• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

If you were to talk me into Gastric Bypass...

TurtleGal

What would you say?

I have my intake appointment for surgery on November 8th with a clininc here in the Netherlands. From what I can tell they seem to push mostly the lap-band and Gastric Bypass but I think in some situations they will do the sleeve and DS too.

My situation is a bit difficult and time sensitive. I am 36.5 years old, at my highest my weight was 308lbs and I am now approximately 240lbs. I have had a long struggle with my weight, since childhood and also a long struggle with infertility. I had to lose 85lbs in order to have IUI (intra-uterine insemination) here, as they worried about my weight with the drugs etc. I had 6 IUI treatments in the first half of this year, but none were successful :(

I was told that in order to have IVF (which thankfully is covered by insurance, but not without conditions) I had to get a BMI below 35, which meant getting below 200lbs. Because of the daily hormone injections, stress etc during the course of the treatments and the months since, I have gained 40 of the 85lbs back that I had initially lost.

My doctors have been suggesting weight loss surgery for years, but I have kept saying no, that I could do it myself. I've realized that I need help and all of my doctors are in agreement that this is the best choice for me, to have WLS. I need to get my weight off as soon as possible as I am now at an age where every minute counts. With each year that goes by my chances of success with IVF become less and less, and they won't do it at once you hit 40.

I REALLY don't want the lap-band. I have a friend who had it and it doesn't seem to have been a great success at all. I've heard far too many stories about issues with slippages, follow up surgeries, the constant fills and trying to get it just right ... and most of all, I do NOT wait to wait 6 weeks after surgery to get a fill. I want to start seeing results -ASAP-!!!

I think when this clinic hears I don't want the lap band that they will push for the bypass, but I will be honest... it scares the crap out of me!! I would like to have the sleeve done for a number of reasons but I want to be prepared. I want to learn more about the bypass before I make any firm decisions.

The reasons I am so afraid of the bypass is that the surgery seems so extreme compared to the others. I'm not sure how I feel about having my bowels messed with, I have wheat intolerance and have suffered IBS many years so the idea of dumping and all that comes along with the bypass is very very unappealing.

Another major reason why I worry is because of the hair loss. From what I can tell this is most frequent in bypass patients. The reason I am not able to get pregnant is because I have PCOS. One of my unfortunate symptoms is Androgenic Alopecia. My hair is already quite thin on the crown, and if I had ANY hairloss from the surgery it would become visible very quickly, to the point of looking bald, I think.

I also worry about the things I hear about the bypass and the 'blind stomach'. Cancer runs rampant in my belly and the scare stories I've heard about ulcers, cancer etc going undetected because that portion of the stomach isn't visible worries me.

Another big issue is the malabsorption / malnutrition. Where my end goal is IVF and hopefully a resulting pregnancy, I think that the sleeve is probably the better option. I know many have gotten pregnant after bypass (and I would SO love to hear about your experience if you are one of those people and are reading this!!) but I still worry.

So what I want to know is... if you were tasked with telling me about gastric bypass or trying to talk me into it, with my situation in mind... what would you say? What would you want to make sure I knew?

I'm going to post this on the sleeve forum as well, I really want to make sure I go to my appointment with all information possible so I know I leave with a fully informed decision that I can live with.

Thank you all so much for your time, I hope to hear from you (and hopefully become part of your community, as I think I'll need all the support I can get when the time comes!) :)

Hi TurtleGal, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will get a few more replies but here's my contribution for what its worth;)

I had a bypass in August and so far have had a very easy journey, although I know there are others who have not had such a smooth ride. I also had an aquaintance who has a band and has lost very little weight. I also really didn't want a 'foreign body' inside me forever and didn't like the possible complications.

I have not experienced any dumping, although the risk of it has kept me away from anything sugary which is no bad thing. I can tolerate a limited amount of fat but have not abused this. My recovery was swift, after the first week I only needed occasional mild painkillers.

It has been such a great experience I wish I had done it many years ago. I don't know very much about sleeves except I think that weightless can be a bit quicker with the bypass due to the malabsorption, but there are bound to be those who can tell you their great losses with a sleeve!

I also know of others who have successfully had babies after bypasses, and with ongoing support from their nutritionists have stayed healthy and fit.

I don't think I can or should influence you either way as this is such a personal decision, but I certainly have no regrets about my choice:). Good luck in your decision making, and listen to what your doctors suggest, and check their rationale for those suggestions - after all they are probably the experts in this:)

Hi TurtleGal, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will get a few more replies but here's my contribution for what its worth;)

I had a bypass in August and so far have had a very easy journey, although I know there are others who have not had such a smooth ride. I also had an aquaintance who has a band and has lost very little weight. I also really didn't want a 'foreign body' inside me forever and didn't like the possible complications.

I have not experienced any dumping, although the risk of it has kept me away from anything sugary which is no bad thing. I can tolerate a limited amount of fat but have not abused this. My recovery was swift, after the first week I only needed occasional mild painkillers.

It has been such a great experience I wish I had done it many years ago. I don't know very much about sleeves except I think that weightless can be a bit quicker with the bypass due to the malabsorption, but there are bound to be those who can tell you their great losses with a sleeve!

I also know of others who have successfully had babies after bypasses, and with ongoing support from their nutritionists have stayed healthy and fit.

I don't think I can or should influence you either way as this is such a personal decision, but I certainly have no regrets about my choice:). Good luck in your decision making, and listen to what your doctors suggest, and check their rationale for those suggestions - after all they are probably the experts in this:)

I agree with everything Minxie says ... You should not be persuaded either way as it is a life changing process & not right for everyone. I has mine on 3rd Oct this year & am fully recovered & have no doubts about my decision. Be guided by your surgeon as after all he is the one trained to make the best choice for his patients. Good Luck xxx :):)

1.You dont always lose weight in the first few weeks with other surgeries either!
2.Your bowel is not touched,its the small intestine at the top.
3. Your ibs could well be cured when you start eating a better diet post op.
4.Not everyone dumps,I can eat cakes,sweets,biscuits,and
pudding with no dumping!
5.Your hair thins and comes back after about 6/9 months,its only temporary as your body gets used to the changes.
6.Blind stomach just means it is no longer used not that it cant be seen,its still there why would it not be visable on a scan?
7.It is recommended not to get pregnant for the first couple of years to allow your body to get well and built up ready for pregnancy.Saying that there have been about four babies born that I know of after surgery.Your doctor is the best to ask.I would concentrate on getting the surgery and getting really healthy before getting pregnant.It takes a hell of a lot out of you and then to go through iVF and then a pregnancy would be very hard on your body.You might fall pregnant naturally when the weight has gone.Maz x

Thanks for the replies everyone :) I think that hearing the experiences of people who have 'been three' is the best way to learn about the surgery and make a decision.

Back