• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

i need help im cocking it up

katstofat

since my op in october the inches have come off great but ive only lost 2st 12lb. ive had probs. with discovering i had an allergy to the fast tabs and was quite ill and wen i started to eat more solids everything practically came streight back which made me frightend to try eating anything. i did discover that i could eat cream crackers with a bit of butter or cheese spread on them so i was more or less living off them to the extent tht i could practically go through a packet a day. also not long after eating them i would get wind in my stomach and strong rumbelings, just like wen you are really hungery so thinking that that was wat iwas i would have some more. i have now been told by dr at hospital that it meant the opposite and would be my stomach dealling with wat id already eaten so needless to say thats why such a poor weight lossas this has been going on for weeks. i feel such a fool and a compleat faliure and ive got such a lump in my throat and a very heavy heart, ive been given such a wonderfull gift and as usuall ive made a compleat mess of it. ive stoped buying creamcrakers now but its wat like stopping smoking must be like i feel like ive lost my crutch as im still pretty scared of food as the trowing up i did before was awfull and made me feel so ill , not for minns but for hours and i dont want to get like that again but i have started to try things , well i have to or starve and i dont want to live on soup forever. sorry to be so long winded and you must all think 'wat a plonker' but any advice would be very greatly recived, ive never been very adventurus were food is concerned and all my usuall things that i ate well most or on the not to have list ty.......................kath xxxxx

:copon: :lost:

Oh Kat (I hope it is OK to call you that) I am so sorry you have had such a rough time of it. There are some fab recipes on this site for both the puree stage and "proper" food. Maybe you could get some ideas from there and then if you dont feel up to actually making them, you could look for ready made versions. And perhaps you could add just a little taste of the things you do like. There is also a Daily Menu thread where people post what they have eaten each day, and perhaps this might give you an idea of what people who are at the same stage as you, are eating.

Do you have a dietician in your bariatric team who could advise you?

yes wen i told her in dec. how i was she said crackers were ok but try to have egg or something with them but i think i should leave them well alone i asked at hospital yesterday if i could be transferd to the dietition at our gateway center as she is part of there team and is just a few mins from me but he wants me to stay there till ive sorted it out and ive been wating of appointment since dec. and not herd anything yet. i could ring up to speak to someone but they never seem to be there and i have to leave a mesage and with my luck im usually out wen they ring back n ive not got a mobile i really feel totaly alone like im on a desert island or something and it gets a dit scary i have a freind whos had it done a year before me and ive been trying to ring her but she must have had her phone taken off as it says number not recognised, she was on about doing that and just having her mobile and i cant find that number,awwwwwwww well i supose ill sort it out at least i know were i was going wrong now ..................kath x

You are not a failure, you have realised what the problem is and are willing to do something about it. You can do this and get back on track. Here is my suggestion

Try doing the mash/puree stage again and then progressing on from there do it stage by stage, mash, cheese and gravy or mash, cheese, corned beef and gravy are great at this stage and will help filll you up, but will go down easily. Use a teaspoon and only half fill it before putting it in your mouth, then you can do crushed potato with meat and plenty of gravy with your meal so thats not to dry. It is a hard thing to master but once you have got a few days of eating without being sick under your belt you will soon be able to progress on to more solid food.

Hope this helps, keep your chin up and little and often will help. If you need anything just shout pm any time. Sending you loads of hugs x x x

ty terri ive been doing that yesterday n today and to be honest wen i did have anything before thats wat i had its wen i tried other things that made me ill i think it was like dr said wen i felt the wind and rumblings n thought it meant i was hungry it was that i was having too much that made me ill its now just having to realise after ive eaten the feelings i get dont mean im still hungry . its very confusing n i didnt expect it to be like this but as you say now i know i can deal with it. im at the moment trying a salad with a small jacket potato , cpttage cheese and tuna with my lettice etc, theres not much of anything but i now i wont finish it but i feel good that i have plucked up courage to have it. if i keep it down ill be well chuffed as i love salad and will feel that i am getting there ....................kath x

Kat, please don't EVER think that you're a failure. This is so new and different for every one of us. We are all different and while some people can tolerate solid food by a certain date, others take longer. Personally, I can't eat meat or fish yet even though others who had their bypasses around the same time, can eat meat or fish or chicken. If I try to eat anything remotely solid, I am sick or possett. I'm also not losing much, but as long as I'm not hungry I can go with that. I am eating mash, baked beans, hot dog sausages, cheese, jacket potatoes, any veg, any fruit and most pulses. So I'm not hungry but it does get a bit demorilising not losing tons of weight when I'm hardly eating anything either! We'll get there eventually, keep the faith!

ty sorry youve had probs to but good to know that im not unusuall lol. i had my salad n jacket potato and it went down well and i really enjoyed it, its obvious a lot of my problems were just fear of the 'wat if' and a lot was in my mind as i managed a stir fry last week n now a saladi think i mieght be one the right track now , it feels such a waste of 3 months though but thank god i now know wat i was doing wrong . i cant wate till next week to see if i will lose anything i hope i dont get disapointed but i know it may take a couple of weeks to get moving again but i feel a lot happler now ty all...................kath xxxxx

Kat i've no advice for you as i'm pre op!

I just wanted to say thank you, for being brave enough to put this post on. Chances are this could happen to any of us pre op peeps and by having your thread as a reference tool we can see all the helpful advice...

Good luck, you are going to succeed xxx

Thing is you are sorting your problem which is great to see. You recognised there was something not right, asked for advice and followed it. That to me is a perfect patient! Dont worry about the past it has now gone and you will do well here on in I am sure!

I honestly feel that not enough education about our post op diets is given. I got an A4 paper giving ideas for meals, of which some were high fat/sugar which is no good for bypass, and a couple of pages of stages of eating which were rather brief. Unless you get good advice you worry way too much and find everything so hard.

Good luck for the future
xxx

You've done the hard bit finding out where you went astray. If you continue as you're doing now you will soon get back on track. Stick with semi solid until you regain your confidence then gradually add in more solid things but eat a little teeny bit the size of a rubber on the top of a pencil and chew like mad. I couldn't do chicken until 7 months out so don't worry its different for everyone. Ease your way in and get yourself more happy with each item then add in more. You haven't failed just had a trying time.

Good luck, we're all here to help

M

Back