• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I think I'm a dumper...

miss_malone

So, sugar does not agree with me.

In the past two days, on having small amounts of what were likely high sugar food liquidy foods, within 30 minutes I had cramping, followed by diarrhoea, followed by being very tired. It cleared up again quickly enough.

Thought? Is this dumping?

yep :)

Yes, Miss Malone.

I am another sleever who dumps, especially on high sugar liquid foods -- I think it is anything where the sugars hit the system really quickly and obviously in liquid form that is the case. For me I have found the worst culprits to be:

-- orange juice
-- all milkshakes / protein shakes / slim fast
...... even tho I can tolerate *exactly* the same quantity of sugar in a protein bar -- again because of the dense texture of the bar and other food bound with the sugar it does not seem to hit the intestines quite as fast, but in liquid form causes me problems
-- icing ..... absolutely anything with icing, even the smallest amount
-- pineapple ...... very high sugar high GI fruit

There are *some* sweet treats I can occasionally have in moderate amounts -- things where the sugars are bound with complex carbs (digestive biscuits) or where for some reason (chocolate -- small pieces) just does not bother me -- in *hard* form but liquid chocolate / shakes / hot chocolate would all cause me problems.

So, sugar does not agree with me.

In the past two days, on having small amounts of what were likely high sugar food liquidy foods, within 30 minutes I had cramping, followed by diarrhoea, followed by being very tired. It cleared up again quickly enough.

Thought? Is this dumping?

Can I please ask what foods caused this?

This 'dumping' is what concerns me. Hate using that term too, you'd have thought they'd have thought of something else to call it.

Yes it sounds like it. I have to say I dumped early on but not so much now.

Oh sorry. For me it was pâté and cake :)

Yes, Miss Malone.

I am another sleever who dumps, especially on high sugar liquid foods -- I think it is anything where the sugars hit the system really quickly and obviously in liquid form that is the case. For me I have found the worst culprits to be:

-- orange juice
-- all milkshakes / protein shakes / slim fast ...... even tho I can tolerate *exactly* the same quantity of sugar in a protein bar -- again because of the dense texture of the bar and other food bound with the sugar it does not seem to hit the intestines quite as fast, but in liquid form causes me problems
-- icing ..... absolutely anything with icing, even the smallest amount
-- pineapple ...... very high sugar high GI fruit

There are *some* sweet treats I can occasionally have in moderate amounts -- things where the sugars are bound with complex carbs (digestive biscuits) or where for some reason (chocolate -- small pieces) just does not bother me -- in *hard* form but liquid chocolate / shakes / hot chocolate would all cause me problems.

I love pineapple :( I wonder if it's a problem food for everyone? And what about mango and cherries - two of my other faves? I eat mango every day almost and I had hoped to eat it post surgery (when able to tolerate).

Hi

Good for you to anyone who does dump. Dumping is one of the mechanisms that makes WLS work.

The fear of being ill with Dumping Syndrome is one of the positive factors of WLS.

They call it Aversion Therapy, so if you do dump and make sure you stay away from the foods that make you dump it will only be for the good of your weight-loss.

Paul

And yep I am a dumper as well.

I wanna know what made you dump too. I've had home made fruit smoothies and fromage fraise and been fine, don't think I'm a dumper :( but I don't have a sweet tooth either

Thanks for all the great replies ladies.

So I know a few people want to know what made me dump ... had a 'one scoop' portion of Ben & Jerry's vanilla ice cream (a child's portion) at the movies ..... had about a quarter of a small sized Mc's Milkshake.

So really if I was going to dump both those would have done it LOL!

So no more sugary thing for me!! Which is good.

I love pineapple :( I wonder if it's a problem food for everyone? And what about mango and cherries - two of my other faves?

Hi Samsara,

Pineapple is def not a problem food for *everyone* -- but at least one other sleever I am aware of -- but not all.

Mango -- has been fine with me (it must be slightly less high GI than pineapple).

Have not tried cherries (don't like them) so couldn't guess one way or another.

I think for all post-op people everything is very "trial and error" -- you could spend your life avoiding *everything* with sugar in (inc fruits) just to be "on the safe side" -- but no one lives like that 100% of the time ...... eventually at some point 4, 5 or 6 months post op you will want to start trying things -- you will soon find out if you are a dumper or not.

Hi

Everyone will be different, but I try to keep my sugars below 6g per portion, made a big mistake with a glass do Horlix once especially when I found it had something like 24g of sugar per portion and Ovaltine is even worse.

I know when I have over done it as my dumping takes the form of dreadful sweats or blinding headaches. But there are other symptoms as well and some of them are quite bad.

Paul

Hi

Everyone will be different, but I try to keep my sugars below 6g per portion, made a big mistake with a glass do Horlix once especially when I found it had something like 24g of sugar per portion and Ovaltine is even worse.

I know when I have over done it as my dumping takes the form of dreadful sweats or blinding headaches. But there are other symptoms as well and some of them are quite bad.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Does this include fruit? I've just looked up a fruit chart and the sugars per 100g - most of them are over 6g. I didn't realise that fruit would cause you the same sorts of problems as say, chocolate?! :eek:

Oh hune me too. Had a small.por of sainsbury choc custard. it was bad the pain was dreadful.and cramps. Only thing that helped was hot bottle and rocking back and forth on Loo. Lasted about an hour. Will never touch choc custard again.

Thanks Paul. Does this include fruit? I've just looked up a fruit chart and the sugars per 100g - most of them are over 6g. I didn't realise that fruit would cause you the same sorts of problems as say, chocolate?! :eek:

Hi

I have not had any issues with fruit, but that may be because I am not a big Fruit eater, or it might be because fructose is different to sucrose.

Paul

Back