• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I dont know what to do.

jackie nixon

Hello im hoping that someone could please help me. I am at the moment doing a weight loss course (More Life) as i am hoping to be referred for weight loss surgery.
I did the course from June 2017 and at the time it was 14 weekly sessions then monthly for a further 7 months as i had a bmi of about 48.
I enjoyed it and lost some weight but with just 2 sessions to go till i could be referred my brother was diagnosed with cancer so i cared for him daily including 2 stays in Hammersmith hospital where i would get the tube daily. He died 3 months ago and i have just felt able to think about myself again.
As my bmi is 53 now i thought i would only have to do 6 months of More Life before a referral, but my doctor and my More Life coach both think i may have to do a whole year again. Im under west Essex ccg.
I would be so grateful if you could advise me
Many Thanks
Jackie

Bling Babe

I’m so sorry for your sad loss, it’s understandable you’ve struggled, I can’t advice but I would say don’t give up, I was almost 2 years waiting, however long it takes it will be worth it x

Sarnie

Hello im hoping that someone could please help me. I am at the moment doing a weight loss course (More Life) as i am hoping to be referred for weight loss surgery.
I did the course from June 2017 and at the time it was 14 weekly sessions then monthly for a further 7 months as i had a bmi of about 48.
I enjoyed it and lost some weight but with just 2 sessions to go till i could be referred my brother was diagnosed with cancer so i cared for him daily including 2 stays in Hammersmith hospital where i would get the tube daily. He died 3 months ago and i have just felt able to think about myself again.
As my bmi is 53 now i thought i would only have to do 6 months of More Life before a referral, but my doctor and my More Life coach both think i may have to do a whole year again. Im under west Essex ccg.
I would be so grateful if you could advise me
Many Thanks
Jackie
Hi, sorry for your loss.
I think the only way you can really find out is for the doctor to refer you again, what hospital was you hoping to get your surgery at? Did you ever get a hospital appointment? x

Irene44

Oh Hun I’m so very sorry for your loss how dreadful for you x. I would definitely go to GPS and try and put some pressure on them in the NICEST possible way to refer you sooner if possible. If not though hunni if you have to do the year then you can do it sweetheart it’s so worth it. I know it seems a long way off but it goes so quickly. Everyone on the forum will support you and keep you going :). Xx

jackie nixon

Thankyou all for your support. I haven’t got as far as any hospital appointments yet but I’m hoping to get referred to Homerton Hospital. I know the criteria changed recently ( it used to be if you had a bmi over 50 only 6 months tier 3 was needed to be referred) But it’s still not very clear what’s needed now and my doctor seems a bit clueless.

Irene44

Thankyou all for your support. I haven’t got as far as any hospital appointments yet but I’m hoping to get referred to Homerton Hospital. I know the criteria changed recently ( it used to be if you had a bmi over 50 only 6 months tier 3 was needed to be referred) But it’s still not very clear what’s needed now and my doctor seems a bit clueless.

Can you not try and do a little bit of research and maybe find out the criteria. I can’t help with that I went private so didn’t have to struggle with NHS I wish you so much luck hunni I’m sure there will be ways you can find out xx

Sarnie

If it was me I would phone Homerton and tell them whats happened so far and ask them for advice, because as you said and in my experience and also from what I've read from others most GPs are clueless to the WLS route, they are so uninformed, you've got nothing to lose by at least trying to speak to the WLS team at Homerton x

Emma1504

Welcome
I am so sorry for your loss
In my area your BMI had to be over 55 to get fast tracked. But even then I had to wait over a year for my operation.
Like the others have said the time goes faster than you think. Stick with it best of luck x

Irene44

Thankyou all for your advise, I am determined to stick it out this time no matter what i will keep you updated with any news x

Good for you hunni:). Yes please keep on chatting with us all :) xx

Jackiesfatplan

If u explained to them as u have to us maybe u may of done some of the tier 3 requirments and not have to repeat full year again talk to them i had a break in my tier 3 when my mother died i missed some appointments but once i explained i rejoined where i left off

MariaMaria83

Hi @jackie nixon , I got referred straight to the homerton from my gp with a BMI of 50.5. The team there are absolutely brilliant, you could call them for some advice. Did you go back to your GP after your BMI had increased and see if they could refer you to tier 4? x