• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Rejected

PurpleKylie22

I got my letter through today and they have rejected me for the hospital programme becuase my BMI is under 60. They have suggested I join a non surgical programme. The letter went to my GP and she has forwarded it on to me with a note that if I want to try the other suggested groups to get in contact.
My first thoughts are that I should write back to the hospital asking them to re-consider as I have a history of family heart problems, explain how much reserch I have done e.t.c and to make a doctors appointment aswell. But I really dont know where to go from here. I have tried non-surgical methods, I know that they do not work for me, I meet the NICE guidelines, I meet NHS Scotlands guidelines which surely should apply to me since I live in Scotland, but Im not fat enough to qualify for Aberdeens guidelines :cry:
I feel like If I ever gained the extra 5 stone I need to qualify I would be dead from a heart attack before hand.

What else can I do, I dont have diabetes and I am 5 stone short. Other than find a way to get diabetes or gain 5 stone (honestly neither of which I would actually consider) it sounds like I am stuck. Took so much courage to go and even ask in the first place.

oh im so sorry hun, its ridiculous to change the criteria to 60!! im awaiting funding and im sure i will get the same letter as you. Don't be downhearted write a letter back to the PCT with your family history etc, its worth another go!!

They havent said it is open to appeal, they just flat out rejected me. Urgh Im so useless, Im trying really hard not to bawl my eyes out - I am 5ft4 and I weig 300 lbs, how can they say that Im not big enough, I can barely get out of the bath by myself and no matter what I try my weight just goes up and up and up

can you get your gp to draft you a letter saying that its affecting your mental health as well, eg emotions,crying, feeling depressed, and also adding about the family problems, he might just be able to sway them if he puts it all in a letter to them. worth a try hun, hope it works out for you, i really do, hugs xx

Oh dear hun not good news, however, you shouldnt give up, write that letter and keep trying. :)

It might be worth phoning your local PALS and asking them about the appeals process. I know there are people here who've successfully appealed the decisions. BOSPA may be able to give you advice too, especially as the decision goes against the NICE guidelines.

Becuase I am in Scotland things are a bit diferent here, however one of the other girls posted a story from the Scotsman about the local bariatric surgeon who is head os SCOTS group, trying to get more people treated, I have e-mail him as another artical had his e-mail address and If I dont hear anything I will write to him and to the deparetment that rejected me stating my circumstances...
I remeber watching a programme where I was little and women went for a gastric band, she told her hubby to take a picture as this is the last time he would see her like that (fat) it was the last time he seen her alive. She died on the table. Even after that I still want this surgery, for me it feels like the only way out of the fatness, I know there is a real person underneath it all and I just want a chance to live a normal life :(

I just got this back from Duff Bruce, hes fast at responding at least.
"Hello Mrs McDonnell,

I'm sorry to hear of your plight. It sounds as if you fall into the category of patient who may be eligible for surgery by national and international criteria but who does not qualify under local Health Board thresholds. These have been set as there is only a small resource for surgery locally and nationally.

SCOTS is a registered charity that is trying to improve the options for care for people like yourself but which does not offer surgery itself.

If you have a good relationship with your GP I could perhaps liaise with them to discuss your options and the current national situation. This would be a way for you to get the best feedback of your options.

Would you mind letting me know your details and your GPs if you would value this. I'll copy this to my secretary for our records.

I look forward to hearing from you."

Wow thats amazing!! Fingers crossed for you... I'm glad that article helped. xxx

I really am please you posted that Ditzee, even if between the Dr and my GP they cant get anywhere at least I have a little more hope knowing there are people in my corner, I will keep you posted x Thank you very much!

I'm sorry i can't offer advice i just want to say one thing and i want you to hold onto it....

YOU ARE A REAL PERSON!

Don't ever judge yourself any less of a wonderful person simply because you have weight problems! There's just more of you to love xx

So sorry to here about your difficulties love. I realise every day how lucky i am to have had no problems at all getting wls. Please dont give up, carry on fighting for this and you will suceed. I would have gone to the end of the earth for this opportunity. Its awful as we focus all our time and energy on having this op. Good Luck and i cant wait to here your good news when you get excepted. x

Back