• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm driving myself crazy

cah-ching

Hi,

I read so much stuff about bypass all predominantly positive.

Yet predominantly banding attracts negativity.

Why is this?????

Are there any positive stories about banding?

Or is it a matter of statistics and ratios, that is, more people on here have had bypasses as opposed to bands?

I'm 22St 8Ibs ..... I need and WANT to get to 11St.

That means a drop of 162 Ibs ....

Is there ANYONE out there that has dropped that amount of weight following Gastric banding?

I read so many good stories about bypass (and the lesser done Sleeve) but not banding.

Can anyone help .... please?!!

Hello

I think more people still have the bypass and certainly the ratio of bypassers to banders on here is testement to that.

There was a similar post to this started the other day by Blue Diamond.

Whichever tool you chose to help you lose the weight you will need to embrace the new lifestyle that will help you shift the weight you want to lose.

I had around 90 lbs to lose and my eating habbits dictated the right choice for me. I was a 3 meals a day volume eater and dont really have a sweet tooth. Ive probably told you this before but I have only had 4 band fills and its hardly been a hassle.

The sleeve is a fairly new procedure and even more so as a stand alone.

I have found my journey so far a breeze, apart from giving up rice and pasta I eat pretty much what I used to but much smaller amounts. I would say I am succesful so far and there are many others on here that are too, once the restriction is right and you make sensible choices the weight will shift.

As I said in my reply to Blue Diamond bypassers can also fall foul of eating the wrong choices and not lose or even gain weight too.

Not much help I know, just my opinion too x

Hi,

I read so much stuff about bypass all predominantly positive.

Yet predominantly banding attracts negativity.

Why is this?????

Are there any positive stories about banding?

Or is it a matter of statistics and ratios, that is, more people on here have had bypasses as opposed to bands?

I'm 22St 8Ibs ..... I need and WANT to get to 11St.

That means a drop of 162 Ibs ....

Is there ANYONE out there that has dropped that amount of weight following Gastric banding?

I read so many good stories about bypass (and the lesser done Sleeve) but not banding.

Can anyone help .... please?!!

the bypass gets a much quicker result and better long term results, this is just MY personal opinion though. on march 22nd it will be my 5 year surgiversary and im still battling to maintain the weight ive lost, the weight you want to lose in my opinion is possible but would be very dificult to achieve with a band and a bypass would give you a better chance of reaching the goals you desire.

I will be a sleever or hopefully a bypasser if my BMI does not go higher than 55.

I totally agree with Mazza. All the types of weight loss surgery have pro's and con's but it is still down to the individual to work with the type of surgery they have had.

the bypass gets a much quicker result and better long term results, this is just MY personal opinion though. on march 22nd it will be my 5 year surgiversary and im still battling to maintain the weight ive lost, the weight you want to lose in my opinion is possible but would be very dificult to achieve with a band and a bypass would give you a better chance of reaching the goals you desire.

I agree Liz, although there are banders who have lost 100lbs plus and some have more to lose, they were probably advised to have the bypass. Its down to the individual in the end though. :D

I think that everyone just has to accept that any of the options CAN bring the results desired, however, it all depends on how much effort you are willing to put into it.

I'm very new to my post surgery journey, but I know that I will still have a propensity to gain weigt unless I work with my sleeve.

Personally I think I've made the right decision. I put a lot of thought into it and did a lot of research and I'm looking forward to getting to a normal weight. It won't happen today or tomorrow, but eventually. Then it is all up to me to make good choices and take back control.

Good luck hun xx

I think that everyone just has to accept that any of the options CAN bring the results desired, however, it all depends on how much effort you are willing to put into it.

I'm very new to my post surgery journey, but I know that I will still have a propensity to gain weigt unless I work with my sleeve.

Personally I think I've made the right decision. I put a lot of thought into it and did a lot of research and I'm looking forward to getting to a normal weight. It won't happen today or tomorrow, but eventually. Then it is all up to me to make good choices and take back control.

Good luck hun xx

Very well said :D

Hi Cah-Ching,
I posted a reply very similar to this y2day so apologies if you've seen it already (as it is virtually the same).

I adore my band and wouldn't change it for the world!!! I have so far lost over 100 lbs in under 9 months and couldn't be happier.

I was a couple of days away from having a bypass and got a serious case of cold feet - the thing that freaked me out the most was dumping syndrome and having 'choice' (of being able to eat certain foods) taken away from me. Mind you, reading many of the stories on here it is obvious that many do not suffer from the dreaded dumping syndrome - but for the ones that do, it sounds dreadful!!! I originally wanted the bypass because it is supposed to provide quicker results and I felt I had SOOOOO much weight to lose - but I just could not go through with it!!! Because of my eating habits both the bypass and band were an option for me (I have always been a 3 meal a day type of person but they were huge portions - never really snacked).

