• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calories

Tezza

Hi I am using my fitness pal online to log my calorie Intake. I am 13 weeks post op, how many calories do you suggest I eat a day?

As such it's still early days I used it more initially to log protein intake of 60-100g protein a day. As I are more normally I added the calories into my check list. I started on 1000 a day & at 2yrs post i allow myself 1200 a day plus any additional calories event through exercise if I need them.
Hope that helps

Thank you. Yes the reason I have used it was to monitor my protein intake but thought I'd use the calorie counter part as I feel my weight loss is slow. I ha e been eating around 800 calories a day, protein around 60g only 2 cracker breads a day for carbs and 1.5-2ltr of fluids a day. I just wasn't sure how many calories I should aim for a everything is based on protein.

I think I set the target of 1000cals as that is what I remember being told raising it to 1200 to maintain etc. eventually you will reach those targets as things settle & you eat more normally as I said, sometimes the losses are slow as the body goes through phases where it decides its being starved & hangs onto every last gram it can to protect itself, upping the food , fluids or activity can help other times its a waiting game. For your body to accept the new regime & let go of its fat stores. All part & parcel of this wonderful roller coaster rod to a new us.

Hi, I was told around 1200 cals. I'm about 4.5 months out and I've been on these cals since solids foods. I use my fitness pal and get a regular weightloss. Anything less for me I find I don't lose. I think it's finding what works for you. I do have a lot to lose, so if you don't have as much maybe 1000 cals is better.

I am so early on in my stage 11 days post op but its interesting to see what calories u can get up to and still lose. At the moment my diet is 3 tblspoons of food, they want me to eat 6 times per day but I only manage 4 times. Plus my 2 liters of fluids. Eventually when I am on solids should the plate size be roughly a tea plate size of food ? x

Hi Danielle, I never maned 6 times either usually 4, my plate is like a side plate size and I now have small meals and 2 snacks of fruit in between.

Hi pooh, thank you. I might increase my calories as I don't seem t lose. Maybe I'm not eating enough. Some days I am hungry bu just too scared to have more food. I currently have 3 small meals an 2 snacks of fruit but could eat a little more of a portion. I have around another 9-10 stone to lose so I'll up my 100 at first an see if it works. Funny to think by eating more i could lose more but other by-passers I've spoke to have advised me to up my calorie intake I've just been to scared.

Hi pooh, thank you. I might increase my calories as I don't seem t lose. Maybe I'm not eating enough. Some days I am hungry bu just too scared to have more food. I currently have 3 small meals an 2 snacks of fruit but could eat a little more of a portion. I have around another 9-10 stone to lose so I'll up my 100 at first an see if it works. Funny to think by eating more i could lose more but other by-passers I've spoke to have advised me to up my calorie intake I've just been to scared.

I was the same worrying about eating too much, but when my surgeon said you'd know if you were eating too much as you'd be ill, and you'd feel over full, I realised I was doing okay. I had a stall early on and they told me i wasn't eating enough for my body to work, it was hanging onto those minimal calories, and only when I started eating more did it start the weightloss and it's been a loss every week. Usually around 1kg, sometimes more, sometimes less, but on average that. Ive lost 6 stone since 15 Feb and have about another 12-13 stone to lose!! We can all manage different foods and different portions, so don't compare to others too much as you will be different. I eat five times a day on average: three meals about 300 cals each on average, and two snacks and cups of tea to top up. I feel I eat plenty and am never hungry. Sliced chicken and ham, low fat cheese etc are my snacks which because protein led keep me satisfied ( and I'm a savoury girl!) good luck, and you will find what works for you x

Thanks again pooh, i dont know why i didnt join this forum sooner. its great talking to people in the know. I had had a stall 3 weeks out that lasted for 5-6 weeks, i thought it i hadnt worked for me then again 2 weeks later for 3 weeks. During that time I saw the dietician but nothing much was really said as I was moving from purée to solid. I'm due to see her agin in August as I requested an appointment with her as nothing was happening. I lost 2st myself before the op, 1 stone during pre-op diet and 3st since so 6 in total this year which is great I've never lost that kind of weight before but also have anther 9-10 to lose so a long way to go. If I could see the scale drop by 1kg a week I would be happy at this, so as of today I am upping my calories. I currently have breakfast around 200, lunch and tea around 300 then 2 x 50-100 calorie snacks of fruit but I might make by tea portion bigger as I could eat more then or have a yogurt or something after.
Hopefully next Sunday I will be lighter! Xx

Sounds like a sensible plan. Yes I always have a yoghurt after dinner :) That's about as sweet as I get! Good luck x

Tezza haha thanks but its a wig, I was poison ivy for my happy birthday, made my own costume :D so u only managed only 4 times early stages ? I might get to five if I could get this pain in my side sorted, trapped wind I think :( ringing up tomorrow to find out what gastric nurse says. Have u ever been too full ? because someone said that u get a pain almost like compression feeling high up in ur chest so I think we would know if we ate too much. I am always worrying about something, my worry is I am going to go from 4 meals only 3 tablespoons to having 3 meals and more calories and put on cant win haha always panicking x

Haha, it suits you red, the blonde looks good too! I can't over eat as I'm sick, that one spoon too many and that's it so I've never experienced a full feeling yet. I just couldnt fit 6 meals in, by the time you've waited half hour each side for a drink I was only getting 4 meals in. I just made sure everything I ate was protein. I started to struggle towards the end of the purée stage as the thought of the food made me gag and I was desperate for something with crunch. The first thing I had was watermelon when the dietician said it was ok to move on. I still can't eat anything sloppy now an doubt I will ever eat mash potato again!!

I change my hair all the time haha :D awww yeh ano that's the thing fitting it all in and around ya meals etc. yeh that's what I was thinking if people over eat they are sick. TBH im getting bloody sick now haha week 2 of puree and I put things in a bowl and then throw them away as I cant stomach them. Cereals and yoghurts and fine with, and also dinners and lental soup but anything else im struggling with. Want an egg but I hate the sloppy just like scrambled dry so cant wait for softs and also crispy like an oat cake with cottege cheese. Im dying for some strawberries or cherries aswel haha little things. My little girl had a pre birthday tea as her daddy is at work on Friday for her birthday and my mam did a buffet OMG cakes, homemade sausage rolls, yummy rolls with tuna, homemade curry, first time ive had a little food envy even tho my hubby has had allsorts this week (takeaways) and it never bothered me. Bless my mam made a curry and blitzed all the meat down for me :D friends with protein ;D x

When are you due to see the dietician next? Is it before your due to move on to the next stage? It won't be long an you can't eat all them things in moderation. Bless your mum, they are great aren't they. My mum brought me all kinds of stuff round when I was purée stage. I just wanted something that was refreshing in my mouth an the best thing I had was them Greek style muller lights, the lemon ones. I can't eat them now either I think I had that many them first few weeks. Every day is different now. Some days I can stomach certain things and the next I can't, I struggle with chicken, bacon, bread. I had pork for the first time this weekend and it got stuck so I was sick. I wouldn't change anything tho, it's just a learning curve an when you start seeing results you know it's worth it.

I have my 6 week check in 4 weeks, I am on puree stage for 4 to 6 weeks so probably around a months time :D yeh I figured u must have try those things before u can decide if they are suitable, trial and error i suppose, mams are great :D we r lucky to have that support. I love meat so I hope that it agrees with me haha x

Back