• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone in North Birmingham?

Sambucca

Hello

I have been registered on this site for a long time but have been mainly lurking recently. I did Cambridge Diet sole source back in 2007 and lost 4 stones and have slowly but surely put it all back on.

Ive been overweight my whole adult life and have tried just about every diet going but never seem to manage to get to goal. I have been trying to pluck up courage to go and see my doctor for a long while about the possibility of a band or bypass but keep wimping out.

Ive always felt that my weight has not prevented me from doing the things I wanted to do, but just lately it is having a massive effect on my life. Im out of breath all the time, I cant bend down properly to get socks or shoes on and I am gaining weight so if I dont get this sorted out NOW I will still be here in 12 months time complaining of the same things but possibly 3 or 4 stones heavier.

So are any of you based in North Birmingham? How did you approach your doctors? Was the referral process simple? Did any of you in North Bham get a NO from your GP?

Thanks for reading!

Hi Sam & welcome to WLS thread!I am North Brum; Birmingham East & North PCT as it tesmaralda.It took me a while to pluck up the courage to ask my GP too, but after doing every diet under the sun (including LL & CD - losing 7 stone and regaining it - and how!), rubbish knees, heart problems, breathlessness, severe depression and generally feeling like something that huffed and puffed from under a large rock, I did it. I went and blurted out 'What're the chances of my having a gastric band on the NHS?'

I have two young-ish children and my real fear is that I will not see them grow into adults. I pushed this point with him.

He was happy to refer and I got the go ahead as I fitted all the required criteria for BENPCT to fund. I am now waiting for my next appointment with the bariatric team at Walsall Manor Hospital under Mr Amir Khan.

Have a look at the BOSPA site: BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association and in particular the 'Information Station' pages, where you will find lots of very useful info.

If you are interested, tesmaralda (Terri) and I are looking to meet up before Christmas for a coffee and a compare notes (gossip!) session. Whereabouts in North Brum are you?

Hi Brunetteandred, thanks so much for replying.

Thanks also for that BOSPA link, looks very informative. Im going to get myself a coffee and then read through it now while my hubby is watching villa on the telly lol.

Im in Sutton Coldfield, not far from the town centre. Whereabouts are you?

Hi WL8S, remember you from my days in CD ;)

Am a fellow villa widow tonight (cursing channel 5) as hubby is a brummy and is claret and blue through and through!

If you look on the stickies on this part of the forum there is one on seeking NHS funding which you might find useful.

My only advice is don't be nervous of your GP.

Hi hun

Nothing constructive to offer but it is so good to see you again! For what it's worth I would investigate it further and have a chat with your doctor as you aren't committing to anything by asking a few questions.

Gxxx

Hi WL8S, remember you from my days in CD ;)

Am a fellow villa widow tonight (cursing channel 5) as hubby is a brummy and is claret and blue through and through!

If you look on the stickies on this part of the forum there is one on seeking NHS funding which you might find useful.

My only advice is don't be nervous of your GP.

Thanks Shel, will look at the sticky. YOu made me laugh saying your OH is claret and blue through and through - thats exactly like my hubby.

Hi hun

Nothing constructive to offer but it is so good to see you again! For what it's worth I would investigate it further and have a chat with your doctor as you aren't committing to anything by asking a few questions.

Gxxx

THanks G, you are looking absolutely stunnings and those shoes are something else! Remind me of Dorothy - theres no place like home, theres no place like home lol

HI yes I am also north birmingham Kingstanding lass. I have had a bit of a battle with my gps 2 refused point blank and the 3rd was only because I lost the plot with my pain clinic dr(who is also a gp at my surgery) as I keep being told different things by drs about my back, one says its artritus the other its my weight and he copped the lot cause they put me on reductil and I put on 7.5lbs in a fortnight. If your up for it we can meet along with brunetteandred, and i think Debol mentioned she'd like to come along, we need to through some dates in the ring and see what comes out. I am currently waiting for the pct to approve my funding as the hospital(walsall Manor) have already accepted me for surgery wierd i know but if i can be of any help let me know

HI yes I am also north birmingham Kingstanding lass. I have had a bit of a battle with my gps 2 refused point blank and the 3rd was only because I lost the plot with my pain clinic dr(who is also a gp at my surgery) as I keep being told different things by drs about my back, one says its artritus the other its my weight and he copped the lot cause they put me on reductil and I put on 7.5lbs in a fortnight. If your up for it we can meet along with brunetteandred, and i think Debol mentioned she'd like to come along, we need to through some dates in the ring and see what comes out. I am currently waiting for the pct to approve my funding as the hospital(walsall Manor) have already accepted me for surgery wierd i know but if i can be of any help let me know

wow, what a small world. I grew up in Kingstanding on Cooksey Lane and my parents are still there. Good on you for sticking to your guns with the doctors. Not sure I will be as strong so need to hope for a yes lol. I too am suffering back pain recently along with other symptoms which I have put down to my weight. Lovely to meet you!

Hiya I live in Great Barr, work in Kingstanding.

Went private for my Gastric Band had it done 27th Oct.

Welcome

Love Dee x

Thanks for the welcome.

Do you mind if I ask where you went for your private op, and how much it cost? You dont have to answer if you dont want to - just trying to prepare myself incase doc says no to NHS referral.

Crikey! Looks like we got us a K/S B44 Posse here! ;)

Shel - tell your OH shame on him; as a south Brum Longbridge lad he should be a Bluenose! lol!

wl8s - looks like the general concensus is approach your GP and see where it goes. Whatever happens, you can be assured of excellent advice, support, hugs and rant-listening here! :D

Shel - tell your OH shame on him; as a south Brum Longbridge lad he should be a Bluenose! lol!

:eek: what have i done wrong? why are you trying to break up my marriage :8855: I'd get divorced in an instant if I even suggested it!

His whole family are villans, except for one neice, who is the shame of the clan.

wl8s - looks like the general concensus is approach your GP and see where it goes. Whatever happens, you can be assured of excellent advice, support, hugs and rant-listening here! :D

Have now booked a doctors appointment for Next Thursday 11th Dec:eek:

Hi ya'll,

Am offline at home just now (it's driving me nuts!). Any K/S B44 posse wanting to meet up for a swift coffee etc, let wannalose8stone know and she can text me the best date. I'll good for the next two weeks.

I am missing my daily fix of 'loser'convo! :(

Back