• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I think I dropped a clanger!!

maxsmum

Hi everyone :p I dont post much, I tend to read the posts that apply to me and say very little (really inspiring posts by the way!!)but I think I need some advice if possible!
I saw my Dr on Jan 12th and he said he would refer me for gastric bypass surgery, but he also refered me to the mental health team for my anti-depressants to be looked at as I have suffered anxiety and panic since my sons birth nine years ago and the meds were not working as well as they once did.. Well that was fine and I saw a counseller who decided I was anxious due to my weight as when i'm slimmer (not been slim since 1996 LOL) I dont need meds. The counseller referred me to the eating disorder clinic that have diagnosed 'binge eating disorder' (great stuff, tell me something I dont know..when I'm sad I eat alot !!). I then received a letter from the PCT in East Lancs asking for consent to see my medical records..No probs.. I rang the PCT this morning to see whats happening now as that was three weeks ago, and she said that I need a report from the dietician,which I will need to see at my doctors as I've not seen one since 1996. I then stupidly said 'do you need a report from the psycologist? to which she replied are you seeing the eating disorder clinic? I said yes and she replied 'OH'.
Have a blown it? will they not recommend me now I have pshcological problems with eating?? Really concerned I've blown my chances now as cannot afford to pay for the op myself. Help !!:(

I would think not to be hoest as many places now want you to have a psych evaluation before surgery so I dont think it will be a problem....maybe someone who has more expericence will be along soon to add sugestions...anyway Im sure it will be just fine xx

Hello there,

I don't know if this will help you but I had a bit of a stressy time with all this kind of thing when I went through the proceedure but unlike your situation my funding had been granted before I was asked to do all the multi disciplinary team tests.

But when I was sent for my psych evalution, the lady who did it came to the same conclusion as yours. That I binge, she was concerned that this would affect my long term results, as my binges often accompanied bad emotional times. And to be honest, it could jeopardize it if you do not learn to deal with emotions before undergoing this surgery. She told me this may hold up my surgery. As you can imagine, I was beside myself, I had planned everything around the date I had already been giving for the surgery to go ahead. I even broke down and cried in front of her. Which probably made her more concerned. She then told me, she would have to leave the final decision to the surgeon. She wanted me to get counselling.

I agreed to counselling as part and parcel to my treatment, if I had not, it could have delayed my surgery until I had dealt with it. So as part of my aftercare, I see a counsellor once a month to discuss "stuff" I am also on the waiting list for CBT to help me learn to deal with my emotions in a different way and not surpress them with food (which I can't do now I have the band in the way I may have been doing before)

I am getting better at dealing with emotions and my food and the band is working for me, the two things together keep me motivated and strong.

WLS is not just physical journey but it's an emotional journey too. I loved my food and my relationship with it has changed dramatically in the 5 months since surgery but obviously I had a life time of demons, and they have not all been banished.

I shouldn't worry, they do these tests in your best interests, not to hamper you. If they truly believe you need help prior to surgery, then sometimes you have to tow the party line to get where you want to be.

It sometimes involves having the patience of Mother Theresa.

Good luck and best wishes for your journey :)

Thanks so much Cazbandy..I needed that..I am on a waiting list for the CBT, and have rung the eating disorder team who have reasurred me that most people who have the surgery have a problem with food and the surgery is a tool to help with it !! Feel alot better now as the counsellor says she will support my application which will increase my chances of funding...phew !!!

Back