• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

i have a Q. PSORAISIS AFTER BANDING

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
i have a question that i cannot answer for my sister who also has a band, she has devolped psoraisis on the skin (unsure if i spelt it right) after banding and asked me could this be down to a change in diet lifestyle, i couldnt answer her question as i do not know anything about the condition and how its caused.

i said to her i doubt its thro banding but im unsure and will try to find out, so any comments would be appreciated.

cheers

liz x

Haven't got a clue on this Liz, probably best to google psoriasis and see what causes it. x

I have Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria and have no known cause and seems very like that too....have found these bit on the INTERNET from the Psoriasis Assocaiation....
What causes it?
Traditionally psoriasis was thought to be a condition of the upper most layer of the skin (the epidermis), but recent research has found that the changes in the skin begin in the immune system when certain immune cells (T cells) are triggered and become overactive. The T cells produce inflammatory chemicals, and act as if they were fighting an infection or healing a wound, which leads to the rapid growth of skin cells causing psoriatic plaques to form. You may therefore hear psoriasis being described as an “auto-immune disease” or “immune-mediated condition”. It is not yet clear what triggers the immune system to act in this way.
Around 30% of people with psoriasis have a family history of the condition, and certain genes have been identified as being linked to psoriasis. However, many genes are involved and even if the right combination of genes has been inherited, psoriasis may not appear. A trigger is required for psoriasis to develop and this could be a throat infection, injury to the skin, certain drugs and physical or emotional stress.

and a link to their site if it helps xx
Welcome to The Psoriasis Association

thanks for your replies, as i thought wouldnt be down to wls but i had to ask any way x

My daughter developed it on her leg. She is not predisposed genetically, there is none on both sides on her family. However, my father had Asthma and I believe there is a link to that.

My daughter and her doctor also believe that as she had had an injury in that area of her leg which involved a toxic substance also, this was the cause of the psoriasis. It appeared when the leg was trying to heal. The injury to her leg involved a pair of boots and the glue used in them. It would not heal for ages and looked awful. Both she and her doctor put it down to that.

She gets a flare up of it every so often, and each time gets less angry.

xXx

I have psoriasis, have had it since I was pregnant with my son.

Firstly, there are a number of different types, the most common one being plaque psoriasis, which i presume is what she has. There are a few different food things, one common theory is that dairy and wheat makes it worse in some people, so if she wants to she could try cutting out dairy, if no improvement cut out wheat too.

Another theory is that people with psoriasis have problems producing vitamin D3, so many sufferers take D3 supplements (different to just D) at a high dose (5000iu daily).

A good place to get advice and support and suggestions for alternative treatments etc is Psoriasis Help Psoriasis Help Organisation - Online Psoriasis Forum - Home

There are a lot of bogus alternative creams, pills, lotions and potions out there and when you're at the start of psoriasis it can be easy to see any suggested miracle cure as something you need to try. I went through them all lol, including drinking silica gel (disgusting), and smearing myself with uddermint (a moisturiser for cows udders). None of them worked :)

There are also a large number of medical treatments, ranging from mild creams, to immuno-suppressants (side effects include coma and death) so a dermatologist can talk her through options and start at the bottom and work up. Unfortunately, I've tried all I can, which is limited because of my health problems (for example, I can't have light therapy which is one of the common treatments) and none have worked, so these days I just live with it.

Stress makes it worse in most people, there is no way to avoid that. Some people who have stressful lifestyles try things like yoga and meditation to try to counteract it.

Psoriasis will often also target damaged skin, so I have developed it on 3 of my 5 keyhole scars. It also affects the nails in some people and can be frequently mistaken for a fungal nail infection.

Hope that helps anyway, I'll stop waffling!

thanks for the replies, its much appreciated, and i shall pass on the info.

liz x

Back