• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Gastric Band Diary

size102b

Hello
I thought Id write my Diary from the very begining of My Gastric Band story.
I hope this may help others whom like me is at a place they know only Gastric Surgery can help them now.

I have yoyoed all my adult life done all the plans lived from 2005 to 2008 on Cambridge Diet on & off......
Here I am 43 BMI and have hit a Brick Wall where diets plans are concerned.

So I come here with some fantastic people,giving me vital info I couldnt find anywhere else.
I have contemplated banding for 2 years lots of thought has gone into this.

I have got as much info as I can and written my GP a Gastric Band info letter saying why I need one,what the NICE & PCT guidelines are so Im fully inadvance of all the facts before I see him and he has all the facts in hand as I have given him a letter before I go on wednesday.

I have seen in my area PCT wont give me Banding on the NHS unless In BMI of 60 & over which I feel is terrible,I understand there are many more people in need of NHS help but I do too and another PCT near mine allows Gastric NhS surgery with BMI over 40?

So I have a private appointment with Mr Simon Toh part of Shaw Somers group,he is at Spire Portsmouth (HAVANT).
I have researched lots of companies and Spire Havant seem to have the best package,I could go for a lifetime after care one but cant afford or justify an extra #2000 pounds just for dietry advice.

So I have my GP appointmant Wednesday Morning,pointless but at least I cant look back and regret not going later on...
Then the week following I have my Private Consultation with Mr Simon Toh,June 18th at 2.

I will update as things happen.

xx

Goodluck Size, you have asked many questions and researched fully...just go for it, you will be on that losers bench very shortly...I have no regrets up to now xxxxx

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your weightloss journey, I know its not easy and a last resort, But you will not regret it one bit!
Your gonna do great! Good luck with your appointments x

Hi size102b. Here's hoping that the 18th comes around quickly for you. I too have had to go down the private route. I am eligable for NHS treatment but just know that it will be a long, protracted wait. So I have a consult with dietician tomorrow and then a provisional appointment with Shaw Somers on the 15th. I'm scared/excited/worried/anxious but also determined. Fingers crossed for you.

Hi guys :thankyou: all your fab :D

I have now had an email from the IOW PCT and sadly I no where near qualify which is unfair it should be the same rules for the whole country,never mind hey I will now go full steam into Private and hope my Op will be allowed and soon.

xxxx
Part of email 8/6/09

Population covered and demand for service
The population covered includes all patients registered with general practices in Hampshire, the
Isle of Wight, Dorset, South Wiltshire, and Western Sussex.
Based on the level of bariatric activity which has been commissioned over the last 12 months
across the Central South Coast area, an indicative demand for this service would be 75
procedures per annum.
The Authority reserves the right to award a contract to more than one provider.

Case definition
Morbid obesity is defined as a BMI (body mass index) of 40 kg/m

2 or more, or of 35 kg/m2 or
more in the presence of significant co-morbidities. Because the number of individuals in the
Central South Coast with a BMI of 40 kg/m

2 or more is in the region of 29,000 priority will be
given to those with greatest need. The threshold BMI for surgery is therefore:

45 kg/m2 in the presence of serious co-morbidity which will be improved by bariatric
surgery

60 kg/m2 in the absence of serious co-morbidity

Inclusion criteria for bariatric surgery
Bariatric surgery for weight reduction is commissioned only when the following criteria are met.

Last edited:
You will probably get it done a lot quicker going private. Although it is a disappointment not having it done on the nhs. I agree it should be the same policies across the country, sadly it is the same with a lot of treatments such as cancer treatment. Good luck at your appointment.

You will probably get it done a lot quicker going private. Although it is a disappointment not having it done on the nhs. I agree it should be the same policies across the country, sadly it is the same with a lot of treatments such as cancer treatment. Good luck at your appointment.

Yes its a very strange country we live in?
Fingers Crossed for next week x:banana dancer:

Back