• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

If you could offer one bit of advise what would it be.

Hi I would say don't worry about missing goods. I ate everything and anything thinking the end was near. And it was totally unnecessary as I can eat anything still, just not a lot of it! I not missing anything. Eating out is fine and still enjoyable. I stopped the fizzy drinks and don't miss them at all now. That was a good move. I would say buy dresses (jersy) as you get more wear out of them when changing sizes than trousers and enjoy shopping!! I have had an easy ride compared to some and can honestly say having a bypass has been easier than lighter life or the Cambridge diet that I have done in the past. Good luck and enjoy the positive journey x

Even bread and pizza? Lol

Just had pizza for a Friday treat for tea. It was thin crust cheese and mushroom, added ham, more cheese and onions. Hubby had 3/4 of it and I have had 1/4, and am satisfied and full.
I try and avoid bread but can eat it, but opt for wholemeal or wraps. Honestly i do not feel deprived in any way!

Sounds good. I am missing carbs. Mash is a bit boring lol. Miss pizza like crazy. A lot of people said they can't eat it post bypass so I had about 5 over 2 weeks before milk diet lol :p

Hi I can honestly eat anything. And I don't want to deprive myself as I have done this for years dieting, to then binge out. So if I want something, I have a bit to get it out of my system. (Except for crisps as I still can't resist)
I was 20 stone this time last year, op in feb and just under 12 stone now!
Look forward to going to going out for pizza again! You will be able to! But it's an occasional treat now oppose to a regular takeaway.
I have lost my taste for chocolate to, but I still occasionally have some.
We are tried, tested and failed long term dieters who needed some intervention. Honestly don't focus on missing food, you won't!! Because a little bit of something doesn't hurt, and out tool allows that. Xxxx

Borogirl - it could be me talking. I was having toast at about four weeks post op albeit Nimble wholemeal. I can manage a couple of slices really slowly, or one slice of a more substantial loaf (my fave is the Kingsmill seeded). Tho I've never been a great liker of pizza I can manage a couple of slices of thin crust. And treat-size chocolate is my secret ;-)

I too refuse to 'diet' after surgery. I have small amounts of naughty things when I fancy them - which is considerably less often than it was before my surgery. Diet is about denial. Bypass WLS is about liberation and restriction. It is a tool to help us - and how we use it is up to us. I for one want to use it wisely, and the support I get from my team is tremendous.

Yes we must be in the same mindset. I now eat , hopefully like a thin healthy person would and they don't deprive themselves, just know when to have a treat (occasionally) and know when to stop. If I want to luck start weightloss, I avoid carbs and it falls off.
X

i would say research everything and give yourself as much of a head start as poss! I started eating off a side plate, having planned snacks and cut out fizzy drinks pre surgery. Really helped get used to the portion size x

Best advice I would give is take plenty of photos now and on the way down. You will never be this big again, and it's good to look back and reflect how far you've come, further down the line. Take measurements too.
Next best advice - throw/give away all those too big clothes apart from 1 item you feel good in - just for comparison when you reach goal.
More advice - shop in charity shops on the way down so you don't feel obliged to get your money's worth out of new ones.

If you can, get some CBT again to prepare yourself. Start looking at when you eat and why you eat, and start to build strategies for post op. Read up about post op life and prepare the people in your life to support you. And make a list of the things that made you choose wls - because the first month is hard and you will need that list of the things you're leaving behind

If you can, get some CBT again to prepare yourself. Start looking at when you eat and why you eat, and start to build strategies for post op. Read up about post op life and prepare the people in your life to support you. And make a list of the things that made you choose wls - because the first month is hard and you will need that list of the things you're leaving behind

Yvessa,

What does CBT stand for? I understand most of the shorthand but I can't get that one!

I think its Cognitive Therapy Behaviour. But Im with you, I always think what does it mean :/

It is. I'm a CBT therapist. It's about how your thoughts affect your feelings and behaviours. There's lots online :)

Sorry, yes, cognitive behaviour therapy. It may not solve your issues now, but combined with a wls, it can be incredibly effective

If you could offer one bit of advice to someone who is waiting for their surgery date, what would it be?

Hi phabbsy :)
Not sure if these have been mentioned but .... Record everything before you start. Measure everywhere. Take loads of photos from different angles. Look out a favourite "I wore this at my biggest" outfit and put it away so when you get to target you have something to compare to. Do not weigh yourself for at least two weeks post op & be aware that the chances are you will have a stall once the initial drop of weight is over. This is where taking regular measurements come in handy ;)
Most of all try not to worry, if you are then put the effort from worrying into preparation for after the op ... I went into mrs mop mode :eek:. Good luck hun xx

Hi phabbsy :) Not sure if these have been mentioned but .... Record everything before you start. Measure everywhere. Take loads of photos from different angles. Look out a favourite "I wore this at my biggest" outfit and put it away so when you get to target you have something to compare to. Do not weigh yourself for at least two weeks post op & be aware that the chances are you will have a stall once the initial drop of weight is over. This is where taking regular measurements come in handy ;) Most of all try not to worry, if you are then put the effort from worrying into preparation for after the op ... I went into mrs mop mode :eek:. Good luck hun xx

This sounds like great advice note to self buy a tape measure if I can find one to fit

Buy a kiddies drinking cup, the type with the pop up straw. Tesco were selling them for a pound in the summer - they make it so much easier to keep sipping fluids.

Buy a few thermal mugs. I bought some at one of these Bargain Stores for £1.29 each. They are great, as it can take an hour to drink a cup of tea initially, again, you can keep sipping a warm drink.

Back