• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im Confused.

Marie1986

Im ready to start my life
Hey all..

Im looking to you lot to help me out with a difficult descision, i understand you cant make my choice for me, but i would like some advice that would make me be able to choose more easily.

Im currently on the NHS Route for weight loss surgery, my next appointment, will be to make the choice between, Lap-Band or ByPass.

I went to my first appointment with band in mind, being the safer option and me being able to get back to normal alot quicker and so on (i am house proud and have a two year old and a lazy OH, lol)..
it seems in a whole alot less of an invasive surgery compared to a Bypass.

But on my first consult, i was never asked any information on what type of eater i was and to which he preferred me to have, he just showed me two different pictures and what they do.. (i did infact disturb him eating his tea and hobnobs, so i think he may have been a little thrown!) lol..

Now, im thinking of the pro's of a band for above reasons but a bypass calls me because i think it suits my needs more, i want to say, i have the will power to use the band as an aid and struggle through it with all my efforts, but im a binge eater.

My mom is exactly the same and my nan, we all do it, we dont eat big meals, we have a snack here and there, but obviously not the right stuff, i dont eat fast amounts, its just what i eat at the time is the problem..

So guys and Girls.. What do you think?

Hi,

I did the same I went to the consultation planning on having a band and then went with the bypass in the end. You need to decide what suits you best. The band requires much more ongoing attention - having fills etc and will take time to get it to a place you are happy with. Also I was put off the band as I was told that they are more likely to have complications (although of a minor type). The band is much less surgery (obviously) and you don't have just the same worries with nutrition and absorbtion etc.

Long term (5 years) I believe the weightloss is usually the same with band as bypass but bypass losses are much quicker to start with. I was in hospital just one night and back to work after 2 weeks, my op was key hole and I think my recovery was really quick, when I went back to work I was pretty much back to normal.

You have to decide for yourself but I chose bypass because:

1. 'Slider' foods like chocolate, ice cream etc are all problems for me and I didn't want to have surgery and then still 'fail' at losing weight.
2. My surgeon recommended that I was a better candidate for bypass than band - I'm working on the basis he knows more about this than I do.
3. The recovery time was much shorter than I had been expecting.
4. Rightly or wrongly I believed bypass to be a more permanent fix.

Although I still think that the less surgery the better I generally think that I have made the right choice and I'm 6 stone lighter than my heaviest weight last summer. Either way bypass or band it is just a tool though and I'm having terrible problems with 'head hunger' this week.

Hope this helps - there's lots of people on here that will be happy to advise,

Xxxx

Hey all..

Im looking to you lot to help me out with a difficult descision, i understand you cant make my choice for me, but i would like some advice that would make me be able to choose more easily.

Im currently on the NHS Route for weight loss surgery, my next appointment, will be to make the choice between, Lap-Band or ByPass.

I went to my first appointment with band in mind, being the safer option and me being able to get back to normal alot quicker and so on (i am house proud and have a two year old and a lazy OH, lol)..
it seems in a whole alot less of an invasive surgery compared to a Bypass.
The band is a less invasive surgery, they are only placing a band around top part of stomach. The bypass re-plumbs your digestive tract. Both proceedures carry their own risks, bands can erode or slip if abused and bypasses can also be cheated by slider foods too. Both create pouches which can be stretched by overeating. Both surgerys may need to be converted to open surgery and you sign this on the consent form, so its almost impossible to predict the healing times as this also depends entirely on the person and their overall health at time of operation.

But on my first consult, i was never asked any information on what type of eater i was and to which he preferred me to have, he just showed me two different pictures and what they do.. (i did infact disturb him eating his tea and hobnobs, so i think he may have been a little thrown!) lol..

Now, im thinking of the pro's of a band for above reasons but a bypass calls me because i think it suits my needs more, i want to say, i have the will power to use the band as an aid and struggle through it with all my efforts, but im a binge eater.
I am also a binge eater, I decided on the band as it would help me to learn how to control my portions and give me a swift reminder if I didn't. This is restriction, it should only ever be an uncomfortable feeling if you have over indulged. If it is painful then you have eaten too fast or too much at once. As my surgeon told me - its a ball and chain and a whip...LOL. It does take tremendous amount of will power to make this tool work but it does work. The iniatial weight loss is less because banders do not malabsorb their food and it can also take a while to get to the right point of restriction for each person, and the variance is massive. So if you do go for a band, do not ever judge your losses or gains against anyone else. It's frustrating and destructive.

My mom is exactly the same and my nan, we all do it, we dont eat big meals, we have a snack here and there, but obviously not the right stuff, i dont eat fast amounts, its just what i eat at the time is the problem..
Do you eat more savoury than sweet? If you are a sweet toothed person, then a bypass may suit you better as usually but not always a bypasser will be unable to tolerate sugars and fats over about 5 grams (please bypassers correct if wrong) where as with the band you can still eat these if you choose too.

So guys and Girls.. What do you think?

I hope the above helps you, think hard on what you want. It is your choice and good luck with whatever journey you decide to embark on.

