• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How to make smoothies not go foamy...

TurtleGal

Hey all :) I am on the puree stage and I'm REALLY frustrated. I've been trying to make fruit smoothies with protein powder as something nice and different but every time I try it just ends up being totally foamy. I've tried not adding the powder until the end and it makes no difference, even the smallest pulse causes it to foam up.

Tonight I put some strawberries with some water in the blender, blended that up and then added a scoop of vanilla protein powder. I just HIT the pulse button and just in that amount of time it turned to one big foam fest.

I poured it in a glass and now I have a bit about as thick as my thumb on the bottom that is separated and the rest of the glass is just foam. BLEEEH!!

Does anyone have any advice?

PurpleKylie22

You could try blitz-ing the fruit and the powder together into a puree and then stir that into the milk?

penelope1008

I used fresh, drained tinned or frozen fruits about a quarter cup, the same of 0% homemade Greek or natural yoghurts (low fat purchased ones are just as good), and semi-skimmed milk & a scoop of protein powder. I used a hand blender & whilst it foamed a bit it made a wonderful thick smoothie that tasted delicious. As you sip slowly through it the foam isn't a problem as it disappears leaving you with a lovely thick shake. Hope that helps.

Raynebubble

i am rubbish at making smoothies but penelopes idea is a good one xx

MissyMustDoIt

serial cryer!!
do you have to blitz the protein powder? i mean, make the smoothie as per norm and then stir the powder in with the spoon?

penelope1008

I did purely to make sure it was well mixed in with everything else & no chance of lumps of it in the smoothie but I suppose if you mixed it to a paste with some milk before adding to the blitzed fruit & stirring it in.

TurtleGal

I figured it out in the end. The key was to make the fruit separate with a bit of milk, and then put the powder with a bit of milk in the shaker and do them both apart. Then mix them together when in the glass. Putting the whey protein anywhere near the blender was what was causing the foam.

Paula Garner

When I was on purée I used pouring yogurt to make my smoothies. Just chuck in some frozen berries, half a banana, vanilla soya pouring yogurt and some milk. Blitz it all and strain to get the pips out :)