• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hunger gland

jenny17

Was just reading Caren's thread regarding sleeve vs wrap and was intrigued by the fact that the hunger gland is removed as part of a sleeve op. I haven't heard of the hunger gland before, and wondered if it is also removed during a bypass considering how small the remaining pouch is.

Tonibones10

Im Finally Getting There!
jenny17 said:
Was just reading Caren's thread regarding sleeve vs wrap and was intrigued by the fact that the hunger gland is removed as part of a sleeve op. I haven't heard of the hunger gland before, and wondered if it is also removed during a bypass considering how small the remaining pouch is.

Oo I wanna know that too ..... I've never heard of it but want it fine lol Xx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery

suzie290304

jenny17 said:

I had a sleeve 4 th jan 2012 and have never felt hungry :) they remove part of the stomach that makes the hunger hormone and this also increases your metabolism. It's great not to feel hungry x

Tonibones10

suzie290304 said:
I had a sleeve 4 th jan 2012 and have never felt hungry :) they remove part of the stomach that makes the hunger hormone and this also increases your metabolism. It's great not to feel hungry x

Oo interesting :) that's great to know Xx

mariew

no, it's not removed in the bypass as the stomach stays inside you. But the rearrangement of the intestines mean that the hormones are changed and appetite is absent. I had my bypass 10 weeks ago and have not felt any hunger, only emptyness.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Ghrelin is a hormone largely produced by the fundus in the upper portion of the human stomach and when released, sends signals to our brain to consume food for satiety. In many obese people the secretion levels of the ghrelin hormone are off-balance and may be one reason why obese people feel like they need to consume more food that they actually need.

The sleeve procedure involves removing a large percentage of the stomach, the portion of the stomach that is cut away and removed also contains the fundus which produces the hormone grehlin.

None of the stomach is removed during the bypass procedure.

jenny17

mariew said:
no, it's not removed in the bypass as the stomach stays inside you. But the rearrangement of the intestines mean that the hormones are changed and appetite is absent. I had my bypass 10 weeks ago and have not felt any hunger, only emptyness.

Thanks Marie, I have a real sweet tooth and tend to 'graze' mainly because I often feel hungry. The consultant, dietitian, etc and I all agreed that the bypass will be best for me. I hope that I have the same hunger free experience you have.

I wonder why they don't cut out the gland, while they are on?

mariew

Jenny, I don't think they need to as the bypass of the intestines changes appetite. They are not rearranged in a sleeve. Both ops have their own advantages and disadvantages.

BEXS99

Loves this site x
I had a sleeve 14 weeks ago, do get abit hungry but not starving, just know when i need to eat something but after a few mouthfuls am fine x

Tonibones10

mariew said:
Bex, is it hunger? or a feeling of being empty?

What's the difference hun, I know al know when I've had the op but do they feel very different? Xx

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
I wonder why they don't cut out the gland, while they are on?

It's not a gland, it's a hormone.

When the sleeve op is performed 80% of the stomach is removed.... the part of the stomach that is removed is the part which produces the most ghrelin.

However, ghrelin is not quite the "magic" be all one and only hormone involved in hunger and appetite .... there are quite a few involved including leptin and others.

They can't "cut it out" in an RNY op because that they need to leave the remainder of the stomach inside the body in an RNY bypass -- the RNY pouch is so small and the re-routing of the intestines so major, that they *have* to leave the remainder of the stomach in the body to continue secreting gastric juices which aid digestion (and re-join the lower intestine lower down).

gastric-sleeve.jpg

RNY bypass.jpg

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
However, ghrelin is not quite the "magic" be all one and only hormone involved in hunger and appetite .... there are quite a few involved including leptin and others.

I just found another pic which gives a broader picture of how many different gut hormones are involved in appetite, hunger and satiation .... (and this picture does not even include leptin!)

Attachments

• sharma-obesity-guthormones2.jpg
    sharma-obesity-guthormones2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 313

Fashionably Late

is a skinny size XS & 6!
I had a bypass over 2 years ago. To this day I rarely feel hungry. When I do feel hungry it is usually because I have made bad food choices earlier in the day.