• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

choices choices choices... help!

kayulz

So... I met with Mr Ahmed at Derby who has agreed to put me on the waiting list in 3 months time providing I don't gain any weight and surgery should be in summer.

the choice of surgery is up to me but he would recommend a gastric bypass.

im worried about the mortality rates of the bypass because its 1 in 200 and I have a young toddler son to think about.

I initially said I wanted the band but Mr Ahmed said Derby's success rate is only about 30 percent of excess weight with the band so it wouldn't suit me.

im now leaning towards sleeve gastrecomy has anyone had this? how successful was it and what was recovery like?

I cannot help you regarding the sleeve or the bypass because I am a bander. But what I would say is research as much as you can, from whatever sources you can so that you can be prepared with what you want to do.

At the end of the day, take on board all of the info you find, but also make sure its the right decision for you :)

The band can be a success, if you're prepared to work with it, but what weight loss surgery to have will also reflect on your eating habits and the issues you have.

With a band "average" overall loss is 50-60% of the excess weight, but it is entirely possible to blow that out the water and reach 100%.

I went with the band as a single parent, I didn't want the more invasive surgery, and I am determined that I will not be a statistic of only losing 50 or 60% I've currently lost almost 75% :)

Have you thought about the duodenal switch? I'm a bander, but I was idly looking at the different WLS types yesterday and thought the DS seemed preferable to the RNY bypass as you don't get the dumping syndrome and still have a stomach. I wonder if perhaps it's not as widely available in the UK.

you really need to look at how you eat and the types of food rather than mortality rates also ask the surgeon his mortality rate rather than the general one. im a failed bander originaly lost about 65%ish of my excess weight and maintained well but my band moved in pregnancy and has slipped resulting in weightgain and so im having bypass , which tbh I prob should have had originally but was to scared but im incredibly sweet toothed and am praying for dumpng syndrome to help me with this. I have a toddler and teenager and although we have to think seriously about the surgery it will make so much difference to the quality of life its worth the risks imo.

derby said their average weight loss with the band is approx 30% so I would be looking at 4 and a half stone with the band which isn't a significant enough weight loss.

they only do band bypass or sleeve at derby so ds isn't an option.

I worry about the mortality rate with the bypass and the dumping syndrome. There is so much to consider. does anyone have any good sites for research? i've read the info leaflets on all 3 but want to see more and hear real peoples stories before I decide on which one

the surgeon said he had had 2 mortlities with the band both in young patients and 2 with bypass both older patients. he didn't mention sleeve rates.

my main problem is I eat large portion sizes as I don't get the satisfied feeling. its easy for people to say cut back but if it was that easy I wouldn't need surgery in the first place. I also have underactive thyroid so that makes losing even harder :(

If mr Ahmed has recommended a bypass, I'd go with his recommendation. I had my bypass at Derby with Mr Leeder in sept 2012 and haven't looked back since.

I too was worried about the mortality rate, but was out at ease by the consultant and anaesthetist. If you enjoy fatty foods, volume eat and have a sweet tooth. The bypass will work for you.

The dumping is a brilliant deterrent to keep you on the straight and narrow. As long as you listen to your dietician and do what she says, your bypass will be your best friend :)

I've seen about the dumping. Does it mean you can have anything sweet ever again though? I cant imagine life without ever having chocolate again especially times like birthdays and Christmas lol

I would go with the surgeons recommendation, as he has obviously considered it to be the best option for you.

It's only natural to worry about mortality rates but without knowing the full medical history of the poor people who did die it's difficult to determine if any of the risks would be real for you.

I've seen about the dumping. Does it mean you can have anything sweet ever again though? I cant imagine life without ever having chocolate again especially times like birthdays and Christmas lol

You can have very small amount further out of surgery. But something will always catch you out. I can manage a 2 finger kit Kat now, but only just and very rarely.

It goes down to the old fact, everyone is different, There are sleevers that dump, and bypassers that dont, and on the whole you really cant tell how you will be post-op. I dont dump in a big way, I get a slightly sickly feeling and a bit sleepy if I over do it. But I can eat a bar of chocolate, a piece of cake, all fruits etc without feeling my dumpy feeling. I read that someone dumped after a biscuit, and I sometimes wish that was me!

As for the DS, its considered the most evasive and risky surgery. It is still performed in the UK, but has lost favour because of the high risk of malnutrition.

My surgeon recommended the sleeve. Mr Baker at Spire hospital. He said that they were beginning to move away fom the band, however i stuck to my guns and chose the surgery i wanted which is the band. I'm paying for it so want the surgery i feel will help me. It is less invasive than the others which was a big pro for me, its also reversible. My bariatric nurse also said to me that one thig to udnerstand with the sleeve is that you are able to re stretch your stomach. You must sit down do some research, watch you tube vids, read peoples diaries, medical info and make the best decision you feel you can for yourself. I had a sweet tooth, and im not saying it will never come back but after 5 weeks without it no longer bothers me! All of the ops will help with your volume issue, i wish you all the best x

I agree with Paula and Mazza - be guided by the surgeon. I am a bypasser with a history of big portions of high carbs. The bypass disconnects the stomach and the hunger-driving hormone with it! The pouch which replaces the stomach is the size of an egg. For these two things I am very grateful. I am three months post-op and eat a wide range of foods now, inc the occasional bit of chocolate but in v small quantities (for example a couple of chunks). Dumping is a good tool to deal with the sweet tooth for sure x

Back