• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How on earth can you eat and drink enough

Josiegirl

I know I should consume adequate calories and protein etc for healing and to drink loads of water. I am five days post op and am really struggling. I have only managed around 200 calories so far today so any advice or tips you could provide would be SO welcome :)

At first you physically can't manage much calorie wise gradually as you heal & move through the stages you will for the time being do your best to have high protein liquids and keep the fluid intake up let your body guide you each time you eat try a little more some meals or days you'll manage it sometimes you won't but keep trying slow & steady does it. You'll get there.

Thank you for that :). So grateful. Sitting here alone trying to work it out LOL

I am relieved that it is not imperative to get it all right from the start.

My problem is that I can't manage more than 50/60mils at the moment of soup or protein shake. When I try to sip water after 30 mins I get terrible wind pain in my chest and front of left shoulder. I have only managed to down two glasses so far today.

Think it will perhaps be easier if I relax and take it one day at a time. Was scared I would damage myself :)

if you sip very slowly and savour every drop of your shake you'll find it will pass through your pouch much easier ................ remember theres no rush ;)

simple answer is you cant lol not for a while anyway im 14 weeks post op and most days still i cant reach that target so i eat what i can thats how i deal with it whether its right or wrong is another question but ive lost 6.5 stone and i feel great we are all different on this i guess but this is how i do it

You can't. But that is rather the point. Post op your body can be burning through 3,000 cals a day, you will be lucky to consume 1,000, hence the rapid post-op weight loss. If all else fails, go back to milk. It is a good source of all you need, it's easy to digest and you can mix things in it such as skimmed milk powder or protein whey to add "good" calories and protein. Don't rush it, enjoy the weight loss, your first plateau will come soon enough!

Chris

One of the things I did which was lovely was some vanilla flavoured pouring yogurt two bananas and a spoon of nas peanut butter liquidise it and leave it in the fridge and it lasts for a couple of days so no rush to drink it I have just finished my liquid stage and it does get easier as time goes on

I think I have solved a bit of the water problem. I switched to Crystal Light today and it goes down much easier. Have drunk three large glasses so far which is a huge improvement.

Thanks to you all I am not so worried about it all now and am going to take each day at a time.

So far today I have had

am Half mug warm skimmed milk
bf 100ml Total 0% Greek Yogurt
mid morning 100ml Protein and vitamin shake
lunch 100ml Home made leek and potato soup

Planning a snack of sf jelly later. Had 3 glasses crystal light and working on number four.

Can't wait to make that totally delicious sounding banana and peanut butter smoothie.

You guys are ace :D

Hiya, Glad its getting easier for you :eek:).
What is Crystal Light and where do you get it?

I think I have solved a bit of the water problem. I switched to Crystal Light today and it goes down much easier. Have drunk three large glasses so far which is a huge improvement.

Thanks to you all I am not so worried about it all now and am going to take each day at a time.

So far today I have had

am Half mug warm skimmed milk
bf 100ml Total 0% Greek Yogurt
mid morning 100ml Protein and vitamin shake
lunch 100ml Home made leek and potato soup

Planning a snack of sf jelly later. Had 3 glasses crystal light and working on number four.

Can't wait to make that totally delicious sounding banana and peanut butter smoothie.

You guys are ace :D

Yes please do tell us what is Crystal Lite? :D

Crystal light is a form of powdered sugar free lemonade crystals. Non fizzy. You mix one sachet with four cups of water and it makes a delicious drink. I only have the lemon flavour but it comes in a nice variety of flavours. I got mine from Amazon.com

Thanks - will check it out. :D

Back