• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am i too young for a bypass?

Rachel89

Im 22 and just had my appointment with dietican and nurse a few weeks ago! Because i have a silly eaten pattern. example sometimes... I can get up at 7am have cup of tea leave and not come home till 5pm and still not have had a thing. Put my little one in bath and off to bed,, then ill finally eat a big meal. (my little ones is 15 months so a lot easier that way) Not like that all the time either. I've been trying to eat breakfast and dinner too... But anyway she advises either a sleeve or a bypass. But thinks a bypass is a bit extreme for my age. She said about not getting the nutrients you need so you have to take 4 tablets aday n have an injection every 3 months for the rest of all my life... Which is why she explained she thought it was bit much for me? But i am more inclined to go for the bypass with it being a bit more extreme. If you kinda understand... I want the best results would be with a bypass, its more perminant... I have looked into quite a bit of info, just bit puzzled. I know theres young people had bypass's on here (not done at sunderland like) and dont even take all the tablets, they were told they didnt need too... Confused.com haha xx

I don't think your age has any bearing on it once you've finished growing. I wish I'd had my bypass in my 20's instead of being morbidly obese at 45! As far as the supplements go, If they are advised then take them. Your body needs them in order to function properly. Especially the calcium and D3 for your skeleton. The last thing you want is osteoporosis in middle age. And as far as the B12 injection is concerned, they are working on making this in tablet form so hopefully we wont need the jabs for life. However, 4 injections a year are a small price to pay.

i believe everyone has to take vitamins in some form or another, but i didn't have either op i had DS but there are many people on here who had sleeve and have lost loads of weigh as do bypassers , i think it kind of depends on your own eating habits :) good luck with whatever you decide xx

Hey im 19 and my dietician and consultant advised me that he bypass is best for me, i guess everyone had there own way of thinking

I know, she just said it was a bit severe for me... But If that was the case why am i there for help off them haha x

I don't think your age is an issue.

However you do need to be confident that you can make the dietary and lifestyle changes required post-operatively.

You will have to eat around five times a day to begin with and then eventually three. You will also have to take great care with the types of foods you eat, making sure to eat as much protein as possible.

This is all aside from the need to take vitamin and calcium supplements for the rest of your life.

I am not trying to put you off. I myself had a bypass in June 2011. But there are more changes than I ever anticipated. I know that some people have found their journey really easy in comparison I have struggled and am only recently truly getting my head around everything.

If you meet the criteria and feel ready and informed then go for it.

Good luck

Julie xx

I know, thats the thing. I was informed about the tablets and injections but thats it... Nothing about my lifestyle. I find it very hard to eat 3 times a day... Nevermind 5 x

hya im 21 and had my bypass at sunderland 4 weeks ago finding it hard but the tablets hv just become part of my routine i say go 4 it x

Oh great, hows it going? What pre op diets did u give u aswell? Im little clueless to be honest at the moment x

no xxx

I'm 24 and I'm going for the sleeve at Sunderland this Friday. If u want any info just let me know or follow my diary :) To be honest I wasn't fussed wot op I had as long as it helps me lose this weight. The surgeon did advised me to go for the sleeve and who am I to go against all his knowledge. I'm sure he wouldn't advise me to get something that he didn't think was for the best. But that's just my way of thinking. U do wot u feel happy with :) xx

Rachel89 said:
Thank you, yeah i agree... keep me posted though :) x

I will do Hun, if u find my diary I'l be posting in there step by step in hospital etc! I'm on day 6 of pre op diet now and go into hospital Thursday op on Friday xx

I dont really no how to work this to be honest, i think i need to post more... So i can add a picture, see peoples profiles etc... I only joined this app about 2 weeks ago, someone said i need over 50 posts or something lol xx

Rachel89 said:
Ooo and how exciting :( wish it was me haha good luck hun xx

It will be you soon hun!! If u go back through the threads u will see my diary. Or just keep a look out for it I'm going to post in it soon so u will probs see it :) xx

if you do the word association threads it will soon add your posts up so you can do more on here :)

Good luck Hope :) looking forward to reading your diary, i am having the sleeve in sunderland this year.

Hey honey, I'm 22 as well and having a bypass this year none of the docs or nurses I've seen. said It was too extreme for my age infact the surgeon was so pleased with me for doing it now, I too have a young child (hes 3) I just want the best results too, what's ur bmi hun Xx

Hello Rachel, I don't have any advice to give as i am not having surgery but my daughter will be at some point. She is 18 this summer and her BMI is over 50. not sure what surgery she would be recommended for as we have not seen a consultant face to face only had personal advice from a couple. An NHS referral for her has failed du to being under 18 and she is seeing a dietician who works with people to prepare them for surgery. She had a conversation last night with me and she feels that the bypass is scarey as it is permanently life changing and she is also so young. I guess it is all alot to get your head around. Interstingly she can go through periods of not eating for a long time then eating lots in a short space of time. These are the things she is working through with the dietician and doing really well at too. lovely to see posts on here from other young people. I origionally went on here to meet other young people in the hope that maybe me and my daughter could meet up with somone young like her just for some mutual support. Hoping my daughter will join this sight soon. i guess the decision is a clinical one and like all other surgery there is an element of trusting someone's clinical opinion. Still i am not in a place to give advice. Hope you work it all out.

Back