• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calories and mal absobtion...

Porpo

Hi,

just a query for post opers.

I'm 7 weeks post bypass and on normal food now. How many calories/day should I be having?? Also does anyone know how the bypass effects the absorbtion of calories? I mean if a packet says 100cals do we absorb 5% less or does it not work like that?

Xxx

Hi Porpo

I read this message earlier and went of to look at research about calories post bypass as Im not too sure either.

I found a lot about the stuff we already know re protein, b12, vits, calcium and iron but hardly anything on calories. One thing I did find was this

Calorie Intake after Weight Loss Surgery (mods I understamd if you need to remove this link I just didnt want to steal the content of the page without referencing it :) )

it says

Generally 800-1000 calories/day is recommended after roux-en-y. If you've had Lap-Band or Gastric Sleeve weight loss surgery, you can eat a little more and sticking with a 1200 calorie diet should help jump start your weight loss.

Now I dont think I'm having that amount of calories, I think I am having far less than that.

Also note that the advice is from a bypasser like ourselves, not a medical professional.

I think I am going to manually work out on average what I am having each day at the moment.

Good question though

Xx

I dont calorie count at all.

I just try to keep my diet high protein, middle to low carbs, low saturated fat and low sugar, has served me well so far :)

Your body needs calories to burn calories, if you dont have them your body will eventually begin to starve and hold onto the little amount you are giving it as fat.....

:)

Marks right. You need to have to have some wood to start the fire.

Calorie counting doesn't really work for me either... as your a bypasser most things you eat are low in sugar so as long as your protein and veg come first with limited carbs then all should be OK.

My understanding of the adsorbtion was that although it was significant I dont think it was ever about 10%, and it was more in regards to nutrients.

I'm sure more bypassers will be along soon.

Good Luck

I try to stick to 1,000 cals a day, and also like mark says I also stick to low fat, low sugar, and low carbs. I dont drink alcohol , and I drink sugar free juice along with coffee & tea no sugar . But on the whole porpo your doing fantastic upto present. Keep up the good work. Hope this helps Kind regards Gail

I will also be aiming to stay below 1000 cals.

But I did think that some of the cals would be offset by the malabsorption

I have answered this question before as it is a common concern, I have pasted my reply here for you.

As I always say it best to check with your own dietician if you are in doubt of your instructions. I can only offer you my opinion/experiences if that might help.

Your main focus as a bypasser should be on getting enough nutrients daily to keep you healthy while burning fat. The best way to do that in my opinion is to focus on protein as 50% of your diet. At the early post-op stage I have found that people don't need to count calories but rather make sure they are getting 4-6 servings of protein throughout the day. Once you have managed to get your protein up, you can set a caloric goal if you find that easier. But remember as long as you are eating enough daily to stay out of starvation mode, calorie counting isn't needed.

Here is a guideline for calories per day if you find it useful:

In the first 3 months around 400-600 calories per day which 50% should be protein.

From 3-6 months 500-700 cals per day, again 50% protein.

From 6 months to 1 year post-op, 800-1000 cal per day.

Between year one and two you should be able to reach a calorie intake of 1200 per day.

Again at every stage your protein should be 50% of your diet until you reach over 1000 cals then your protein should be about 40% of your diet.

I hope that helps but I do urge you to consult your own team to get advice if you feel unsure, they are the professionals after all and may have completely different advice!

Nic:D

Ah thanks for that Nic :)

That sounds more like what my intake is for the stage I'm at.

For me it is easier tho to focus on getting in the protein and veggies in and try to avoid as many carbs as possible than to count the calories. Still struggling to keep up the protein, today I think will be the first day that I have managed to get to about 65gms, but were getting there :)

Xx

Thanks for this Nic. I am not even thinking of calories at the moment as protein is where it's at, man! I think I'll have to find some other sources of protein though; apart from cheese, milk and minced beef. Today I had a chilli con carne but replaced the kidney beans with chick peas (which are 8g/100g). I think I'll make some hummus tonight as I find that sometimes I just need a little 'something' and if I have hummus with avocado that might hit the spot. I can't wait until I can eat more solid food but I am still having to blitz even stuff like chilli con carne which makes it look yuck!

With the absorption thing, no-one really knows, but most professionals estimate we absorb 50-70% of what we consume.

shel, many congrats! i hope you and baby are doing well...

As for protein....

Kangaroo is high in protein, low in fat and tasty!!! ( sorry skippy! )

I have about 800 cal a day, with the odd day higher and the odd lower... i dont really count them unless im eating something naughty that day like icecream lol

I usually try and keep each meal i eat under 200g in total weight... it helps me keep my portions down... sometimes i eat a wee bit more if its something liquidy like stew or chilli.

