• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how long??

Laura b

2011 a new begginning
hi just a quick question really, i know all hospitals are differant and have differant ways of doing things but from when u got refered for surgery by ur dr how long did u wait for a letter for ur first appointment, i understand ill probably have a long wait for surgery and things but the thing is i wanna get started on a diet,, but not till ive seen the surgeon is this wrong? well i dont wanna be to light for them to say i carnt have it, i doubt i would be but u understand wat i mean, im not trying to put on weight but wanna stay the same for my appointment then get on a diet a lose some for the next appointment so he knows im trying even though its on record ive tried in the past i wanna show im still trying.
i got refered 31st august i went the drs on the 27th but letter got sent on the 31st (i called to check it had been sent) so how long till i hear something of the hospital, i feel like calling just to ask even if they say ive got a wait i just need to know its so frustrating i dont wanna put no more weight on i wanna start losing it but like i say i wanna see surgeon b4!!!!! :cry:

sunderland - referred december 2009, seminar was feb 2010, had diet appointment in june, and now meet surgeon in sept to hopefully get on the 6 month waiting list!!!

First approached my G.P in august 2009, first appointment was beginning of december and had my op in May.
I live in Northamptonshire but had my op at Birmingham Heartlands x

thats the hospital im under, how did u rate it? i work at solihull hospital but have been a patient b4 at heartlands 7 yrs ago i hated it i had a baby may and thought the care had definetly improved xx

Saw my Dr for referal end of August 08 went to see the people at the hospital November had op Jan 2nd 09. Im in Stoke-on-trent had op at Walsall manor. Very quick 16 weeks from start to finish

Last edited:
Referred 13th march - Seminar 31st march - 2nd appointment 3rd August - next appointment 17th november if weight target met will be on list apparantly waiting upto 6 months

Sunderland Hospital

Charing Cross - Referred May '10, 1st appointment (group session) 13 Aug '10.... 2nd appointment to deem me suitable 10th Sep '10 .... next appt to see Surgeon 12 Nov '10 .... then hopefully a couple of weeks later will be my Op???? ;-)
I have dieted since Feb and lost 3 stone.... that weight won't ever go back on.... the surgeon won't say because you have lost weight he won't operate.... he will prefer you to be as thin as possible.... so don't let that deter you from dieting now ;-) xxxxx

Queens (Essex) - Referred by endcrinologist May 2009 , saw weight loss management Sept 2009, Saw Surgeon Oct 2009 Jan and May 2010 had op done July 2010.

Referred to weight management July 08,saw dietician etc during 09,sleep test May 10,funding in place June 10,waiting for appointment to see consultant at Spire 0n the Wirral.Two years two months to date.

Charing Cross - Referred May '10, 1st appointment (group session) 13 Aug '10.... 2nd appointment to deem me suitable 10th Sep '10 .... next appt to see Surgeon 12 Nov '10 .... then hopefully a couple of weeks later will be my Op???? ;-)
I have dieted since Feb and lost 3 stone.... that weight won't ever go back on.... the surgeon won't say because you have lost weight he won't operate.... he will prefer you to be as thin as possible.... so don't let that deter you from dieting now ;-) xxxxx

Well done for losing 3 stone so far Lola x

Thanks Jo ;-) xxxx

I was wondering the same thing, what happens if my bmi is between 41-42, then they give me a diet sheet before considering me for surgery and my bmi goes to 39-40 and then decide not to operate because I'm below the criteria of 40+ for surgery, I can loose 5lbs in one week, done it loads of times before, then just put it back on within two days the following, now worried.
Wendyx

Hiya, i am at Heartlands as well. I went to my Gp in november, got my first appointment early feb!!
I had to do the slim course for 6 months and was called back to se Dr Taheri in August. I was told the meeting to decide who was eligible was that night and that my case would be put forward as i had lost weight and was a good case for surgery:D.

I had a letter 2 weeks ago confirming i could have an op. I had a letter yesterday(thursday) to say i have an appointment with Mr Super on monday 2.30pm.
Whilst doin the slim course the dietician told me that the decision re your weight goes on your weight in the referal letter from your gp.

so you can diet now....i actually asked the dr at my last appointment if i was still fat enough as i'd lost a fair bit since i'd last been....he said " yes mrs thornton you are indeed fat enough"..thank you dr i said lol. I really thought he would say no as i am 16 stone odd not as big as some people but still 6 stones overweight and i'm also diabetic which played a major factor in my yes.

Good luck and i hope you get your appointment soon x

I can let you know on monday what happened and what else has to happen before i get an op..have no clue which op either yet!

Last edited:
Hello. Went to see doc in January for something not related to wls but got chatting on the subject. Was referred January, seminar meeting Febuary. 1st Consultation was April when i was told to lose 10lb before next app in June but i went on holiday and gained. He wasnt at all pleased and i went sent packing and told to lose 1stone in 4 weeks. I lost 18lb when i went back and he was delighted with me. He then placed me on the waiting list. I had my pre op 2 weeks ago, and am waiting a date around the 15th Dec or before.

It will have been nearly a year from start to finish. He strictly told me not to put any more weight on and to try and lose some more if i can. Hope this has helped and Good Luck on your journey x

Back