• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How many calories do you have in a day?

Sharie65

7 weeks post op and averaging 7-900 calories per day according to my fitness pal. Is that enough or too much at this stage ? Know we shouldn't obsess about calories but it still do!
What stage are you and how many calories do you try and stick to?

I'm 6 months out nearly and I'm having around 800 but for such a long time I wasn't able to eat more than 500, at 6 weeks you're still healing don't worry about calories xx

Hi Sharie
Have always hated calorie counting so havent apart from pre surgery when I had to get down 14lb. MFP was a blessing back then and continued post op for the first few weeks, about 400-500 cals.

I'm 6 months post op now and have to listen to my body and feed it when it feels right as dont get proper hunger sensations anymore. Im gonna do a log today and see how much Im taking :)

I don't bother keeping count of calories but have kept a detailed food diary, working it out I seem to be having around 400-500 a day

I have just had a little look back at MFP. I started recording on there at about 10 weeks post op. I was eating about 1000-1200 each day at that juncture. So dont feel that you are overeating. I have always been able to eat anything I wanted as well. While I have never been a fast looser, I still have lost very well, just shy of 10 stone now. Eating a good variety with moderate portions has a real advantage in terms of your long term health.

Nowadays I eat around 1500 kcals a day, but could easily eat 2000+ if I chose too. Remember that we are in control of our diet, not the bypass.

I have just had a little look back at MFP. I started recording on there at about 10 weeks post op. I was eating about 1000-1200 each day at that juncture. So dont feel that you are overeating. I have always been able to eat anything I wanted as well. While I have never been a fast looser, I still have lost very well, just shy of 10 stone now. Eating a good variety with moderate portions has a real advantage in terms of your long term health. Nowadays I eat around 1500 kcals a day, but could easily eat 2000+ if I chose too. Remember that we are in control of our diet, not the bypass.
thank you for reassuring me!
I read on this forum that if you eat too few calories ie below 500 cals your body goes into starvation mode and you stop loosing weight. A well respected poster on this site suggested that 900cals is the optimum. Anyone else got experience of doing well on 900-1000 cals?

Everyone is different. So the optimum, is a very individual thing. It's a case of trial and error to find out what works for you. Personally I lost best at around 1100-1300 a day. But I have a very active job, and have become increasingly active in my life.
If I eat only 900 kcal now im ravenous, lol.
Enjoy these early months, the first 6-9 months is a golden period.

Back