• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im back

PurpleKylie22

Well Last time I was looking at this seriously was Oct 2010, I figured its about time I came back. The NHS has rejected me back then, but I have sent an e-mail off to the surgeon asking him if things have changed at all. I expect not but thought its worth a try. I think I need to make another GP appointment and see if they will re-refer me, then once i get re-rejected I can contact NHS Scotland and lodge a complaint, I was thinking also about contacting my local GP?
I'm kind of stuck to be honest, I gave up before, no one cares in the NHS and I dont know what to do. My BMI is still 50, I have been around the same weight for 2 years now and before pregnancy I was the same as well, I think I have been around this size for the past 7 years if you ignore the pregnancy in the middle.

I need this surgery, I know that I need it. I need a normal active life.. I just dont know how to get it :(

welcome back, and good luck Kylie, these people are a pain in the ass lol :) xxx

Hello and welcome back Kylie.
Your GP sounds like a good starting point, although I'm not sure about the system in Scotland (although every area seems different anyway regardless of location!) at first you will probably be sent off with a diet sheet - so go along prepared to fight your corner and list everything you have previously tried and the negative impact the excess weight is having on your life (including family life with your sons)

Good luck, don't give up if this is what you want xx

Well I spoke with the surgeon, he says that they haven't changed their requirements. And he says that

The decision on local criteria rests with regional health boards and as long as they have undertaken due process to describe the criteria they feel serve their population best, then MPs would usually recognise that process.
Basically, it sounds like its never likely to change and no one cares... I just dont understand how that can be the case when my BMI is 50. I just dont know what to do, If I lived in Glasgow they would have let me have surgery by now.

Right, I have e-mailed my MP... I don't know what else to do.

Last edited:
Good luck hun, have you looked into making sure you don't have any hidden co-morbidtys ????? worth having bloods done again ect.

Good luck hun, have you looked into making sure you don't have any hidden co-morbidtys ????? worth having bloods done again ect.

I will go see about getting tests done again, but last time there were none really... I dont have sleep apnea or diabetes, My dad died at 47 of a heart attack so I am concerned about heart problems, but GP didnt seem to think it was an issue, I do get back / hip pains, but generally its livable, I have mentioned to the doctor but strong painkillers make me dizzy and sick so paracetamol / ibupafen tend to be their only advice, I feel like I'm falling to pieces to be honest

Oh Kylie, I really feel for you.

Writing to your MP is the only thing you can do at this point. So good luck with that Hun.

XxX

Hi Kylie
Where about in Scotland are you? I am in NHS Lothian and they have introduced a five tier weight management programme. You need to get referred by the GP. I was referred 18 months ago and gave up and was fortunate to be able to go private.

One person I know of who is in the process of this system is Drylaw. Her journey has been a long one too.

Good luck with your journey.

Crackers x

Hi Kylie
Where about in Scotland are you? I am in NHS Lothian and they have introduced a five tier weight management programme. You need to get referred by the GP. I was referred 18 months ago and gave up and was fortunate to be able to go private.

One person I know of who is in the process of this system is Drylaw. Her journey has been a long one too.

Good luck with your journey.

Crackers x

Hi Crackers, I'm in Aberdeenshire. I believe I fall under NHS Grampian. Honestly If I was able to I would give up and go private as you did, must be such a relief! :)

Welcome bk hun n good luck x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Crackers, I'm in Aberdeenshire. I believe I fall under NHS Grampian. Honestly If I was able to I would give up and go private as you did, must be such a relief! :)

Hi! it was a great relief to go private. A new experience for me! I am a bit of a control freak and it meant I could have the surgery when it suited me.

Anyway I have done some digging and it would appear that in Scotland they are considering changing the criteria for surgery to bmi of 35 to 39, with recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes! Haven't seen any public announcements about this though.

So is your plan to go back and pester your GP?

Cx

Hi! it was a great relief to go private. A new experience for me! I am a bit of a control freak and it meant I could have the surgery when it suited me.

Anyway I have done some digging and it would appear that in Scotland they are considering changing the criteria for surgery to bmi of 35 to 39, with recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes! Haven't seen any public announcements about this though.

So is your plan to go back and pester your GP?

Cx

MY GP has already happily referred me, there's nothing else that she can do. The Weight management program wont accept me. They make no exceptions outside of BMI of 60+ unless you have type 2 diabetes which I don't.. I Actually wish i did :(

So I am going to the local MSP.

Back