• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BYPASS REVERSAL

chrisa

Hi all I have was told during the process of waiting for my gastric bypass that it wasn't reversible, since then I have heard several times that it is. I understnad that it is a complicated operation as is the bypass in the first place has any one had it reversed. I do not want mine reversed but it is always a question I have wanted to ask about. Any body got any answers????:confused:

Yes it is reversible as nothing is removed. A difficult op though.

I presume surgeons don't want to reverse it until absolutely last resort. I told lots of people that it wasn't reversible and like i say since learned that it is. Strange thay he should tell me that. x

It is extremely difficult to reverse and will only be done in very rare cases. Basically, I think they only do it if it's a matter of life and death. I understand that it is a much bigger operation than the bypass itself.

Oh yes they don't do it willy nilly, I have come across a few people who are very ill post bypass with deficiencies etc who have had it done. It's got to be really bad.

Ahhh that makes a lot of sense suppose they don't intend having to do it cos they think every op should be a success but there is always the exception to the rule. x

I think it is a very risky surgery with its own complications so they will try to avoid it. Also don't think it can be completely reversed but I could be wrong.

I had the pleasure/ downfall of meeting an inspiring young lady in hospital who's procedure went wrong. Within 4 days of her surgery she had had to have her bypass reversed. When mine went wrong they were going to fix me by converting me to a mini bypass.. Often wondered what would have happened if they'd done this and it hadn't worked either.. I hope I never get to find out!

Its just something I have always wondered about and then after hearing people having to have it done thought I would ask all you lovelies thanks for your responses xx

Hi all I have was told during the process of waiting for my gastric bypass that it wasn't reversible, since then I have heard several times that it is. I understnad that it is a complicated operation as is the bypass in the first place has any one had it reversed. I do not want mine reversed but it is always a question I have wanted to ask about. Any body got any answers????:confused:
Hi, Chrisa. I'm new here so be patient and ignore my errors.

I'm 14 yrs post RNY and never dreamed there would be a day I would even think about reversal.
To answer your question , yes, it can be done, I am researching a lot, met with my surgeon , having an upper GI and then I'll think more about it after I meet with him to go over GI and labs. Scary decision. But I think if I don't, it will shorten my life. I know it's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and not in positive ways.
I started at 239 & I'm 99-103 since 2010 , when my health went from bad to worse. Hope that answered your question. RNY CAN BE REVERSED -a very major surgery.

I'm sorry to hear about your poor health WLSregrets. Do you feel up to sharing a bit more about your story? It often helps others to hear other peoples experience, even if it is not always positive.
Is your illness all WLS related?
Welcome to the site. It is a very supportive, informative and friendly place. I'm sure you'll receive lots of support here as you undertake the next stage of your journey.
Good luck xx

Last edited:
wlsurgeryregrets - sorry your not well. Thankyou for sharing

I hope that things get better with you, and that whichever you decide leads you to a more healthy & happier path x

Thanks

Thanks for the "like" vote, button or whatever it is!

I'm VERY NEW to this site and don't quite understand it yet.

wlsurgeryregrets - sorry your not well. Thankyou for sharing

I hope that things get better with you, and that whichever you decide leads you to a more healthy & happier path x
Hi! Thank you for the well wishes and welcome.
To quickly answer your question, yes, I am 99% confident it's bypass related. I didn't start to regret it until about 2010. Took me a long time to realize how much it's affected my life. Not just mentally , emotionally, physically but financially it's DRAINING. My medical bills last year meaning totaled billed to my insurance company, reached over $400, 000.00 .
Not 100% sure when and if I am doing it. I'm doing a lot of homework, which I did prior to the first time. ..but you just don't know.
Thanks

Back