• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I think I'm a dumper...

Thank you both. So how are people tolerating fruit smoothies then? As that is essentially a fruit juice - and I presume they are not being watered down? Or are you talking about processed fruit juices in cartons etc? x

Thank you both. So how are people tolerating fruit smoothies then? As that is essentially a fruit juice - and I presume they are not being watered down? Or are you talking about processed fruit juices in cartons etc? x

I don't know .... but my answer would be *don't* have fruit smoothies anyway.

One of the MAIN pieces of advice before the surgery was:

-- do not drink liquid calories !!!!!!!!

As I have tried orange juice and had dumping I am not going to tempt fate and try McD milkshakes or fruit smoothies or "Innocent" (ha ha -- not) smoothies etc.

You can make your own without fruit juice. I had no problem drinking my home made ones. If you want the recipe, just let me know :)

I don't know .... but my answer would be *don't* have fruit smoothies anyway.

One of the MAIN pieces of advice before the surgery was:

-- do not drink liquid calories !!!!!!!!

As I have tried orange juice and had dumping I am not going to tempt fate and try McD milkshakes or fruit smoothies or "Innocent" (ha ha -- not) smoothies etc.

So no home made fruit smoothies even when you are on liquids only and you're barely eating anything in the beginning?! I'm not a big soup person. I'm not sure what that leaves me with apart from sugar free squash? Or milk/Crusha and cups of tea?

I'm fine with fruit juice and smoothies. I mix fruit juice with water or with my 1 litre bottle of nas(mix and match lemon squash and orange juice)

My smoothies I mix with milk/yoghurt.

Thank you all. I wasn't intending on buying any processed shakes or smoothies. Just making my own so I know what is in them :) x x

I must admit, the 'Aversion Therapy' aspect of dumping is something I'm going to find really useful. I've had the most incredible sweet tooth for as long as I can remember and am now 'glucose intolerant' (sometimes known as pre-diabetes).
Mind you, I'm only on day 2 of the pre-op diet so I've got a looooong way to go haha.

You'll only have to dump once. That will put you off it happening again lol

Until you try something else you didn't *know* would make you dump, but suddenly does (woops).

It's an interesting learning curve and sometimes the difference between foods that do cause dumping and those that don't is a bit random.

I have found my "sugar tolerance" level is a very finely tuned knife edge ..... the tipping point of a certain food being one that does or doesn't take me over the edge to 'dumpsville' is quite small.

But nearly 10 months post surgery, I know what that tipping point is (I think:rolleyes:) and have mentally stored notes of (a) foods I can no longer have, and (b) those that don't cause problems.

But the 'tipping point' that causes dumping varies from person to person (sleever or bypasser) ......... we have to learn what works for us. :)

I guess this whole process is one huge learning curve!

Only on day 2 of pre-op diet and already seem to be in mourning over some foods I won't be eating again - or in the same amount. Then I give myself a bloody good kick up the a**e and the moment passes :) Talk about idiot thinking!

Back