• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WHAT WORD AM I LOOKING FOR ?

janeyf

Hello everyone,

I've got my weight management review next Tuesday and having already been turned down 4 times, twice as was told did not meet the criteria and twice because they said I had to lose 2.5 stones or no go basically.

I have been seeing an eating disorder counseller that they referred me to for the past 4 months and feel slowly but surely that I am learning to change my ways but I have only got 10 lbs off.

gets the surgery no problem. I on the other hand have a BMI > 50 with co-morbs and am being made to lose 2.5 stone or will not even consider going back to panel.

This patient has very kindly given me permission to use his case history to ask why it is that they can do this. I know there is a postcode lotery throughout the country which is bad enough, but to have it within your own PCT is just wrong.

However, I cannot think of the word that describes this action. I don't think I can say it is descrimination as I don't suppose they have done this because of my gender or race etc, its obviously down to saving money. How can I describe this to them ?

You are an intellectual bunch, what do you think ?

xxxxxx

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I've got my weight management review next Tuesday and having already been turned down 4 times, twice as was told did not meet the criteria and twice because they said I had to lose 2.5 stones or no go basically.

I have been seeing an eating disorder counseller that they referred me to for the past 4 months and feel slowly but surely that I am learning to change my ways but I have only got 10 lbs off.

In the meantime, in my job as a medical secretary for a GP surgery, we have a lovely patient who had a bypass last October and I have been dealing with his referral letters and forms etc. I know therefore that he started with a lesser BMI than me. He has non-insulin dep diabetes (diet controlled only) and general joints pains etc. So no major co-morbs. he only lost a maximum of 10 lbs throughout his 3 year quest for surgery. However, he gets the surgery no problem. I on the other hand have a BMI > 50 with co-morbs and am being made to lose 2.5 stone or will not even consider going back to panel.

This patient has very kindly given me permission to use his case history to ask why it is that they can do this. I know there is a postcode lotery throughout the country which is bad enough, but to have it within your own PCT is just wrong.

However, I cannot think of the word that describes this action. I don't think I can say it is descrimination as I don't suppose they have done this because of my gender or race etc, its obviously down to saving money. How can I describe this to them ?

xxxxxx

Try double standards, unfair, hypocritical & a few I can't actually write on here :mad: Hope you fair better when the PCT's are no longer, hon x :)

I don't think you should put a patient's medical history on a public forum. It's good he's given you permission to use him for the appeal but I don't think you should put it on here.

You need to be really careful here. You obtained information that should be private and confidential and using it even with the patients permission after you obtained it might be a breach of the Data protection act. It could cost you your job, or even lead to prosecution so please be very careful.

It sucks big hairy balls that you are in this position but I'm not sure your approach is the best one. If they have a set criteria then don't follow it for others then challenge it but do not mention any actual patient history. My advice would be request for a case review with a senior manager to find out why you're being treated differently to others. Get an agreed plan of action and then forget making excuses just chuffin do it. If they are firm that you have to lose two stone to prove you are serious about losing weight (Let's face it in reality you've failed to do your bit so far) then just chuffin do it. I had to lose fifty five pounds pre op and did it because I really wanted it, if you want it bad enough you'll do it.

Good look with it hope it goes OK but be careful

Hello everyone,

In the meantime, in my job as a medical secretary for a GP surgery, we have a lovely patient who had a bypass last October and I have been dealing with his referral letters and forms etc. I know therefore that he started with a lesser BMI than me. He has non-insulin dep diabetes (diet controlled only) and general joints pains etc. So no major co-morbs. he only lost a maximum of 10 lbs throughout his 3 year quest for surgery. However, he gets the surgery no problem. I on the other hand have a BMI > 50 with co-morbs and am being made to lose 2.5 stone or will not even consider going back to panel.

xxxxxx

Not being funny but what you've done is illegal, gross misconduct and an abuse of your position. whether you've had the patients permission or not. Just because you have access to patients records, doesn't mean you can use that information. You can get into serious trouble and even end up being prosecuted, as they will ask you to reference and reveal your sources of information. The information governance team that uphold and protect patient information for the PCT your GP practice is part of, will come down on you and your employer like a ton of bricks.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your comments. I do understand what you say with respect to it probably not being the right route to take. I would never have revealed the identity of this patient to any source, I just wanted to be able to let them know that I know what they're doing.

I know you're right and I will find a way or wording this information without bringing another person in to the forum.

Thanks anyway

Jane

From the info you gave he DOES have a co-morbidity, he was a diet controlled diabetic. That is exactly what happened to me and it was a clear cut co-morbidity and I went through first time.
I think you will find that is your stumbling block so bringing him into it may be to your disadvantage.

Last edited:
If you want the surgery bad enough, lose the weight they're asking you to. If you have co-morbidites are they aware of them?

According to Stockport PCT criteria, you had to have type 2 diabetes requiring insulin or another high costing drug or use of 2 or more HA agents, so as a diet only controlled diabetes he was not classed as having co-morbs.

Yes they are aware of my co-morbidities, it was they who agreed I had them.

Yes I agree that I should lose the weight they have asked for but what I am saying is that this should go for ALL applicants that the exact same requirements are stipulated in your own PCT and not one rule for one and one rule for another. I

Got to agree with Karlos on this one. You have breached patient confidentiality here even though you haven't named him and he has given his blessing for you to talk openly about his case. although my heart goes out to you over the unfairness of it all you could find yourself on very shaky ground if found out...... As for not getting funding I am in the process of trying to get my BMI from 68 to 50 as a requirement for my funding for the bypass (7st7lb to lose in total). If I don't achieve this then I'm afraid there is no bypass for me. I am nearly there with just 10 lb to go. I have lots of co-morbidities which is why there is more emphasis on the 50BMI. The thing is if you really want this to happen then you will do what is necessary to get there. It hasn't been easy by any means but I know that I need this op to live and i will bend over backwards to get it. Good luck hun with your fight but you need to show the powers that be that you are willing to put the effort in. You can do it ;) xx

Janey you have put enough ingo on here for soneobe to identify where you may work and then potentially who the patient you are rdferring to is. I am really unconfortable with the info you have given without his consent on here and I think its beyond foolish to leave it on a searchable public forum

Back