I've read many statements saying that the bypass is almost garanteed to give you a large amount of weight loss really quickly, but you only have to read stories here (never mind other sites) that tell you that's not true in ALL cases and many bypassers experience major problems with weight loss and also, maintaining that weight loss - others do brilliantly well and wouldn't change their bypass for the world. You also see some phenomenal results from people that have had the band; and others that experience major problems and virtually no weight loss.

Personally, I'm glad i went for the band - I wanted help with portion control and as i've never been one to look at a certain type of food and see it as the 'enemy' I didn't want to start by having a bypass and never being consume things that would make me dump... I just wanted help with portion control. and yes, i'm good I'd say 95% of the time, and maybe once a month, I'll replace a meal with a treat (i.e. last month I went to Haagen Dazs and had an ice-cream instead of dinner).

Overall, I've had a very positive experience with my band... it is literally my best friend. It healed nicely and quickly after the op, the band adjustments are NOT an issue for me at all, I'm not intolerant to carbs at all - I eat anything and everything and I consider my daily diet healthy and varied - but in much smaller quantities than I used to be able to consume.

Ultimately, you have to go with what 'you' feel comfortable.

Wishing you lots of luck with whatever you opt for - and in your research (I remember those days well :).

A x

I wanted a band, initially, but my surgeon advised a bypass as he felt it would:
1. Work better with my eating habits
2. Cure my hiatus hernia
3. Leave me with a lower final weight and bmi than the band

It took a bit of getting my head around the idea to start with, but I agree that the bypass is the tool for me now.

What do you mean by better long term results?

In what way do you still struggle with your band to maintain the weight you've lost?

Long term ie over a two year period the results are very similar, intially ie in the first year the losses are greater with a bypass. Remember though the figures are an average there are plenty of people on here who have blown both sets out of the water.

Bypassers and banders will still have to work to maintain their loss either could put weight back on. With a bypass the pouch stretches over time and likewise with a band pouch dialation can be an issue.

It seems that you are having a tough time deciding whats best for you but you will get there in the end, are you trying for NHS funding now?

Long term ie over a two year period the results are very similar, intially ie in the first year the losses are greater with a bypass. Remember though the figures are an average there are plenty of people on here who have blown both sets out of the water.

Bypassers and banders will still have to work to maintain their loss either could put weight back on. With a bypass the pouch stretches over time and likewise with a band pouch dialation can be an issue.

It seems that you are having a tough time deciding whats best for you but you will get there in the end, are you trying for NHS funding now?

The NHS are making it tremendously hard for me to get me anywhere. I've been going around and around in circles

What do you mean by better long term results?

In what way do you still struggle with your band to maintain the weight you've lost?

its hard work to maintain with a band, im struggling yet again and gaining weight because my band isnt working properly yet again so ive had to up the exercise to keep my weight down, even when the band is working correctly it can be hard and its so easy to cheat if your not in the correct frame of mind for what ever reasons at the time.

Very interesting post as some of you know i was originally going for the band out of fear of the extent of the bypass. That said and 7 months post op(bypass) i wouldn't have succeeded i don't think with the band as i was a huge sweet eater. I was told i could eat chocolate with a band and i would have found that way and that would have been the downward spiral for me. As Anita mentions part of her decision on going for band was fear of "dumping" well i have a huge fear of dumping too but thats what keeps me away from trying chocolate and sweets as i don't want to go through that. I worried about choices and restriction too with the bypass but i'm one of the lucky ones i can eat almost anything i want (apart from choc and sweets lol)just much less of it. To me it really is an individual choice on what you feel will work for you best depending on your eating habits and your long term goals. As others have said both options need commitment and whatever you choose i'm sure you will be very successful as lots of us on here have been grateful to discover xx

I am still so torn ......

If money were no object - I'd go with the band and if that proved unsuccessful I'd go with the bypass.

Having money in the bank for both bypass or band operations is driving me crazy.

My surgeon whom I saw for the second time on Saturday (just gone) was not swaying me either way. He basically said that both operations can be cheated. It's about working with the band or the bypass. He's not overly keen on the Sleeve (I mentioned this as an option) and was quite sure about his opinion i.e. go for the band or the bypass but not the sleeve.
He said I was able to lose sufficient amounts of weight with either option - just work with it. He is aware of my fear regarding malabsorption and replumbing.

