• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I cant get anything down!

Punkwitch

I'm 3 days post op. I cant get anything down. I try to sip but no matter how tiny the sip most of it comes bubbling back up. The hospital sent me home with painkillers in tablet form even tho every tablet they gave me at hospital came straight back up. My only painkiller is now calpol, which takes me 20 minutes to sip and the gas tries to push it back up. Am panicking that I will get dehydrated. I have to be on liquids for 4 weeks (I had the sleeve) and I dont know how I am going to manage. somebody please help!

I would call your team and let them know maybe they can give you nurofen the one that dissolves on your tongue.

oh my goodness! I would get straigh on the phone today and ask to get some help asap, you will become de-hydrated theres no doubt there and your body has been through major surgery so at this point you need medical help sweets xx i really hope you get sorted asap xx

Thanks for the advice but the team were aware of my situation when they discharged me. They said I had to just try harder. They also said they had spoken to the surgeon and he was happy to have me discharged. Have managed to get some pouring yoghurt into me a couple of times and a sugar free icepop. Hopefully things will get easier each day. I think it is the gas causing the problem.
I weighed myself today and I havent lost an ounce. I didnt expect it to be like this! Sorry, just feeling a bit pathetic today!

i dont get why your saying sorry? youve just had major surgery and your in pain & worried so dont appologise, iv been there and i know what your going through, i'm very surprised they discharged you knowing that you was having difficulty in the simple stuff like sipping water, My surgeon didn't let me go home until i'd eaten a rich tea biscuit a cup of splosh, some cheesey mash for dinner and some weetabix for breakfast, he also asked my if i'd passed wind :eek:, i said no because i felt embarressed so he said "no wind no discharge"! "so i suggest you start" lol, i took that as a green light for emptying the gases from the procedure.:D

Even tho you was discharged i'd still seek help hun, even a phone call could help,

My hospital where i live discharged me after being admitted doubled up in pain and vomiting with a swollen liver and swollen bowel:sigh: problem was they didnt do any scans or investigations, so i phoned my surgeon at chichester when i got home and Dr Chris pring diagnosed Gallbladder attack (over the phone) he was spot on and my Hospital are currently being sued for this clinical negligence as it left me in agony for days until i had enough called 999 and ended up having to have emergency surgery to remove my infected gallbladder, hence it doesn't hurt to make a phone call to see if someone can help, i really hope you will be okay hun, keep your chin up as it will get better sweets xx

If your no better tomorrow go up to A+E and they can get you on a saline drip to hydrate you. Your right to be worried about dehydration, its a serious thing and your hospital have a duty to care for you. Dont leave it any longer if nothing changes by mid morning tomorrow.
Hopefully things will be better tomorrow and you dont have to make the trip. Send someone out to the supermarket for some peppermint tea and keep trying.

Kim

You could try walking to disperse the gas, then try to drink something. If you haven't had any fluids in 3 days I'd go to a+e tonight. I wouldn't wait any longer.

My hospital won't discharge of you can't swallow a shake. If you can't swallow water it's terrible you were discharged!

I could swallow, but it bubbled loads. Wasn't until
I started my lansaprazole fasTabs that it became easier.

Really feel for you. You need fluids ASAP xxx

I'm 3 days post op. I cant get anything down. I try to sip but no matter how tiny the sip most of it comes bubbling back up. The hospital sent me home with painkillers in tablet form even tho every tablet they gave me at hospital came straight back up. My only painkiller is now calpol, which takes me 20 minutes to sip and the gas tries to push it back up. Am panicking that I will get dehydrated. I have to be on liquids for 4 weeks (I had the sleeve) and I dont know how I am going to manage. somebody please help!

I was like that when i got home on Tuesday, everytime i took a sip of water i felt like i was foaming at the mouth, i am still scared i may de-hydrate cause i dont feel my body is taking enough water, i made myself a complan shake yesterday and after 2 sips i was full, i had two teaspoons of jelly this morning and completely full after it. What is everyone else on i feel i need some energy

Punkwitch and Heatherjojo,

So sorry to hear about the problems you are having, just drinking water -- it is NOT normal and your bariatric teams should not have let you think that that level of restriction is in any way normal.

After my op I was very hot and I glugged down half a jar of water (probably half a litre at least) within about 2 hours .... then I did start to get a little bubbling and knew I had filled my sleeve .... but I had drunk a LOT of water before the bubbling occured.

It sounds like you have both been given very narrow sleeves, possibly slightly too tight ??? I would defo keep hassling your own bariatric teams until you get answers.

eg:

-- how wide is my sleeve?
-- what size bougie did you use?
-- do you think I have a stricture?
-- why is it so tight?
-- I cannot drink half a cup of water -- this is not normal.

etc etc etc -- keep hassling them until they give you some answers or do something, because that level of restriction is NOT really normal.

Thanks Sharonimo,

4 days on and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I feel so much better and can drink juice and tea and eat yogurts and it has given me so much strength. To get more fluid in me I started sucking on ice pops which really helped, tonight my mum has made me chicken soup which I am looking forward to having it, as on Tuesday I thought how could I possibly eat again.

Ice pops have been my saviour! Still cant get water down but can get it down using sugar free ice pops!

So pleased the hear that your getting some hydration now x all the best and i hope things continue to get better from her on im xx take care xx

I had a sleeve & couldn't keep anything down due to an allergy to medication. I was taken back into hospital to be hydrated & had to have a stretch. Still only eat a very restricted diet but can get my daily fluids intake no probs. I have Fage 0% Greek yogurt, low fat cream cheese & high protein soups (18% mini) to try to keep my protein levels up. My team are monitoring me very closely but are reasonably pleased with me. Good luck.

My dietician has now said I cant carry on like this any more and will speak to my surgeon this afternoon. She is guessing I will need a stretch. Bellydancer, is this like an endoscopy? Will they give me anything to help with pain of getting tube down? Thanks xx

hello, Just read your post, I cant beleive your still suffering! hope they help you out asap, thinking of you xxx

My dietician has now said I cant carry on like this any more and will speak to my surgeon this afternoon. She is guessing I will need a stretch. Bellydancer, is this like an endoscopy? Will they give me anything to help with pain of getting tube down? Thanks xx

Sorry missed your post. I was sedated & no pain what so ever. It was over very quickly & did the trick. I'm eating quite well now & dietician is pleased with me. Hope you are getting sorted.

Sorry to but in ladies but what's a stretch? Just curious x

Back