• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I AM SUCH A FAILURE

angelpie

:break_diet:Day 1 of my pre op diet and i have already failed. I just had a massive pig out.
I am just not strong enough to give up smoking and food at the same time.
I think the milk diet is more important at the moment than giving up smoking. I will give up smoking on the day of the op as it will be easier to stop smoking whilst in hospital.
tomorrow is anouther day and I Will NOT cheat again on the diet.
I am sorry i have let everyone down who had faith in me;
got to go now as I have a cigarette here with my name on . lol xx:break_diet:

Angelpie please don't kick yourself in the butt too much. I'm struggling on the pre op diet myself and failed last night and this morning.

Trying to give up so much at once is going to be nigh on impossible, just try one thing at once and give yourself some breathing space. xx

it happens to us all....get back on it from tomorrow and forget about today....the stopping smoking can wait till afterwards ;)

Not being a smoker I dont know the answer to this question but...do WLS surgeons not ask you to quit smoking for a time before your surgery? I know that people having regular operations are very very often asked to stop smoking for a while or they wont get their operation, is it not the same with WLS?
I can imagine giving up smoking at the same time as the pre-op diet is a total nightmare, Im just wondering if your surgeon has mentioned the smoking and if not giving it up will affect any of it.
Steph xx

Not being a smoker I dont know the answer to this question but...do WLS surgeons not ask you to quit smoking for a time before your surgery? I know that people having regular operations are very very often asked to stop smoking for a while or they wont get their operation, is it not the same with WLS?
I can imagine giving up smoking at the same time as the pre-op diet is a total nightmare, Im just wondering if your surgeon has mentioned the smoking and if not giving it up will affect any of it.
Steph xx
Yes they do steph x

Many surgeons require you to quit 2 weeks before the op, so it might be worth giving it another try tomorrow.

It makes it safer for you...I know its hard but try and focus on why you need to do both.

This is a change, you will make many after the op, this is to help prepare for this.

My op is on 7th and i've fell off the wagon a few times with the diet. As for smoking, i'm still on 20 a day but i'v started having rollups instead of real fags, i roll them really thin, and when i get a mouthfull of tobacco it puts me off and i put it out.
sue.

Ooh Angel, that's hard, giving up everything in one go! I totally understand how hard that must be. Maybe it could be a lesson for other people who are contemplating having weight loss surgery. It would be easier for them to give up smoking when they make the INITIAL decision to have surgery, then it would be so much easier once they have to start on the pre-op diet. Cigarettes dampen the hunger pangs, that's why most super skinny models smoke! So to give up smoking when you are also on very strict food restriction is doubly hard.

As for you, Angel, cutting down on the ciggies will help enormously. When I gave up I initially stopped the cigarettes that I automatically lit up when I got in the car. Instead I had a chewing gum and it was quite easy. As long as I knew I could have a fag after my meals it wasn't too bad. Good luck with it all! Just keep your goal uppermost in your mind and stay focussed. It WILL be easier to give up when you are in hospital, I hate the sight of people with drips and dressing gowns hanging round the hospital entrance, desperate for a fag.

Ooh Angel, that's hard, giving up everything in one go! I totally understand how hard that must be. Maybe it could be a lesson for other people who are contemplating having weight loss surgery. It would be easier for them to give up smoking when they make the INITIAL decision to have surgery, then it would be so much easier once they have to start on the pre-op diet. Cigarettes dampen the hunger pangs, that's why most super skinny models smoke! So to give up smoking when you are also on very strict food restriction is doubly hard.

As for you, Angel, cutting down on the ciggies will help enormously. When I gave up I initially stopped the cigarettes that I automatically lit up when I got in the car. Instead I had a chewing gum and it was quite easy. As long as I knew I could have a fag after my meals it wasn't too bad. Good luck with it all! Just keep your goal uppermost in your mind and stay focussed. It WILL be easier to give up when you are in hospital, I hate the sight of people with drips and dressing gowns hanging round the hospital entrance, desperate for a fag.

I'm with Gillabean. I don't smoke but having parents who used to get me up at 7 in the morning when they'd run out of fags i know the desperation..

Maybe you could do as Gill suggests? Just have one after a meal and also go to your local stop smoking cessation centre and get some help with the cravings....

I reckon if it helps with the surgery recovery then its gotta be good xx

I've just realised you said you were on Steroids. I was on them for a short time and I ate everything in sight. They do make you hungry, excessively so. It wasn't until I came off them that my eating sorted itself out into a normal pattern.

Hiya Angel .

Just wondered how the pre op diet is going for you now , as I know u have been struggling. (hope all is going good for you)

All the best - MeJulie x x

Hope today has been more successful for you - when i had my op i was in with 3 smokers and they were smoking up until they went into the anaesthetic room!!!! Concentrate on your diet and just take each hour as it comes - it does get more tolerable as the diet goes on but i also know of a lot of people who were still pigging out the day before their op's so don't be too hard on yourself.

Sending you hugs and fairy dust to help you through this time xx

Don't beat yourself up my pre op diet had its bad days too, i was a 30 a day smoker and my surgeon was one of those that insisted i give up two weeks before surgery. If i'm honest i did'nt want to as i enjoyed smoking, but i knew i had to try, i used the electronic cigarette and sugar free lollipops. It wasn't easy but that was 23 weeks ago and i havent touche one since, i really hope you have the same success Angelpie but as i said before just take one day at a time good luck xx

Don't beat yourself up my pre op diet had its bad days too, i was a 30 a day smoker and my surgeon was one of those that insisted i give up two weeks before surgery. If i'm honest i did'nt want to as i enjoyed smoking, but i knew i had to try, i used the electronic cigarette and sugar free lollipops. It wasn't easy but that was 23 weeks ago and i havent touche one since, i really hope you have the same success Angelpie but as i said before just take one day at a time good luck xx
Congratulations-1-1.gif
I_QUIT_SMOKING_by_atfault-1.jpg

try to give up smoking because it will affect recovery i gave up 10 month ago and cant believe how much better i recovered after my sleeve then my last op when i was a smoker they will mention your smoking at the pre admissions appointment so really try, as for the food just do your best as long as your weight goes down a little it will be fine.

thanks allie, where do i get a electronic cigarrette? lol xx

Back