• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how soon did you have a drink?

Ah my name sake and fellow countryman . . . the dreaded drink (feck feck drink drink drink – Father Ted) . . . I am pre op (bypass) . . . one of my main concerns was/is not being able to have a beer with the lads (post op) – I have been told that I will be able to drink the odd half and that I would struggle to drink a full pint anyway – I was advised to drink red wine (which after all is supposed to be good for you) but that it would go straight to my head however, it would also fade very quickly (no hangover) BUT beware, if you are breathalysed you may fail on just one drink (I don’t understand the science)! ! !

I had a couple of glasses about 10 days after my op and I was fine - I also have not told any friends or family so its a bit of a secret mission!!!

Kevin

Another 3 days and we can take plasters off!

I havent had too much wind, just ruddy itching lol
Went out last night but only drank a j2o but really struggled with it.

Just been for a 3 mile wobble/amble to the shops, and now just downloaded a fitness app (runkeeper pro) for iphone, will test it tomorrow.

Good to hear from you windy I'm going to see Wendy tomorrow id say she will probably change them . Hows every thing going ? How you finding the liquid part ? Oh id say you'll have an itch for a while that little old nurse done a number on you with the razor before the op LOL

so unfair, me being single and I get the old dragon

I think I had my first drink at around 3 months post-op...difficult to remember exactly now...I'm a bypasser & it didn't/doesn't affect me any differently to before my op. My provider never said anything about avoiding alcohol, let alone not drinking for a year, and I didn't have the op to become a teetotaler anyway! I have the odd glass or two here & there, as & when I fancy it, but I definitely drink far less now than I did before my op....why? Mainly I suppose because alcohol is empty calories & I had the op so I would no longer be a fat git! The reason why alcohol can affect bypassers more post-op is because alcohol is absorbed directly from the stomach....tiny pouch = getting p*ssed quicker I guess? (Not that it works for me, lol!) Incidentally, my best friend had her band fitted 3 weeks ago privately by The Hospital Group, they recommend abstaining for 5 days only after the op & in fact quote in their literature that people who have the odd tipple are more likely to do better than those that don't.....make of that what you will...not sure I agree personally! I think basically a small glass isn't going to hurt if you fancy it.

Its very strange how provider info is so different . Its confusing sometimes . I think ill have a couple of glasses of red this weekend .

Cheers Guys for all your replies this place is a godsend...

Kevin

Just had my dressings taken off as one had got wet in the shower, nurse inspected and said they can stay off,, it was 7-10 days they could come off any.

Back