• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how to get comfy in bed??? :(

uglyduck16

Hiya everyone,
Each day i am feeling a bit better, and another step forward on my road to recovery.
But it is just night time that i struggle with, i find it SO HARD to get comfy! :(
I can't lie on my front- wayyy to much pressure and aowchy , can't get comfy on my side, and on my back i can't really get comfy, i am sleeping on my back but i find it a nightmare to find a comfy possition. :cry::(
How do you all get comfy in bed to be able to sleep?? Has anyone got any tips or anything to share that might help?? :confused:
Xxx Lizzie xxX

an A pillow and a few normal soft pillows i foung great as it elevates you similar to the hospital beds, i found that was the best way for me.

I have really struggled withhow best to get comfy myself, here is what I came up with in the early post-op days:

1)When on your back, tuck a pillow behind your knees and layer the pillows behind your head so that you have your full shoulders and a little of your back raised on the pillows. Sorta like Liz said, it is like the hospital bed.

2) When on your side, lean towards the bed placing your belly onto a pillow and pop a small pillow/cushion between your knees. Bring you knees slightly up towards your belly, adjust the angle to your comfort. This helps pull your spine into a curve which is more comfortable.

Hope that helps you get comfy.;)

I know how you feel, it was my biggest bug bear about the whole proceedure...but in a few weeks time you will be sleeping like a baby again.

I am a stomach sleeper, so the first few weeks were horrid for me, luckily we have a recliner sofa, so I slept on that for a week.

One small bit of advice is make sure you pain relief has kicked in too, that sort of helps you nod off. I also napped during the day if I needed too, and decided not to feel guilty if my body said sleep.

Yes pillows is the way to do it....I can now happily sleep without them and whats more as my tummy is reducing its getting better sleeping on my tum....just been told by a neighbour I dont actually have a tum which made me feel good as thats where I seem to have lost a lot...xx

Thank you everyone for your replies :hug99:
I suppose it is just a game of trile and error. How long is it untill i will be able to sleep comftably (sp?!) on my tummy again because i do normally sleep on my front??
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Everyone is different Lizzie so it will be hard to tell just keep on trying. I know when I first tried to sleep on my left side I felt as if something heavy was hanging inside me this has eased off now. It will get better though...xx

Lizzie, it took me 4-5 weeks if I am honest but everyone is different.

I just found that one morning I woke up on my tummy....I think the body lets us know.:)

It has only been 5 days since my op, so i suppose it is early days... i need to try and be more patient!!! :rolleyes: LOL!!!
Xxx Lizzie xxX

sorry not much help as i have a memory foam matress and pillow and was sleeping on my side from day 2 and back on my belly after 1 week.
Years ago when i had my gall bladder out i found raising my matress as apposed to padding up with pillows helped. Hope you find a comfy position
HC

I still can't lay on my side and I'm 5 weeks post op. I prop myself up for 3 pillows and a V pillow.

sorry not much help as i have a memory foam matress and pillow and was sleeping on my side from day 2 and back on my belly after 1 week.
Years ago when i had my gall bladder out i found raising my matress as apposed to padding up with pillows helped. Hope you find a comfy position
HC

I have got a memory foam matress, so maybee soon i might be able to be back on my front. Thank you this is really encouraging!!!
Thank you also to everyone else for your replies- you all are fab!!

I'm 15 days post op and I'm still not able to sleep on my side or tummy. My scar is still very painful and its opening up so I'm having to prop my self up with pillows like in the hospital. I don't move at all in my sleep once I do fall asleep, woke up this morning with the tv remote still in my hand.. oh and the tv still on lol. I tend to do some midnight viewing if I wake up and can't sleep again. I'm hoping this does n't last too long cause its making me feel crap!! Excuse my language :sigh:

I found the star fish position worked best for me ! maybe its different for men as i only had a couple of uncomfortable nights and then found myself naturally rolling onto my front !

Back