• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I want my gastic band!

Maitresse

I was told by a friend in bristol, that her colleague has been referred for her gastric band because her BMI was over 35. I went to see my dr here in hampshire, and asked her to put me forward. She told me that she can't because my BMI is not over 60!!!! Mine is currently 43, so I REALLY need help!

Can anyone give me any advice here?

THanks!

Unfortunately different PCT's have different requirements, and some set 60 as the minimum for funding (generally with a clause for 50 with related medical problems). Have a look at the BOSPA website to check what your PCTs requirements are exactly, in case your GP is wrong, or contact your PCT to verify.

If your GP is right then you're not going to be able to get one on NHS unless you move to a different area, so you'd need to look at going private.

HTH,

Shel

PS - Welcome to Mini's :D

Unfortunately different PCT's have different requirements, and some set 60 as the minimum for funding (generally with a clause for 50 with related medical problems). Have a look at the BOSPA website to check what your PCTs requirements are exactly, in case your GP is wrong, or contact your PCT to verify.

If your GP is right then you're not going to be able to get one on NHS unless you move to a different area, so you'd need to look at going private.

HTH,

Shel

PS - Welcome to Mini's :D

Thanks Shel..........

Looks like I need to move! lol!:p

My BMI was around the same as yours before my op and I had to go private as i was told by my gp there was no way I would qualify for NHS round here. In my opinion, if you can raise the funds, it is money well spent xx

Phone the PCT direct. My doctor has been telling me for years that my area doesnt fund the op but it seems they do. Got to be worth the question.

Hi and welcome to mini's. As others have said each PCT is different. My BMI was over 40 and i had mine done by the NHS. You need to ask your GP to show you the criteria for your PCT (or you can get it from the internet). If it doesn't state what he has said then you have the right to request an application for funding is made and appeal any decision. Good luck x

Thanks for you advice everyone! I think I will contact the PCT directly, and see what they say. Got to be worth a punt! Here is hoping! I have tried everything else!

Hi I know its a bummer when you get told no, I am lucky enough to come under a PCT that has BMI of 35 plus things like high blood pressure etc. I have not been told no out right but that I should attend weight management for two years, attended and the consultant stated that in his opinion surgery would be better. Recalled PCT and spoke to a nice lady there she said that it counts as extra information and that the commissioning panel need to be made aware. I am waiting to see a surgeon to see if he also agrees it would be beneficial for me and then that carries more weight again. You have to do your research and keep on trying....I have come a long way but still have a long way to go before I can settle back and believe I will get the op....good luck...Linda x

Back