• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long until 1st appointment/contact?

Fashionably Late

is a skinny size XS & 6!
Just out of curiosity, how long is it usually from the time your GP refers you until the 1st communication from the hospital or appointment? I am not a patient person and love finding things out, so I thought I would ask. My GP was referring me to Birmingham Heartlands I believe.

Mine took approx 5 months:D

My GP applied for funding 1st which took just under a month. Had a group meeting appointment from surgeo the next month then had a 1 to 1 with surgeon 6 weeks later and op 5 months after that so all in all it took around 10 months.

Thanks! I wish I could feel more positive about this. I just have no faith in paperwork actually being done and I can see myself sitting here for months thinking I have been referred when in reality I haven't.

Can't remember exactly, but it was about 6 weeks.

My doctor said he referred me in November but when I didn't hear anything after Christmas I phoned them. They said they hadn't received it so he sent it again. Again they said they hadn't received it so I got their fax number and he put the name of the person it was to go to. I phoned at the same time and made sure the referral came through and they offered me an appointment at the same time. Nagging sometimes helps! xx

Hi Fashionably late... I have also been referred to Heartlands Hospital. The letter went to them on 5th June 09. I've phoned the appointments twice this week and they have still not received it. The secretary at my gp has also faxed it over and I will check again on Monday.

Are you being referred for the band? It would be nice to keep in touch as we are both at the same hospital. When did your gp refer you & do you know which consultant it is?

I've been referred for the gastric band with Martin Richardson.

I too am very impatient...

From GP referral to first group meeting was a little over 4 weeks....Surgeons's secretary said my one-2-one with him should be about a month after that...

It might have been sooner but my GP did not send the referral straight away...but only by a couple of weeks....(Long story attached to that)

Try to stay optimistic...(easy for one impatient person to say to another..lol)

~hugs~

Hi Fashionably late... I have also been referred to Heartlands Hospital. The letter went to them on 5th June 09. I've phoned the appointments twice this week and they have still not received it. The secretary at my gp has also faxed it over and I will check again on Monday.

Are you being referred for the band? It would be nice to keep in touch as we are both at the same hospital. When did your gp refer you & do you know which consultant it is?

I've been referred for the gastric band with Martin Richardson.

I saw my GP on the 11th and she said she would refer me straight away. She even arranged blood tests for me for the following morning as she was concerned about my health. Plus my blood pressure has been very high lately.

I have no idea which doctor she was referring me to just that it was Birmingham Heartlands. I think I will see if I can find out more information or call the hospital and find out if they received it. I am still trying to research band versus bypass but thinking the bypass might be more appropriate but it will go down to what the surgeon says.

:party0019:I first went to my G.P on the 8th April 09, and everything else flew past . My operation date is the 10th July. Although everyones pct is different in different areas. So have faith you never know.

OMG! That would be amazing and I would be thrilled if this was the case for me!

I too am very impatient...

From GP referral to first group meeting was a little over 4 weeks....Surgeons's secretary said my one-2-one with him should be about a month after that...

It might have been sooner but my GP did not send the referral straight away...but only by a couple of weeks....(Long story attached to that)

Try to stay optimistic...(easy for one impatient person to say to another..lol)

~hugs~

All of these positive stories are making me feel so much better! Thanks!

I saw my endcrinologist on the 5th may 09 and I spoke to surgeons secretary who said they received my referral and I been referred to the dietician already......

all the best - mejulie xx

Thanks so much! My GP also referred me to our PCT's dietician but the earliest date she had was in August. At least I will get to see a dietician twice.

Thanks so much! My GP also referred me to our PCT's dietician but the earliest date she had was in August. At least I will get to see a dietician twice.

I know what you mean f/l as I am seeing one at another hospital but they still require me to see the one connected to my surgeon so I will be seeing two at the same time.....

Back