• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How soon after..

lclucy89

How soon after the operation are you able to exercise?

Thanks xx

Which op did you have . . . ?
I had open RNY ~ I was told to start walking ASAP and to use the stairs as often as I could (even for pleasure!). Running, swimming and alike should be left until after your first post op appointment real weight training which might put a strain on your abdomen should be left alone for about 6 months (our your 2nd post op appointment). xx

I too had an 'open' bypass and the information told to all of us under Walsall Manor are as follows:

No housework or lifting for 6 weeks post surgery.
Walking about as soon as possible after surgery is recommended, not only does it risk the chance of a deep vein thrombosis, it helps shift the wind pains and is a good way of gentle exercising without straining your abdomen.

Okay so most people seem to have keyhole surgery, should this affect their exercise or aftercare? I personally don't think the rules should be any different. No housework or lifting for six weeks and definitely no gym work until you've taken advice at your 6 weeks post op appt from your consultant.

I have so many friends who've had wls who have ended up with hernias post op, i personally have only just doing abdominal exercises and warned my gym trainer that i was wary because of my open surgery. But now a year post op i think i will just have to bite the bullet and do it...

Good luck xx

I'm 6 weeks post op and itching to do some exercise. I do a lot of walking already thanks to the dog. I had to cancel my post op appt for next week so won't be seeing the surgeon til the week after. But I had keyhole surgery with no complications and haven't had any pain since week 4.

So other than walking, what type of exercise is suitable and doesn't put pressure on the stomach?

I have a wiifit plus I can use.

Im 17 weeks out doing easy level stuff at gym,10 mins cycle,10 mins treadmill,5 mins rowing,12 reps leg arm inner and outer muscles.10 mins recumbant cycle to cool down.15 mins in total at very gentle level.No crunches,lunges or weight lifting yet!Maz x

Even keyhole surgery makes us susceptible to hernia risks for up to 12 weeks so I was told to lift nothing heavier than a jug of water for 12 weeks. I was walking and doing very light abdominal exercises an hour after getting back to my bed, and continued increasing the time each day until I reached 60 minutes of walking a day.

At around 12 weeks I was using a stationary bike for 45 mins a day then at six months I joined the gym and started weight lifting etc.

Each surgeon seems to have their own opinion about time scales for exercise so speak to them and follow their advice. Before you embark on any new routine you should get this cleared by your surgeon or GP, and if you want to lift weights make sure you get advice from a personal trainer who will write you up a plan. Most gyms will make you do an induction anyway so use this to get a good programme for you to follow.

So no personal training sessions soon for me then??!

So no personal training sessions soon for me then??!

Well yes of course you can :D but not right now :D:D once your surgical team clear you for it go for it, but not until then.

Also try to get a PT who has experience of post op WLS patients, as you will need a cardio/resistance program that is in line with your reduced calorie/carb intake xxx

I am coming up to three weeks post op bypass. I was going to start on the wii fit, is it too soon then? Or if I stick to just 15 mins a day just doing the stepping and avoiding anything too strenuous, will that be ok? I don't want to give myself an injury but at the same time want to start incorporating exercise into my routine.

Ps a lot of you mention lifting. Is it not a good idea to be lifting my daughter yet? She weighs 20 kgs.

Thanks

Julie

I was told to avoid lifting anything heavier than a jug of water for 12 weeks because the entry points present a hernia risk. I guess the risk is slight and there will be times you have to pick up your little one, however speak to your surgical team and get their view.

Back