• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I can't stick this pre-op - she screams !!

loughpet

Hi All,

I am so sorry for moaning I know some of you had really hard pre-ops to follow. Mine is 1200 kcals for one week and I am really struggling. My BMI is around 31 is it really necessary to put myself threw this torture !!

I only started yest and all I can think about is food, food, food !! It's really getting me down !!

I only wish I had of asked the consultant about the pre-op it was only the person who took my op told me about it and said I had to do it.

My sister and friend had gastric band abroad and were lots heavier than me and didn't have to do one at all !!

Sorry for the moan it's just really getting me down .

x

My pre op was over 4 weeks and I did the slimfast diet. I had 5 bottles of slimfast per day and I did not feel hungry at all. Do you have to prepare food for others in you family because this makes it very hard, you could tell them to get on with it themselves. I had the sleeve not the band and it is the best thing I ever did.

Really good on you sticking to that. Yes I have 2 young kids so have to cook for them !!

I obviously have zero will power, I am trying thou .

I am on pre -op diet by time my op comes i would of been on it 7 weeks...............I am low carb, high protein, low sugar diet. I am having a\bypass...........but i found i have to take my mind off food...................try a new hobby , or tackling all those jobs you keep putting off .............I have found the answer is to keep busy reading from this site will take up lots of hours lol

My pre op was a killer :

1 oz cereal or piece of toast with 1 egg for breakfast

1 piece of toast with 2 eggs or tomatoes on for lunch

85g meat or fish, small new potato and vegetables (not root) for dinner

2 pieces of fruit and 1 yoghurt and a pint of milk for the day... That was harsh luckily i only did it for a week as my op was brought forward...

I'd suggest you fill up on as many vegetables as you can, use your calories wisely with sugar free jelly and low fat yoghurt over the top is a real treat...

They don't give us pre ops to torture us, they are to shrink the liver to make surgery safer for you. Try and stick with it and the best of luck xx

my pre op was 3 pints of milk, 1 pt sugar free jelly and 1 drink of bovril/stock cube plus any no added sugar drinks...i had to do this for 2 weeks!!
No offence but i would have loved to be able have 'eaten' 1200 cals worth of food a day...oo the luxury! lol

Stick with it.... it will be worth it in the end x

I know it's really hard, I decided to get myself in the zone from this week onwards, even though it could still be a few months yet before I have my op, but all I can think about is food...I know exactly where you are coming from. If I get the choice (which I think I might actually where I'm being 'done'), I'm going to go for protein shakes, purely because it takes all you food choices away, which I personally think might make it easier for me. You've got 2 choices: your BMI isn't terribly high so you could phone the surgeon & ask if it is really necessary for you to be on the pre-op, or you could suck it up & stick with it, because a) you don't run the risk of the op not going ahead because of a huge rigid liver meaning they can't get access, and b) you are going to have to get used to having much less food after the band is fitted anyway, so it will be much easier for you in the long run. Persevere, find something to do with your time to occupy yourself & drink more water...it does help! Good luck xx

Thanks so much for that. Sorry for being a moaning Minney !! I am like a wasp since yest. Poor kids can't even look at me !!

Hi there,

The pre-op is not to torture you, it is to prepare your liver for surgery, so it is safe for the surgeon to access your stomach and not make your liver bleed.

I know it's tough but it has to be done, a surgeon can and will not proceed with the op if he finds your liver to big.

Is it worth that risk of going under an anaesthetic, being cut open only to wake up and find you did not get the op?

1200 calories is a fair amount if you eat lots of free calorie foods.

Be strong and keep telling yourself this is soooo important and this is where your food choices and lifestyle change forever. You will have to deal with hunger after the op too.

You will do it...you know you will :)

My pre-op was a week of very low calorie food and then a week of liquids and sugar free jelly, it was mega tough for the first few days, I wanted to gnaw my own arm off!!! It DOES get better, I was still hungry during the second week but by the end of the second week I could barely even face water, never mind anything more!
You'll be fine.
Steph xx

Can't add much more to the wise words already given! It is tough i struggled through mine and stopped smoking at the same time so you imagine how much my family loved me!! It is so worth it though so you can prepare your body for your new life ahead. Don't worry about "moaning" it is hard xx

my pre op was 3 pints of milk, 1 pt sugar free jelly and 1 drink of bovril/stock cube plus any no added sugar drinks...i had to do this for 2 weeks!!

That's what I'm expecting my pre-op diet to be when they put me on it. I had my first consultant appointment on Thursday, my second one is on 1st July and Mr. Sufi's registrar (Mr. Ramar) thinks surgery will be "soon" so I'm expecting he'll put me on it at the next appointment or will get me to lose more weight.

Rather than go from "normal food" to "milk diet" overnight, I've found a middle ground of two Slim Fast shakes a day plus a dinner of up to eight hundred calories, which puts me in the 1,250 to 1,500 a day range. I'm allowing apple/grape snack packs (high in sugar, beware!) and sugar free jelly as snacks and desserts.

Yes, I'm hungry and this is only my fourth day on my self-inflicted diet but it's getting a little easier to handle every day. My bowel movements have gone a little weird, to be honest! I've been finding things to do around the home and office like those DIY jobs that I "keep meaning to get to" and also going swimming and the cinema.

I had a bit of a habit formed around going to the cinema: it always used in involve either two or three scoops of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream from their scoop shop but I've instead gone for one of those "Fanta Frozen" ice drinks. Sugar content is probably sky high but it works as a substitute for cookie dough, vanilla toffee crunch and caramel chew-chew ice creams with a centre of hot fudge, whipped cream and a sprinkle of chopped nuts. Having typed that, it sounds delicious but I'll survive the urge to eat crap and stick with this pre-pre-op diet as I hope it will show Mr. Sufi how dedicated I am to this operation.

Regards, Ade.

Stick with it as its is for your own good. We've all been there so know how you feel so its ok to come and have a moan here with us. I do agree about the milk diet though. It takes away the options of foods so I found it much easier to stick to than if I had had to make up my own foods in calories. Mine was 2 yoghurts and 3 pints of milk per day for 10 days. Good luck and remember that when your op is over you look back and be pleased with yourself for doing it.xxxx

Back