• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating so much

claire36uk

Hi All

I had my band fitted 29th September and i am due to have a band fill next tuesday ( i cannot wait ). I have done well till the last 10 days and i have to say i am really really struggling now, I dont feel as if i have had anything done what so ever and can eat any size portion and ANYTHING will go down. After doing lots of research on here before i had my operation i didnt read that this would happen, is this normal or am i just one of the minority? I know my friend who is 9 days behind me with her operation is feeling exactly the same as me, I know alot of it is to do with will power BUT if i really had will power then i wouldnt have had the operation to help me, yes i know that the Band is only a tool but i can honestly say i am feeling like i did before the operation and at the moment feel its been a complete waste of time, i hope next week when i go to have my first band fill that this will supress this feeling cause i am feeling at the moment as if i have really cheated myself but i can honestly say i am so hungry ALL the time and its not head hunger its actual hunger to the point where i am feeling sick, if anyone else has experienced this could you please reply and give some advice cause at the moment i am really feeling s****y about the whole thing :cry:x

Don't go worrying about it. After your fill you will feel a little (or a lot) more restriction! This is what happened to me and if I could go back in time I would definately keep a note of what I was eating as it does make you think more about what you're having.
Don't forget to eat your foods on the dry crunchy side and not have too many sauces and mushies. Try to drink lots of water between meals but not too close before and after and definately not whilst eating.
Forward planning really helps, get your meals planned out and organised ahead of time if you can as If I dither about wondering what to have I sometimes overeat at actual meals.
Also don't have anything too tempting in the house.
Snack a jacks are pretty good to help avoid a blow out, they are dry and therefore you only need one or two of the big ones and they are low in cals.

Might help you to read this thread as well lovey
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/124365-whats-wrong-me.html

Keeping an eye on the calories has helped me when I had problems moderating what I was eating as well and I wish I would have done it earlier to help me keep under control when I had my battles getting restriction (most of the first year after op)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice there Neen, I have to admit when i am having snack days the things i am having are relatively low in calories but then when i am having a BAD DAY there not so relatively low calorie, feeling like a failure at the moment and today feeling rather sorry for myself as not feeling very well at all :( When i seen my dietician he said it will be alot easier after the band fill and he is hoping i only need the one but we'll have to wait and see on that, he said that 75% of his patients have got the sweet spot first time round and never had tohave a 2nd fill, i am hoping i am going to be one of them, just feeling very down in the dumps today and really bloated as well, i will read the thread you sent me Neen so thanks again. X

I know I felt like I was the only person who could muck up having the band and I felt really down and out of control. It's a horrible feeling and I know it's scary to think it may not work after all, but that is not the case I promise.
This is your first fill right? You may well be one of those lucky devils that hits your ideal fill straight off the bat or even on the second one. Depends how much your surgeon / team put in and from what you said it sounds like you will be fine! My nurse only put in half an mil at each fill after the surgeon did my initial one and no matter how much I protested she wouldn't allow me any more and that's when I had a huge battle with portion control and totally lost heart.
It sounds like you will be getting more generous amounts!
Straight after the fill your tummy definately reacts and you will feel a big difference for at least a couple weeks till the saline relaxes back a little. It so depends on the amount and what suits you personally.
I do definately believe in calories in / calories out and ensuring you eat mindfully.
Whatever way you have tried to control your eating before will be different to after the band, even with a teeny amount of restriction IF you monitor your intake and stick to a plan it will be a heck of a lot easier than it was before the op and you might suprise yourself.
Remember, it's what you do MOST of the time that has the real impact on your body, so a blip once a week will not harm you, it's only if it's every day and it makes you give up altogether that it is a problem.
Just press on and don't let feeling guilty about the odd mistake spoil your good efforts you make for the majority of the time.
OK my waffle over :D
You can do it and I know you'll be allright xxxx Hugs x

Hiya Neen many thanks again for all your advice, i have a 14ml band with no restriction what so ever, Mr Super doesnt put a fill in during the operation so i have relied on will power alone but now its sooooooooooooo hard like i said i feel as if i have had nothing done and really beating myself up about it, roll on tuesday is all i can say, i will let you know how it goes and hopefully i wont be moaning afterwards lol X

Hi Claire, you have done very well to make progress weight-loss wise when you have no restriction. Don't despair - the band fill will make all the difference. My restriction decreased significantly between my 2nd and third fill and I too was despairing and kicking myself, thinking I'd ballsed everything up. After the 3rd fill I really knew about it and was back to a couple of teaspoons here and there. Don't panic x

Back