• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Howdy y'all!

OkieGirl

So, where to start?

I was born and raised in Oklahoma and when I about 8-9 my weight ballooned. I remember around that time I was watching the Miss USA pageant with my mom and dad and one of the "features" of the show was that they gave the measurements and weights of the contestants. Most of them were in the 125 range and close to 6'. I remember asking my mom, "Why don't I look like that?" because I weighed the same as them. My weight continued to pile on over the years and I've yo-yo dieted off and on with limited to no success. The most I've ever been able to lose was 50lbs back in the mid to late '90s with the aid of the drug combo of fen-phen (essentially prescription amphetamines) that was later pulled due to causing mitral valve prolapse in some people.

At any rate, after spending the majority of my life trying to shift the weight and failing miserably, I had come to the point where I had given up hope. I've always felt that surgery would be the only surefire way that I would ever be able to lose it and keep it off, but the doctor I had for my first 13 years here in England who had, at one point, even suggested surgery to me, refused to refer me. I don't want to say that I'd come to accept that I would always be the size that I am (or larger) and that it was going to kill me, but I just figured that was how it was and, barring a lottery win or an unexpected inheritance, it was just never going to happen.

Well, last Friday I went to see my new doc to follow up on my blood pressure, which he said that my weight is most likely the root of the problem. We discussed it and what could be done and he said that they could refer people to Slimming World or, if I wanted, he could refer me for surgery. I nearly fell out of my chair! After asking him about three or five times if he was being serious and him reassuring me that he was, I have to admit I broke down in tears! They were both tears of joy and tears of years of frustration that just couldn't be held back!

I know that this will not be an easy route. I know that there are still loads of hoops to jump through. But for the first time in such a long time I have HOPE again! I am scared that this is still some cruel joke or a dream and that it's going to be yanked out from under my feet.

Sorry this is so long! I know that I'm going to have loads of questions as things progress. I'm thinking (hoping) that with my BMI being at 62 (no word of a lie, even my doc said that they'd think that was a typo when he sent through the referral) and having high BP that might get me in a bit sooner, but we'll see. I'm nothing if patient. I've waited this long for this to happen, I can wait a bit longer.

So, where to start?

I was born and raised in Oklahoma and when I about 8-9 my weight ballooned. I remember around that time I was watching the Miss USA pageant with my mom and dad and one of the "features" of the show was that they gave the measurements and weights of the contestants. Most of them were in the 125 range and close to 6'. I remember asking my mom, "Why don't I look like that?" because I weighed the same as them. My weight continued to pile on over the years and I've yo-yo dieted off and on with limited to no success. The most I've ever been able to lose was 50lbs back in the mid to late '90s with the aid of the drug combo of fen-phen (essentially prescription amphetamines) that was later pulled due to causing mitral valve prolapse in some people.

At any rate, after spending the majority of my life trying to shift the weight and failing miserably, I had come to the point where I had given up hope. I've always felt that surgery would be the only surefire way that I would ever be able to lose it and keep it off, but the doctor I had for my first 13 years here in England who had, at one point, even suggested surgery to me, refused to refer me. I don't want to say that I'd come to accept that I would always be the size that I am (or larger) and that it was going to kill me, but I just figured that was how it was and, barring a lottery win or an unexpected inheritance, it was just never going to happen.

Well, last Friday I went to see my new doc to follow up on my blood pressure, which he said that my weight is most likely the root of the problem. We discussed it and what could be done and he said that they could refer people to Slimming World or, if I wanted, he could refer me for surgery. I nearly fell out of my chair! After asking him about three or five times if he was being serious and him reassuring me that he was, I have to admit I broke down in tears! They were both tears of joy and tears of years of frustration that just couldn't be held back!

I know that this will not be an easy route. I know that there are still loads of hoops to jump through. But for the first time in such a long time I have HOPE again! I am scared that this is still some cruel joke or a dream and that it's going to be yanked out from under my feet.

Sorry this is so long! I know that I'm going to have loads of questions as things progress. I'm thinking (hoping) that with my BMI being at 62 (no word of a lie, even my doc said that they'd think that was a typo when he sent through the referral) and having high BP that might get me in a bit sooner, but we'll see. I'm nothing if patient. I've waited this long for this to happen, I can wait a bit longer.
High. This was also me. Doctor referred me in December and had my op last week. My bmi was 51../where RU based now

I nearly fell out of my chair! After asking him about three or five times if he was being serious and him reassuring me that he was, I have to admit I broke down in tears! They were both tears of joy and tears of years of frustration that just couldn't be held back!

Hi @OkieGirl . I can relate to what you are saying. I'm 17 days post op now and already feel it was worth the wait and every hoop jumped through.
Good luck with your journey
x

Hiya! That was fast, from December to last week! How are you feeling now it's done? I hope your recovery is going well.

I live in Lowestoft with my husband of nearly 18 years. We met via the Internet through an old chat programme called ICQ in March of '98, met face to face and got engaged in October of that year and got hitched in October of '99. I moved to England three days after that. People thought I'd lost my mind. I've got three (as of today, teenage) boys that I now have hope that I'll get to see them finish growing, maybe get married and possibly see grandkids one day!

