• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long off work after bypass?

SCOOBYDOOBYDOO

Hi all,
I am awaiting my first appointment regarding a gastric bypass, I already have the funding in place.
Just trying to find out as much as possible beforehand...I'm very excited and impatient about it all!
How long is the average hospital stay and recovery period before going back to work?
I work in pre-school which also involves a lot of lifting and carrying toys and furniture...though that bit could probably be avoided.
What are your experiences please?
Leanne x

leanne i work as a short break foster carer for disabled children and if it hadnt been for the lifting i could of easily been back in work after 2 weeks. I had a laproscopic bypass. but due to the lifting i was required to take 6 weeks.
hth
carole

Thanks Carole for your reply.
My work colleagues are really good so hopefully I won't have to be off for too long as they will take over any lifting etc involved.
You look great after your weight loss, well done!
Leanne x

Hi Leanne

How exciting for you! I had a 48 hour stay in hospital (one night in ITU which is standard for the Whittington). I was advised to take 4 weeks off work but I was raring to go after three. Its different strokes for different folks really - all depends on how fast you heal and get over the anesthetic. Be guided by your own body and dont try to be a hero and rush back to work if you arent ready, its major surgery.

Hi and thanks for your replies.
I guess it is very different for everybody so will just have to wait and see what happens...x

Hi,

I agree with carol, if I had an office job then 2 weeks would have been fine but I needed 6 weeks off due to the lifting in my job, i also work in a school. I am the short of person who HATES to take time off but I wasn't fit enough untill the 6th week. Luckily my work mates were so helpful towards me.

Good luck with the op.

PS I was in hospital 2 nights. I arrived there the day of the surgery and slept there 2 nights. My surgery was pain free!!!!!

I was told at my first appointment that when i have my surgery (open bypass) i will need 4 weeks off work. But then of course i need to take into account the fact of will i be fit to drive by then? We all heal differently. When i get my surgery, as territorial as i am over my work, i will listen to my body and not my head!

Thanks everyone.
I hate taking time off work and I am at college 2 evenings a week too so worried about that.
But this weight loss is my priority and everything else will just have to fit in around it.
I'm sure I will be able to go to college still as it is not exactly hard physical labour and will just take it a day at a time.
Haven't even had my first appointment yet so am worrying ahead of time. Its all I can think about though at the minute.
Leanne x

Back