• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off work...

simplylucy

I have my first consultation on 5th June. This is after years of debating!

I'm wondering how much time I'll need off work after having a gastric band fitted? Some of the things I have read suggest 2 weeks.

Now my problem is I'm a mum of 4 aged between 6 and 11 plus I'm a childminder. As far as work goes at the moment I'm just doing before and after school. So all I'll need to do is go on the school run, the school is about 100m from my house, probably a little less actually.

Do you think I'll be up to the school run 3-4 days after surgery? :rolleyes:

This surgery is very important to me but fitting it in to my schedule is a nightmare! :rolleyes:

I'm hoping my clinc does Saturday surgery (forgot to ask on the phone), in which case would be handy if I just take Monday and Tuesday off then do the school run on the Wednesday.

Whoops, I'm babbling now, I tend to do that. If you catch me babbling then feel free to tell me to shut up! :D

Hiya Lucy, I would give yourself a week at least before you do the school run...make arrangements for someone to help you with things like that for a couple of weeks to allow for feeling rough after. I was a lot bigger than you and felt pretty awful the first week and a bit. If it turns out you feel fine after a week, then great. Obviously it's going to be different for everyone.
Your work is pretty demanding so at least a fortnight to 3 weeks off. I personally was pretty bad after my op and had to stay in for an extra day plus a week feeling pretty awful..then a further 3 weeks before I felt back to normal.
That's worse case scenario though so I would say to you , over-estimate the time you'll need to cover yourself and give yourself peace of mind.
I'm sure there are plenty of superwomen and men who will say they felt fine almost immediately after the op but make sure you allow yourself a bit of time to be flexible.

I think that sounds like a good idea, it does fly by and you are going to be really busy with work as you say. In the meantime you will have lots of opportunity to look around the forum and get to know us. There's a lot of good advice and info on here and lots of really lovely people willing to support you, so it will give you the best possible start for life with a band.
Having the op when you are juggling too much work and home life at its most frantic is not going to help you recover the best or absorb everything and get your head round a new way of eating etc.

Not much help as I'm a bypasser and its only early days for me but definitely make time for yourself to heal properly and get your energy levels back before you take on too much x

Hi

I took a week off work following my band and was given the all clear from my GP to go back to work. The important thing to remember is that everyone is different, people recover from the op in many different ways, so unfortunatly you wont know how you will be until you have the op - not much help I know, sorry. As long as your childminding doesnt involve lifting (doesnt sound like it does if its before and after school) you should be fine pretty soon after the op.

Good luck x

Back