• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why won't they help me?!

phattybumbum

I am currently just over 19 stone, and have been overweight my entire life. I have dieted, lost weight, put it back on plus more........over and over again. I asked my dr for help with gastric surgery and was told that my BMI would have to be 60 in my area (hampshire pct). My BMI is currently 43. Guidelines all across the UK seem to be for a BMI of 40.

I am so inspired by your stories, and admire you all. Have any of you got any advice or guidance?:sigh:

I am currently just over 19 stone, and have been overweight my entire life. I have dieted, lost weight, put it back on plus more........over and over again. I asked my dr for help with gastric surgery and was told that my BMI would have to be 60 in my area (hampshire pct). My BMI is currently 43. Guidelines all across the UK seem to be for a BMI of 40.

I am so inspired by your stories, and admire you all. Have any of you got any advice or guidance?:sigh:

Unfortunately alot of the pct changed their criteria's lately due to lack of some funding and tightening of the old purse strings.......Sorry to hear they wont help but do u know if u have any comorbidities???(health related issues with weight )Not sure if that would make a difference as I am not familiar with wot your pct require..... Is there any chance of going private??? Wishing u all the best - Julie xx

Have you checked with your PCT what the guidelines actually are?
Sometimes the BOSPA website has the individual PCT guides on there.

A BMI of 60 is quite high - though I know there is cutting of NHS services.

DO you have any co-morbidities cos sometimes the required BMI is less if you do have.

Don't give up - investigate your options

Good Luck

And by the way welcome to the site

xxx

Each PCT sets it's own requirements, and a BMI of 60 isn't uncommon. 40 is the NICE guidelines, but these are just that, guidelines, and each PCT can do what they want.

Contact the PCT directly or via PALS and ask for their policy on funding bariatric surgery to make sure your GP is correct, and if it is a no go for you then you have the following options:

- pay privately for surgery (£6-12k)
- ask for alternative assistance with weight loss; weight management program; medical help; exercise referral; slimming club referral
- move to a different area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

this is wot the hampshire pct require

BMI over 60 or over 45 with serious comorbidities such as established ischaemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes requiring oral medication or insulin, life-threatening sleep apnoea, severe uncontrolled hypertension, benign intracranial hypertension, history of transient ischaemic attacks or stroke, severe lower limb major joint disease requiring orthopaedic intervention which is precluded on safety grounds due to the patient’s BMI.

Hi,
I applied direct to my PCT and before I did I did alot of research. I read the NHS handbook and that states whilst the PCT can have differing guidelines they cannot have a blanket statement system.

Every patient should be assessed on their individual merit.

If your doc is on ur side get a letter of support off them. If u have co morbities ie type 2 diabetes see if your diabetic team would support you.

What you must proof to your PCT is that you would benefit more than other person with a bmi of 40.

The more support and reasesrch you can present to the PCT the better your case would be.

Hope that helps. X x

sounds like they're pretty tough on the comorbidities being very serious ones. Is there any way you could manage to go private?

hi just a quickie im hampshire i started at nearly 22 stone i had no things extra wrong with me to do with my weight so i had to pay privately im still paying for it now but if you really want a bypass or band you will have to stump up with the cash im afraid harsh i know!! good luck with what you decide getting a band was the best decision i have made!!x

I come under Southampton PCT and they are very tough. My BMI is just under 50 but I have serious respiratory problems which are not included in their list of co-morbidities. So I don't officially meet their criteria.

My GP got the backing of my respiratory consultant and as I have high blood pressure (controlled though), and mild to moderate sleep apnea, I was granted funding.

If you have any other health issues that affect your daily life, it could be worth speaking to your GP and seeing if they can back you.

My doctor put me forward under 'exceptional circumstances'because I need other surgeries but cant have them till the weight is off.Are you sure you dont have anything,even things in your past health that havent been looked into, that would impact on their decision.

Thanks everyone. I am definitely going to look into this more. Unfortunately I dont have the money to pay privately, but I am going to my dr again and going to see if there is any way she can help me.

Back