• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

i'm back

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
Tried to get on here last night but the stupid hospedia internet access wouldn't allow it.

i spent the first night on hdu which as ok except major itching started due to the morphine. 2nd morning moved up to enhanced nursing area where the nightmare began. have never felt so alone or upset in my life and made to feel like a trouble causer because i needed my pain releif sorted out. was left in horrible pain most of the day then they realised my canula had fallen out. disagreemements between different staff about which pain meds i was meant to be on with conflicting advice resulting in me being a crying wreck who was then ignored apart from being reminded how some people on here have bowel cancer.
now i'm still supposedly enhanced care but in a room on my own. more upset today about them wanting to take my drain out when the doctor on ward round specifically said keep it in for rest of day. He also thought i should have tried food by now but i was only on sips.

theres just no communication on here. my buzzer kept going off all night and they said thats because my canular was in a dodgy place, on my wrist. not my fault. but made to feel bad. i daren't ring for any help because they're so busy. just moved my room around so i could unpack and plug in my laptop. the pain in my side is pretty bad and the port keeps leaking but it wears off once i've sat still for a while.
will probably read this back in a few days and laugh at how miserable and moaning i am but right now i just want to get home.

Hi Yorkiegirl, Sorry to hear that your post-op care hasn't been the best the NHS can provide and you are as a result feeling so down. Hope things soon settle down and you can head home and get the rest and care you need there in comfort.
Watch the port leaks and whilst you need to mobilise to help yourself stay well don't over do it too much or you will be in for longer than you want. Hope thay have finally sorted the canular for you and you get the meds properly to.
Look forward to hearing how you are getting on when you are able as I wait my way to my date which arrived Friday, can't wait for the next few weeks to fly by and for me to be post op to.
Take care and remember rest and don't over do the exercise.

Oh Hun, I really feel for you, just keep thinking you will be home soon
BIG HUGS XX

Oh, you poor wee thing. Sounds horrible. Try and lie there, being as calm as you can, breathing, and not allow them to upset you. When you feel more relaxed take a few steps - it's best for your recovery to get mobile.
Let us know how you're getting on.

Lynda x

It will soon be over, try not to fret too much.
Take care.
Lynne x

Hi good to see u back :D sounds like my days in hospital after op !! I wish someone had warned me how bad the first few days might be .... I'm week post op now and struggling with liquids still and aches and pains everywhere lol !! Still not been no 2 so wondering if that's y I feel so rough today , :confused: glad all went well for u and hop u manage to start feeling well soon x my drain site was very leaky in hospital not much going in bag just seemed to b covering the bed sheets at night but my wounds do seem to be healing well now so I'm sure that will be fine . I think it's such a shock to the body system and of course I think this will all take time to recover but be strong and I hope in a couple of months we will both b saying how fab we feel ! Take care x x x

Oh no that sounds awful! Is there really any need to make you feel bad cos people there have cancer!! Unbelievable!!

I really hope your allowed home soon and can get on with recovering, loosing weight and feeling fabulous!!

Yorkie I am sorry to hear that things are tougher than they should be xxxx We're all thinking of you and sending good vibes..not going to be long before you're home and hopefully you will feel much much better in every way very soon xxxx
You're done now though!! Just keep thinking about all those pounds melting away xxx

oh i wouldn't have said no to the surgery, no matter how miserable the nurses were afterwards. I knew my mental health history would inflict on my care. i even mentioned my fears about that and was told i was being silly. yet they were more concerned about having me gobble down my antipsychotics than they were about helping me with my pain. my crying episode was due to feeling lousy and being left there unable to stop crying whilst in full view of several doctors who just looked the otherway. I just felt so stupid.

But i do feel better for being sat up and having contact with everyone on the net again. I don't want to put people off york hospital but i would suggest that they have someome to visit and hold their hand through the first couple of days.

btw i was meant to be second on the list but was suddenly told to go and get changed because i'd been swapped to first. that wasn't a very pleasant experience for the original first in list who had to hang around for 30 mins getting more and more worried until they told her she'd been cancelled on last minute, something to do with her heart. So at least I got to have my op.

Sorry you are having such a rough time. Hoping it will get better soon. It's suprising how much better you feel every day so here's to tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon

Sue xx

I was first on list too ! Had hour to prepare with a change of surgeon I knew nothing about and met for the first and only time 25 mins before walk down to theatre . The emotional part for me is def the hardest !

Yorkie!! I was thinking about you when I woke up this morning - glad to hear from you.

Really sorry your after care is not good. X x

Hi Yorkie

It was a disgraceful thing that they said about some people being there for bowel cancer. You should make a note of the person who said it and complain when you get out. Glad to see you are feeling a little better.

I know for some NHS staff it's just a job, but they DO still need to remember that they are dealing with people who have just had a major op. The reason WHY you had it should be irrelevant.

It always worries me seeing these discussion and debates about what you should / shouldn't be having / doing. Imagine being elderly. That generation didnt question anything. I'm glad things are changing and people feel a bit more able to question things. Anything you aren't happy with just let them know.

Oh hun sorry you have had a bad time.Lets hope things are on the mend now and you are soon up and about.

If you ever fancy coming my way I can always put the kettle on for you when your up and about again.I would love to come and see you but with work its not very often i can get away.

All the best

Jo
xx

Hugs sweetheart... so very unfair that they have been so unprofessional in their care for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery & home to where you can be comfortable real soon. x

Good to hear from you Yorkiegal and that you have your operation over with...very sorry to hear your after care is so poor and especially for trying to make you feel guilty abut other patients problems which is pretty thoughtless and hurtful under the circumstances.

Hopefully you will be out of there soon and on your way to a speedy recovery!

I hope youre home soon. and it's not to long before youre feeling better. hugs coming your way.xxx

thanks hon. am feeling much better tonight and put it all in my diary.

Hi Yorkie, Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time after you op hon, hope your not going to be in there much longer, they have no right treating anyone the way you have been. Like undecided has said already try to get the persons name and write a complaint in when you get home, if only to stop it happening to someone else in the future. Wishing you a speedy recovery xxx

Back