:)

.x.

ps. i never treally pay attention to how much protein i eat :S
I try and get fruit in atleast once a day, and i do eat carbs... but not in any huge quantity... however some carbs i dont worry about, like those in fruit or beans etc as i see this as part of a healthy balanced diet :)

Brill post, Nic. I have trouble getting enough cals in because I simply don't like food any more.

It is vital that we consume calories, because as daft as it sounds, we need them to lose weight! My loss has been at a virtual stand still for around two months, simply because I have not been eating enough! Doh!

I am vegetarian and I find it difficult to find protein sources that I can stomach just now

Just tried Laughing Cow low fat triangles and they have been OK.

I have managed 24 grms protein today out of about 700 cals - hope this is enough :S

However I find I can eat without blitzing now as long as I chew REALLY well

Thanks for all the info. I'm counting calories just to make sure that I dont start sneaking them back up without noticing. Now that I'm feeling better physically I think it could be easy to start snacking every few hours and I really dont want to start with that.
x

I have managed 24 grms protein today out of about 700 cals - hope this is enough :S

Hun, you are in no way getting anywhere near enough protein! Your goal should be around 80g per day!!! You are likely at 24g/day to have lean muscle loss instead of fat, you must increase your protein and I really can't stress how urgent that is. I know Candie is a veggie and she has to use protein suppliments to get her protein in but she is also a top loser (5 stone in 5 months) and is very healthy! It is realloy about your health. Do you do eggs & dairy? You can add extra protein to tea, coffee, etc by added scoops of skim milk powder. You can add shredded cheese to everything. You can make yogurt smoothies, add some skim milk powder too. I can't tell you enough times to up your protein or you could end up feeling very ill.

:D
Nic

Brill post, Nic. I have trouble getting enough cals in because I simply don't like food any more.

It is vital that we consume calories, because as daft as it sounds, we need them to lose weight! My loss has been at a virtual stand still for around two months, simply because I have not been eating enough! Doh!

Red, I don't think we hear from this side of the bypass much, so thanks for putting this out there. I think there are more people like you out there who are truly struggling because their enjoyment and desire for food goes out the window. Even though you know you should eat more, you don't because your head is playing tricks on you and telling you to avoid food. Perhaps in your case it would be okay for you to do a bit of grazing so that you eat very little but often, like maybe psych yourself up and say 'I only need to eat one bite' and do that throughout the day. Maybe that would help you get those calories up.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know you have my support so PM me if you want to chat or even if you want me to scold you, haha, I can play the mean teacher if you want. Or I can just listen if you need an ear.

All the best to you doll,
Nic;)

Hun, you are in no way getting anywhere near enough protein! Your goal should be around 80g per day!!! You are likely at 24g/day to have lean muscle loss instead of fat, you must increase your protein and I really can't stress how urgent that is. I know Candie is a veggie and she has to use protein suppliments to get her protein in but she is also a top loser (5 stone in 5 months) and is very healthy! It is realloy about your health. Do you do eggs & dairy? You can add extra protein to tea, coffee, etc by added scoops of skim milk powder. You can add shredded cheese to everything. You can make yogurt smoothies, add some skim milk powder too. I can't tell you enough times to up your protein or you could end up feeling very ill.

:D
Nic

thanks Nic - I know :(

I cannot face yogurt due to pre-op diet :sick0019:

I have ordered some of the things you recommended - the Choc Fudge Protein "pudding" is one of them - and am hoping this will be nice. I am drinking some milk and having veg soup with chick peas whizzed in.... But actually feel ill after eating and my insides feel like a washing machine lol!

Have you thought that maybe you have become lactose intolerant? It does happen to some, you could try soy milk and see if that helps. Also, when I was first on purees I went on a bean kick, had them 2x per day and the unholy sounds in my belly were scary, and the wind, I tell you it was like I was toxic! I went off beans for a couple weeks and presto, felt better. The truth is that beans are great for you but early post-op they are more difficult for your shortened digestive track to digest which is normally a good thing because your body works harder expending more calories digesting food. Except when we are newly post-op difficult to digest food = rumbles in the belly, windy bowels & slight bloating. So my advice would be try a day without beans and see if you son't feel better. You can always start them again in a couple of weeks.

Nic:D

Todays food is 3 laughing cow triangles with 1pt semi sk milk (am adding 1oz dried milk to this to up the protein).

have also had 1 oz of wensleydale with cranberries as a treat :)

This adds up to just over 40grams protein ....

Might try scrambled eggs later?

Sounds much better hun!:D

Back