• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much weight do you lose?

Serapis Bey

Hello,

I've been told that my RNY gastric bypass operation is in Jan 2011 so I dont have long to wait.

Im just wondering how much weight you lost & if there's a way of controlling how much you loose.

This might sound really strange but my dream is to be a size 16-14. I don't really want to be any smaller than this because I look the best at this size. I also have a fear of loosing my bum.

I am a big built woman & was size 14-16 when I weighed 14.2 stones. I'm currently around 21.12 stones so would ideally like to lose 8 stones in total.

I'm currently a size 26.

So I guess my question is:

Is it feasible to stay at a size 14-16 after a gastric bypass or will you end up smaller than that?

Thanks in advance

I was told around 60% of your excess weight, so you can work it out from that.

Hi
I had my surgery January 2010 and have lost 12 stone so far or there abouts, which makes me 15.6 and a size 16-18.
I am still loosing approx 4lb per week i cant stop it yet but dont want to .....hope this helps xx

well i started off at 20 stone 3 lbs the day of my op, and so far i have lost 3 stone in 3 months, but i know we are all different at losing weight, so none can really say how much or how long it will take hun . i went almost 6 weeks without losing an ounce, .

It really does depend on the person but if you want to lose 8st and no more it's very possible to eat enough to maintain, especially once you get past the 6 month mark as it definately slows down for most people after then.

I started off at 20 stone 1lb on day of op and was told to expect to lose about 6 stone approx. 14 months in i now seem to hover between 10 stone 10lbs and 10 stone 13lbs so that may be me now. I orignally wanted to be a size 14/16 but i'm a 10/12 and delighted. The only way i know of to try and stop weight loss before its natural stop is to up your calories and eat higher fat foods x

awwww was very intresting reading this thread as i wondered this too thats for all the information, uv all been really helpful, good luck with ur surgery jan 2011 hun xx

Thank you all for answering my questions. This place is so informative, you've given me much more information than my surgeon lol!

Thanks again :)

One of our support group mentors had lost 18 stone in 10 months and was struggling to STOP losing, so had to double her intake to maintain. She really struggled initially, but its worked and she has stablilised now
x

One of our support group mentors had lost 18 stone in 10 months and was struggling to STOP losing, so had to double her intake to maintain. She really struggled initially, but its worked and she has stablilised now
x

WOW thats alot!!!

Can't see how to delete it entirely! :eek:

Last edited:
As much as we re are all individuals, our bodies are individual too. Some lose steadily, some lose bumpily (stalling and restarting), some lose rapidly and stall for lengthy periods and some suffer from chronic malabsorbtion and cannot stop losing without having to resort to eating high calorie/fatty diets!

The best thing to do is not to look too far ahead. Walk steadily to your op date, baby steps all the way post-op and listen to your body.

And keep talking on here!

All the very best. x

As much as we re are all individuals, our bodies are individual too. Some lose steadily, some lose bumpily (stalling and restarting), some lose rapidly and stall for lengthy periods and some suffer from chronic malabsorbtion and cannot stop losing without having to resort to eating high calorie/fatty diets!

The best thing to do is not to look too far ahead. Walk steadily to your op date, baby steps all the way post-op and listen to your body.

And keep talking on here!

All the very best. x

Very true xx

I am jealous off all of you who can't stop loosing.
I know, I know - shallow, but for me it feels like that after initial weight loss now I have to add some work to loose weight and it is not going to come off by itself.

When I had my op I had been something over 24 st (but not 24 1/2) and lost a stone on my 2 pre-op diets.

The dietician came to see me and said that 18 months was the time in which they envisaged losing the most weight - and that 2lb loss a week (anything over is muscle not fat) over a year was just over 7 st. Wonderful thought 10 1/2 st off in 18 months time.

I've lost 13 1/2 - and have really slowed down in the last couple of months - lose a pound here gain one there - would love to lose the extra 7lbs to 200 lb off and/or BMI 25 but if it doesn't happen it doesn't matter.

Everyone is different - I would have been happy with 14-15st - so being in the 10's is absolutely bloomin amazing - more amazing are the size 10-12 clothes!!

xx

I don't think its as easy as wanting to stop! I think (me personally thinks that is), having never being able to remember being smaller than a size 14 and imagining it now is incomprehensible. Maybe when you get to your weight you think you want to be you will rethink. However as i told my hubby who loves every roll on my body, i can't stop it, it's a rollercoaster running under its own steam :) Hth xx

Back