• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much time do you really need off work?( heavy manual job)

Flumpyflower

How much time do you really need off work post Gastric Bypass ?

my job is fast paced, i'm on my feet all shift and breaks are few and far between. Need to arrange surgery very far in advance if going to be absent for a number of weeks in order to sort out work for when I'm off.

Everyone is different, so there are no hard and fast times. The normal time would be anywhere between one and six weeks but some may need more.

The hospital will give you a sick note so make sure you tell them about your job so that they can adjust the time accordingly.

Good luck on your journey xx

my job is fast paced, i'm on my feet all shift and breaks are few and far between. Need to arrange surgery very far in advance if going to be absent for a number of weeks in order to sort out work for when I'm off.
I would suggest 6 weeks minimum if you are doing manual work from experience. The keyhole wounds can be deceiving when calculating how big an op it is. Having had many stomach surgeries both full cut and key hole, and have done manual work in the past in a warehouse, I know I wouldn't have wanted to go back before then. Healing from an op usually takes about 6 weeks (I remember when you had to routinely go back for a 6 week check up before you could go back to work). You will also need to factor in the tiredness, not just from the op, but also from the lack of calories/nutrients you are taking in, and the adjustments to diet in the different stages that can be difficult to manage when on the go.

Best to ask your surgeon what they recommend though.

I work disabled people and team and gp were aware of that so when chatting with the sugeron she was very firm about taking 3 months off! At first I thought way too much and I fine after around 6 weeks but didnt think about how little energy I had just getting up,dressed took it out of me! So I did use all my time off and I don't regret it as was needed

I had 7 weeks off and I have a mainly desk job - there is the healing internally and externally, the energy levels, but also being able to eat as regularly as you need to - my GP wanted me eating ok on solids before going back. I found I had to eat 3 meals a day but also have at least 2 protein rich snacks mid morning and mid afternoon, because I was getting light headed. You also need to be able to drink regularly otherwise you will easily get dehydrated.

Back