I've been referred to Luton and Dunstable and am waiting for my first appointment.

Hi and welcome.

There have been lots of Luton & Dunstable people on here, particularly recently, so maybe your new doctor is being very busy! It might be worth trying a search or setting up a Luton & Dunstable thread so you can get info relevant to there and make some buddies - every hospital is different in their processes and timescales.

Hi @OkieGirl I'm not far from you in North essex. I always believe that things happen for a reason. And maybe the time you were offered surgery was the right time for you. It's a great day when you can see an end to your tunnel. Being here at the forum will also help. You will be able to fill in the bits that gets missed. Good luck on your journey :hugs:

Hello and welcome to the forum, I'm in Norfolk, about 6 miles out of Great Yarmouth and I'm being assessed at L and D too, your assessment should only be 6 months, mine was a year which is just finishing and I have my MDT. On 1st August, I'm still scared stupid that I won't be accepted for surgery though, L and D is a bit of a trek but it's (hopefully) worth it, I've found them to be really nice but my biggest bug beare is that each room has different scales which weigh differently, probably sounds silly but I'm very close to my BMI being too low for surgery so to me 1kg will make all the difference, my diary will give you details of what happens if that's any help. good luck with everything look forward to reading your future posts. Cx

Hello and welcome and the very best of luck :)

Hiya! That was fast, from December to last week! How are you feeling now it's done? I hope your recovery is going well.

I live in Lowestoft with my husband of nearly 18 years. We met via the Internet through an old chat programme called ICQ in March of '98, met face to face and got engaged in October of that year and got hitched in October of '99. I moved to England three days after that. People thought I'd lost my mind. I've got three (as of today, teenage) boys that I now have hope that I'll get to see them finish growing, maybe get married and possibly see grandkids one day!

I've been referred to Luton and Dunstable and am waiting for my first appointment.
Welcome Okie girl. I too am under Luton and have surgery scheduled for 19 September. I wish you every best wish on your journey xxxx

Hello and welcome to the forum, I'm in Norfolk, about 6 miles out of Great Yarmouth and I'm being assessed at L and D too, your assessment should only be 6 months, mine was a year which is just finishing and I have my MDT. On 1st August, I'm still scared stupid that I won't be accepted for surgery though, L and D is a bit of a trek but it's (hopefully) worth it, I've found them to be really nice but my biggest bug beare is that each room has different scales which weigh differently, probably sounds silly but I'm very close to my BMI being too low for surgery so to me 1kg will make all the difference, my diary will give you details of what happens if that's any help. good luck with everything look forward to reading your future posts. Cx

I think I'll probably keep waiting for someone to go, "The computer says no!" until after it's finally done. I've got a long way to go before I'd be considered anywhere near being too low for surgery though. It seems a bit crazy that they don't get their scales calibrated though, especially when for some, like you, 1kg can make a huge impact on the final decision.

You and me are practically on each other's door steps with me being in Lowestoft! L&D is a bit of a trek, but it could be worse. My husband is being supportive about it all and said that he'd happily get me there.

I think I'll probably keep waiting for someone to go, "The computer says no!" until after it's finally done. I've got a long way to go before I'd be considered anywhere near being too low for surgery though. It seems a bit crazy that they don't get their scales calibrated though, especially when for some, like you, 1kg can make a huge impact on the final decision.

You and me are practically on each other's door steps with me being in Lowestoft! L&D is a bit of a trek, but it could be worse. My husband is being supportive about it all and said that he'd happily get me there.
We are lose aren't we, I'm a wimp when it come to driving distance especially if I don't know the area but like yours my partner is happy to take me each and every time, not looking forward to tomorrow's long day though x

We are lose aren't we, I'm a wimp when it come to driving distance especially if I don't know the area but like yours my partner is happy to take me each and every time, not looking forward to tomorrow's long day though x

I'm exactly the same! I dread going to Norwich and won't go any further than Riverside if I don't have to. It's a fear I'll have to get over in the next year or so as I'll be having to go to the Cathedral every other week. I'm in the process of hopefully becoming a vicar. The next year or so of my life is going to be full of challenges and changes!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! You've got this and things will go great, but I completely understand your nerves. <3

Wow you have certainly got a busy year or so ahead but at least it will help take your mind of wls 24/7 x

But for the first time in such a long time I have HOPE again! I am scared that this is still some cruel joke or a dream and that it's going to be yanked out from under my feet.

That is exactly what WLS means to me - HOPE.

@OkieGirl thanks so much for the video you shared in @starryeyed diary. I've watched a few more from that Obesity Help Conference and they're fascinating and very helpful :)

@OkieGirl thanks so much for the video you shared in @starryeyed diary. I've watched a few more from that Obesity Help Conference and they're fascinating and very helpful :)

No problem @FeeBee! I've been watching the other videos too and they are quite good!

Back