• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how to stay focused?

wencho

im looking for a bit of help/advice on how to stay on track and stay focused....
my problem is the last few weeks ive felt so stressed and my head has been all over the place so ive seeked a solution in the only place i knew how.......the wrong place.....SMOKING!!!!!........
i know its wrong so dont need lectures and i havent been havin the 20 a day i used to have just the odd 1 here n now...i no i need to never do this again so what advice can you give me to stay in the zone????....
ive set myself a knew stop smoking target which i WILL stick to but i dont want the mind games....is this possible??

im pre op with a nurses app at the begining of aug so i no its not 2 late for me to make the changes!!

I dont smoke and never have but just wanted to wish you luck !

Have you attended any quit smoking clinics at your GP?

i had stopped for 3 and a half months before i lost my way so i no i can do it again its just how to change my stress habit of reachin for that into something else that i need guidence for.
im aware i wont get the op if i take up smoking again properly and im also aware of the dangers of being a smoker for the op and pre op recovery...its just a head game lol

Oh dear it must be tough, hopefully someone will be along with some good tips for you - good luck! x

I don't smoke. But what's the big deal here, stop beating yourself up. You can't suddenly become perfect overnight. So you have a few cigaretts - but you've managed to cut down. It's impossible to make all these changes and stick to them. One thing at the time I'd say, as long as you know what you have to do and are heading the right way just relax. By relaxing you'll need the smoking less and less!!

xx.

wencho, i know how you feel,its so hard to keep that will power going,and its not just for the first few days ,when people are saying how good you are for giving up,they assume once youve stopped for a few days ,that your a non smoker,and its much harder than that, but i think ya being hard on yourself,youve had a slip up,,,so? , tomorrows another day,,,,every day i need a ciggy ,i just worry about that day ,and get through it as best i can,then the next,,im 7 months stopped now ,and i just look at it as if everyday i dont smoke ,is a day nearer my surgery,,sorry no great words of wisdom but i hope it helps to know people understand how your feeling xxxxgood luck xxxx,,oh and as silly as it sounds, everytime i want a ciggy, i brush my teeth,dunno why but i even if it dont help my teeth look great ! lol x

I used to be a smoker, allbeit a light one (5 to 10 a week) and had stopped 4 yrs ago. Around 5/6 weeks ago, I bought a pack of 20 and they were gone in 5 days...
This was because I was trying to diet and deal with too much stress at the same time. My advice to you would be, don't beat yourself up about it - what's done is done! Deal with one thing at a time, so, if you can sort out the cause of the stress, then do that first. If not, try and something else instead of the ciggie - an apple, a mint,.. something to freshen your mouth rather than make it feel rotten. Maybe go and clean your teeth??...
I also would set yourself a date to get into your pre-op diet, and stick to it. You really don't want to leave it too late to work and find your appointment being cancelled...
I know it's easy for us to say, but you can do it. Best of luck to you.

cicca your right im not perfect and i do no the end is near 4 my op so i no what i need 2 do...hopefully that will be enough...starr my teeth would be sparkling lmaoooo...its a must to try!!!...i had what i hope was my last 1 last night..i feel different and more relaxed...i just need a stress free 4 months in the run up 2 op?????? yeh right thats never guna happen eh lol....the odd 1 isnt bad but it makes me feel upset and dissappointed with myself and that ive let my family down....another vicious circle????!!!! oh what a life lol

youve not let anyone down love , its life,your just angry with yourself , i know when i tried to stop before ,if i had a ciggy i was like a naughty school kid , hiding away,,cos i thought i was letting everyone down,then getting depressed and guilty,then going on the defencive ,saying if i wanna smoke ,il smoke ! im not a kid!,,(stamping my feet ,just like a spoilt brat!),,,,it was like dieting for me ,id make this big anouncment and tell everyone ,im giving up smoking or im losing weight this time ,then get upset when they had an opinion on my failure to do it,, you cant do it for anyone but you ,when i stopped at new year , i never told anyone , then if i slipped up ,no one would know,the pressure was off and i stopped,over the weeks people noticed i wasnt smoking ,dunno how i had the time to smoke 40 a day looking back,youl get there love x

starr ur a star!!!!!!! some great words of support and encouragement not just for me but anyone who finds themselves in the same position....this whole process is such a head stress worrying about losing enough weight pre op etc that it makes u want 2 smoke more just 2 settle the nerves a bit lol...a know aslong as ive no smoke in my system pre op bloods n am not a smoker meeting the surgeon that il b ok....just need 2 get the nicotine out my head lol

Go quietly to a hypnotist and don't make a big deal of it. Take one day at a time and don't stress if you need to have a ciggie. I used to smoke but it wasn't really hard to quit so I don't really know your struggle sorry. Or go to the doctor for help. Xx good luck

A friend of mine quit six weeks ago with these electronic cigarettes, she was hard core too.

My sister has just started them after being a smoker for 20 years. It's a vicious circle because in times of stress we all head for our friend whether it be cigarettes or food....

Maybe you should give yourself a 'reaction' every time you have a smoke? As in every 'action' deserves a 'reaction'. Say if you want a cigarette you can have it when you've been on a twenty minute walk around the block or such? Would you want it bad enough to do the walk?

Good luck to you anyway my lovely, any addiction is hard to beat but you did it once and you can do it again :) Just think 'slim n sexy and smelling of cigarettes' is not the look you want :) xx

i will get there, ive done it before i just made a slip up which ive noticed most smokers seem to do so a few times before they actually stop...i need this op so i need to stop...surely that should keep me focused?!!! id like to hope so...ive got a few weeks still where if i slip up i wont get mad at myself i will jst start again and remember my time limit!!! thank you all!!!

Back