I'm going to be brutally honest and give you a typical day for me:-

Breakfast Large bowl of cereal (or porridge) for breakfast (another bowl if I'm feeling v. greedy) :eek:. Currently I'm having Alpen with organic SS milk topped with tinned mandarins pieces (delicious and counts as one portion of my 5 fruit n veg)
200ml fruit juice (for my 5- fruit n veg portion)
glass of water (about 300 ml)

Mid-morning snack - nectarine/apple/orange/banana (although only really consumed as a breakfast alternative if I'm going to the gym). Usually I'll have 2 pieces of fruit. Today I've not had a mid-morning snack as I'm not wanting one as I'm still satisfied from breakfast.

Lunch - sandwich or something like supernoodles; today I'll be having a turkey rasher baguette with cherry tomatoes and crisps. Most days I'll have a tomato baguette (low fat marg) and a bag of crisps. Only bought the turkey rashers as a change. 1 pint of water, cup of organic white tea (not milky tea) or organic rooibos tea and possibly another fruit juice.

Mid- afternoon snack - fruit / bag of crisps / Tuc crackers 9i can get through a whole pack in a day - 1 sitting sometimes :(). Some days I'll have fruit and crisps. More fruit juice.

Dinner: chicken or fish drizzled with olive oil and roasted, lots of rice / pasta. Roast new unskinned potatoes on the side sometimes albeit rarely. Finished with whatever vegetable I fancy - brocolli, mange tout, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots & sweetcorn. I usually do a mix as I love vegetables (but hate peas - I eat them for nutrition only!) Tonight I'm having a fish stew I cooked a few weeks back ... salmon & prawns marinated in freshly ground pepper, olive oil and the rind of 2 lemons -then the fish is placed in a tin tomato base made with a little brown sugar and dark rum and parsley. I'll cook some rice to accompany it. To drink I'll have some water as I love the stuff. About 1.5 litres or I'll have fruit juice watered down with water about 1 part fruit juice and 1 part water)

Later I may have a pudding; asda rice pudding (about the only own brand food item I buy there as it's the best I've tasted) or more fruit. Last night I had both rice pud and then aite a nectarine as I walked up the stairs to bed.

Foods I tend not to eat or rarely eat:
lamb
beef
mutton
turkey
chocolate
green/red/orange/yellow peppers
cucumber (realised last week that it gives me terrible indigestion)
Sugary cereals (sugar puffs etc.)

I must stress that the above diet is one I've formed intuitively over the last 5 or so months after finally banishing the evil Cambridge Diet to the depths of hell for good.

I've made a conscious decision not to go into the binge/famine cycle that I learned and executed while trying to succeed on the Cambridge Dieting since 2005.

I've been eating what I want when I want and the aforementioned post is the cycle I've found myself in now.

Hi Cah ching

When I went for my first consultation with the surgeon (NHS) he asked me what I ate in a typical day and what I would eat on a bad day. From this he asked me what operation I thought I would like and then he gave me his opinion and reasons for his choice. I was quite shocked when he said a bypass as at a private consultation I was told a band would be ideal. But I have faith in my surgeon and I know what he has suggested is best for me in the long term.

I would suggest that you continue your research until you are happy with the decision that you have made especially if your surgeon is not suggesting a particular operation. Have you tried doing a pro/con list of the different types of surgery?

I completely understand CC. It took me three years to decide which surgery was right for me.
My number one priority was whichever I chose I wanted it to be as permanent as possible. With the band there is something like a one in ten failure rate, (or so I read) so that was out for me. The bypass and duodenal switch I considered. With the bypass the stoma can stretch leaving very little restriction, not to mention the dumping or the thought of never being able to eat a piece of cake without worrying I'd be ill from it.

Two different surgeons both advised me that the duodenal switch was far too drastic for me and was better for those with a BMI above 55.

I once managed to lose 8 stone but sadly regained every ounce of it, so to me it wasn't the discipline or the dieting that was the biggest problem, it was keeping the weight off.
Eventually, after much research I chose the Gastric sleeve.
No malabsorption issues with vitamins etc, it's a permanent restriction with new smaller stomach which works the same as before. Also the sleeve has the effect of reducing your appetite.
To me it all added up to being the right operation for me. I only had the surgery six weeks ago and I'm doing great. Only time will tell if I made the right decision, but so far I am convinced I have.

Hi Cah ching

When I went for my first consultation with the surgeon (NHS) he asked me what I ate in a typical day and what I would eat on a bad day. From this he asked me what operation I thought I would like and then he gave me his opinion and reasons for his choice. I was quite shocked when he said a bypass as at a private consultation I was told a band would be ideal. But I have faith in my surgeon and I know what he has suggested is best for me in the long term.

I would suggest that you continue your research until you are happy with the decision that you have made especially if your surgeon is not suggesting a particular operation. Have you tried doing a pro/con list of the different types of surgery?

Hi.

I've done a pro/con list in my head but never put it down on paper. May be I should.

Thanks

Back