• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

If you live in Birmingham you can get free gym membership!

Sambucca

Yes, thats right.... FREE gym membership!

I asked my Dr to refer me to exercise on prescription and had my consultation yesterday. Exercise on prescription is basically a 12 week programme designed to improve your fitness/help you lose weight, but you pay the going rate each time you attend the gym.

While I was there, the fitness instructor told me about "Be Active" which is an initiative in Bham to get people to be more active.

If you pay your council tax to Bham and are over 16 you qualify. There is no health criteria to fulfill. Basically, you complete a short form - take in 2 forms of ID and bingo. You are signed up there and then.

The scheme qualifies you for free entrance to any of the Bham City Council run gyms between 7am - 4pm Mon - Fri and after 1pm on Sat and Sun. It also qualifies you for free swimming at any session which is open to the public.

It can be used in conjunction with exercise on prescription if you wish, but you have to be referred by your GP for that. Exercise on prescription gets you a free induction, a free programme worked out for you and regular reviews. A report is fed back to your GP after 12 weeks to say if your fitness etc has improved.

Hope someone finds this useful!

That sounds fab hun:DI'm gonna enquire at my docs next time I go:D

Back