• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how soon did you have a drink?

kevinireland

Well guys had my band last Monday the 14th everything's going well apart from the wind . Was just wondering how soon after having your band fitted did you have a drink. I'm going to a 40th birthday party next Friday and if I'm not having a drink there going to be questions asked . I haven't told any of my friends or family about my op. I was wondering if it would be ok to have a couple of glasses of red wine .

Cheers Guys

Just go steady if you do have some wine, you wont be getting many calories in from food so the wine will go straight to your head x

Can't you just say you're on antibiotics or driving? Personally I think drinking even one glass of alcohol so soon after surgery is just foolish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I had my first glass of wine post op about 4 months after surgery and it went straight to my head. I also had one last week and not quite so instantaneous but after about 1/3 of another one (sorry both of these were spritzers) i'd had enough, but i'm not much of a drinker... I'm afraid i'm a killjoy who would rather use the calories on food and apart from that i'd rather have a nice cuppa....

In all honesty i think your mad drinking so early post op, it's hard for banders anyway as you have to have supreme willpower and to test it at 2 weeks post op???

Could you not offer a few people a lift to the party that way you are 'designated' driver and can blame them when you can't have a drink.... When i say blame i mean the jokey comments of ''blooming Aunty Betty, can't have a drink cos i'm driving her home'' ha ha...

Best of luck either way x

It is slightly different for Banders than bypassers, however I agree with Shellbell if I were you I find a good reason not to drink so early out. But then I don't drink at all so I'm kind of biased x

I was not given any direct rule regarding alcohol apart from the fact that you may experience getting drunk quicker and on less. Also remember it's empty calories, so of no real benefit to you.

I would say go gently but enjoy...any weird effects stop immediately and just walk round with it. Also dont worry so much what others think - tis none of their business.

This is not a prison sentence but a new way of life, one where food no longer controls us and the guilt of eating possibly one or two bad things should not be there... and only you know how yours should be :)

it's hard for banders anyway as you have to have supreme willpower and to test it at 2 weeks post op???

Erm we have a little thing called restriction from the band to help us along! its more of a committment to healthy eating and exercise than supreme willpower :D

Erm we have a little thing called restriction from the band to help us along! its more of a committment to healthy eating and exercise than supreme willpower :D

Oh i have restriction Maz so know that, but you have to use supreme willpower to choose the right thing....

Oh i have restriction Maz so know that, but you have to use supreme willpower to choose the right thing....

No its just chosing not to or a case of not being able to, pretty much the same as any restrictive WLS.

For instance Im sure you could eat simple carbs that would slip through your stoma just as I could and they would slip through my band but I dont and you dont?

In fact there are alot more things since my last fill I cant eat even if I wanted to. I dont have a sweet tooth so there is no willpower required there to avoid chocolate etc, I dont dump (as banders dont) but it would seem alot of bypassers dont either.

At almost 2 years out the reduction in portion sizes and limiting carbs has been the key to my success.

Sorry to highjack your thread Kev x

Last edited:
No probs Mazza very valid points . I think the band is more of a portion controller for me as i haven't got a sweet tooth either .

Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for the band :D

Hope the wind shifts soon, it can be really uncomfortable x

They will probably remove them to check your sticthes (if you had any) are ok and dissolving.

Hope it goes well.

Ha ha, its your thread so highjack away!

Wow glue, you will have really neat scars then. I did have some stitches and yes mine were dissolvable. I suppose each surgeon does their own thing though.

Keep on moving with the wind it does ease Kevin...... Personally I didnt drink until 3 months post op, and that wasnt because I couldnt, I chose not too until I mastered the food part properly, because they way I looked @ it was like this - If your not eating properly ( I mean your on fluids/mush still etc)then calorific wise I didnt wanna feel weak/sick with booze so I stuck too food, I think I was worried about the whole drinking/eating senario etc and was a tad scared of how I would feel if I had a drink without eating enough food. But that was MY choice....Each too their own - Enjoy the party. xx

Back