:)

I initially wanted a lapband. A relative of mine had hers recently and since august she lost around 45lbs so I assumed that if it was good for her, it was good for me. As I am going private, the difference between a band and bypass is around £4,000 more, so I really didn't research the bypass because of money basically. My parents are helping me financially and asking them for a further £4,000 to me sounded insane.

When I went to see my surgeon and was asked about my eating habits (I am a grazer, comfort eater but on the other hand VERY finicky with food - I hate meat for example), he was honest with me and told me not to compare myself with others. Everyone is different. He bluntly told me that for me, the band would not be successful as the bypass for me. Please, this does not mean that the band is a failure but let's face it, everyone is different - what's good for you, might not be good for me. spice of life :) People have different attitudes to food. Long story short, with my history, bypass would be better.

As I can see, you are being funded on NHS - ask you surgeon for an honest opinion and you will know that it is not influenced by money or commission etc.

Do not rush into your decision. Weigh the pros and cons..talk to these lovely ladies/gents who have had both ops (band and bypass) and look your surgeon in the eye and ask him what he really suggests.

I hope this helps and gluck with your journey

Hi

I havent got much more to add as Caz has pretty much said what I would.

The best thing you can do is to do some more research then go to your next appointment with an open mind. Listen to what they advise but ultimatley it is your decision.

My reason for having the band was that I wasnt a binge eater as such, just ate large volumes so as with Caz the band has really helped me manage my portions. I am also more of a savoury person.

Re adjustments etc - Im a private patient and my provider runs very regular clinics for weigh ins, band fills or advice. I have attended 5 (I think - not too bad for almost 9 months out) and not had a fill at each. Im very close to my sweet spot band wise. Future adjustments will be just minor tweeks to get me to goal and maintenance. I have taken the slow road to good restriction but as a result I have never been sick, had food stick or experienced any kind of discomfort beyond the full feeling.

Good luck on the rest of your journey! :D

Okay, so i've cried my eyes out, thinking about this decision..

Im a savory person, never been one to eat sweet things and portion size wise.. i dont do too bad to be honest, so i have no reason to be big apart from my eating times,
i.e. i can go all day until about 2pm before i decide im hungry and then its toast..

i've researched into most types of weight loss surgery, just for the simple fact of being curious and the only reason for not wanting a by-pass is because im worried about the recovery time..

i have a 2year old and everyone in my family work 8am-5pm..
So for the surgery, i would have to ask one of them to have time off work and the thought of having a band, seemed to be easier for everyone..

Im worried about failing on the lap-band, so this is the reason for thinking about the by-pass..

Thankyou ladie's for your advice and i shall see at the next appointment what the consultant says, and go with that.. :confused:

Oooh my, they dont make it easy, do they! and people say its a cheats way to get slim.. ppppffft!!

Thankyou again:)

I too had the band to control my portions sizes and for the fact I was too scared to have the bypass. There have been times when I wished I'd had the bypass because of the rapid weight loss. Deep down I'm happy I'm losing any weight, as without my friend "The band" I would have lost nothing and most likely gained even more. Speak with your surgeon and be totally honest about your eating habits. He can then advise you which op would be best for you. Good luckxxx

Have you researched about having the Sleeve? You could check if your surgeon performs them? I was all set to have the band as the bypass wouldnt have suited me with the malabsorption (on meds that need to stay in my stomach for 12 hours). I went to a support group meeting and talked to people who had had the band and the sleeve. Id not even researched the sleeve but I did when I got home. It seemed the best option for me. Saw my consultant and asked him if it would be ok for me. He said it would. Had it done in Dec 09 and have been great. Havent had any probs at all with food (apart from crusts on bread).

Obviously it has to be an individuals own choice but just thought Id add my two penneth. Good luck in whichever you decide.

THE SLEEVE (IF THEY DO THAT OP AT YOUR HOSPITAL) IS INBETWEEN BAND AND BYPASS. IT'S RESTRICTIVE. WORTH LOOKING INTO.
SUE.

I too wanted the band originally, just because I knew more about it and thought the bypass would be too drastic for me. Then I found this site lol! On researching loads I soon realised the bypass was the better option for me. Also, I was refused funding so had to pay for my op so I wanted something that was certain to work. On meeting my surgeon he 100% agreed it was best for me. Also taken into account was the fact I didn't want to mess about with refills afterwards.

I had my bypass 10 weeks ago and wouldn't change it for the world, I love it! I have such control over what I eat which is something I never could have dreamed of before!

Regarding the recovery time, you will need time to recouperate whichever op you have. I would say a week, minimum. I have three children so needed to be up and running again asap post op, the first week I was pretty much useless but after that the recovery was swift.

Good luck with whatever you decide and like others have said, your surgeon will advise as to what is right for you; you don't have to go with that but it's worth considering his advice.

Cuppa xx

Okay, Great advice there.. and certainly something to think about.. thankyou for your kind words of advice and i shall use this is, to finally realise what i want. x

Back