• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How soon can you exercise after surgery????

lynne08

I know there are numerous threads on here but just wondered how soon can you start to use an indoor exercise bike after bypass? I'm 2 weeks post op today, bored, and looking for things to clean ...... and guess what I've spotted? yes you guessed it ..... one very dusty exercise bike that I thought I may be able to use now! is it too soon?

thanks
Lynne
xxx

I am not sure if it's when you feel ready. Just be careful how many calories you burn compared to what you manage to eat.

How's it all going? Can't believe you're two weeks today already! Flying by :)

I had a word at the gym last night and others who had GB waited about 6-8 weeks to start gentle exercise, i asked as i will need to freeze my membership for 2 months save me paying when i can't go :)
Im going to start walking then walking in the swimming pool.

I definately think it's 2 early yet. I am 2 and a half weeks out and went back to work yesterday as a window cleaner, I only did a few jobs and last night I had a nagging pain in my stomach. Today I am sitting on the couch!!!!

I was told yesterday to get going after 2 weeks move more and do what I feel comfortable with. I was told the people who start exercising in the first 6 week lost more and generally heal better............. but as my team said don't over do it small steps walk a little more and so on.

Thanks guys! I thought it may be a little soon, so I'm going to start with some short walks to get me going! be more than I did before!
xxx

Well you know my experience with indoor exercise equipment, Lynne :eek: lol.

Walking is the only exercise I did for the first 6 weeks building up to around 4 miles a day ... now the weather has turned we have bought a treadmill but its not the same as being out in the fresh air :( not to mention the fact that we only sold our last one in the summer last year. I wouldn't recommend the cycle though as it is a constant up & down motion on your tummy ... stick with the walking until your 6 week check up, honey, mwah xxx :):)

I had my surgery 2 days after you and im gonna just stick with walking for 6 weeks to allow my insides to heal.... then i may dust off my excercise bike too lol xx

After you posted this my bariatric nurse rang me, I asked her and she said no weights, at all until I've had post op check. Gentle exercise on the bike or treadmill ok from 4 weeks post op. She said no marathons!

mariew said:
After you posted this my bariatric nurse rang me, I asked her and she said no weights, at all until I've had post op check. Gentle exercise on the bike or treadmill ok from 4 weeks post op. She said no marathons!

Awh darn it. I was going to do a marathon this week. Looks like it'll have to be put off lol ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back