• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I told my son.

A.Positive

Well, today I decided to tell my oldest child about my plan for surgery. He is 10 on Wednesday and knows all too well how my weight effects me. He has helped me to put on my shoes and always comments on how out of breath I am after doing very simple tasks.

I showed him a virtual video of the surgery (it wasn't gory in the slightest) and was able to answer all his questions. I explained that it was my hope that after surgery, I would be able to play with all 3 of them more, go out more and never ask him to help me put on my shoes again. :D

He gave me a huge hug, told me a loved me and said he was very excited that this would help me; help all of us to be able to have fun together. He wants me to collect me from school every day and go on bike rides.

I tell you, he is such a wonderful child.

What a sweetheart he sounds xx

My son was 12 when I first started my journey and 14 when I had the op and he was my rock. Obviously I didn't tell him my fears etc but his enthusiasm was amazing.

I'm so glad for you - sounds like you've 3 darlings there xx

thats awesome. My twins are 5 and far too young to understand the surgery concept, but I know I will need to tell them something when I go in for a couple of days. They know already that the doctors are helping me to get healthy (I try to make it more about health than weight) and they are great at pointing out what I am and am not allowed to have - they are so strict I wonder whether my dietician has them on commission!

I'm glad your son is so understanding - it makes me wonder how much our kids worry about us and we never realise...?

xxx

Aw that is lovely. What a clever, understanding little boy :) x

my son was just about to turn 12 when I had my surgery - he was and is my motivation for taking this Wls as far as I can! It's lovely knowing they understand an can be our biggest supporter. Apart from my aunt, he s the only reason who knows :)

Your son sounds like mine, and already my son sees h differences. I'm hoping on our holiday next week he will see it even more :)

my little boy was 4.1/2 when I had surgery a few months ago.

He didnt know anything until he dropped me at the hospital with my husband.... I gave him my necklace to wear and keep safe for me. They came back later that day when I was out of surgery and was a bit worried at that point and for a week or two later...

However, he now understands what I was doing and why. He's young enough now not to dwell on things for long.

I already feel much better for it - I can RUN and play chase / ball, lump around with him sat on my shoulders. He's 3st and I've already lost over 5st now, with a similar amount still to go.....

Sheesh - I've got to feel better - I'm not carrying around the weight of almost 2 x 5yos !!

children are brilliant, my daughter wrote me a note which I found in my dressing gown pocket, she was nearly 15 when I had my op. It said that I was the strongest bravest person in the world and she knew that this had been a hard decision but she loved me and wanted to go out on bike rides with me afterwards!!

this is an interesting post because was not sure what to do as I also have a 10 year old son. Earlier in the year he was calling me names and making fun of my size. I had a discussion about how unkind that was. Hew as only having some fun but I explained it was hurtful and he should never do such things to anyone. He was very apologetic.. now my concern is that he will think I am having the surgery because he made fun of me.. I could explain that its not the reason but if something happens to me during surgery he would blame himself.. not sure what is the for the best really..

Back