• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm driving myself crazy

A question:

If malabsorption isn't the definer - why do people do better with bypass than they do with band?

Another question:
I don't know of the US forums ... anyone know of any - just for research pruposes. PM me pls. :)

Knowing what I know now, I think I would have gone for the sleeve. I can make the band work for me but it's harder than I hoped it would be. I was / am a volume eater and a snacker. I did not get the NHS help though, so the band was all I could afford and not so final an op.
I think you are wise to be thorough in listing pros and cons regarding which op. The more I hear/read about the sleeve the more I feel I probably should have had that as the best option for my particular situation.
However, what's done is done and I have to get myself to be disciplined and use what I have as best as I can.
One thing is certain, for me personally the band was the intervention tool I needed at the time to save me from far greater risks..like dying early from obesity related diseases and leaving my kids too soon.

Hhhhhmmmmm... interesting. The more I hear of the sleeve the more I like it. Although Mr. Khan isn't hot on the sleeve he said just go for the bypass which gives better results for the same price.

He repplied to my text message by the way (lol) and said:

"the decision has to be mine" :D

Cah-ching its such a hard choice to make. I hope you find the right process for you real soon xx

The sleeve does sound a very good option, less intrusive than the bypass plus no adjustments needed. Also because they remove the part of your stomach that 'makes' you hungry its a good appetite suppressent, head hunger only to deal with.

I am still so torn ......

If money were no object - I'd go with the band and if that proved unsuccessful I'd go with the bypass.

Having money in the bank for both bypass or band operations is driving me crazy.

My surgeon whom I saw for the second time on Saturday (just gone) was not swaying me either way. He basically said that both operations can be cheated. It's about working with the band or the bypass. He's not overly keen on the Sleeve (I mentioned this as an option) and was quite sure about his opinion i.e. go for the band or the bypass but not the sleeve.
He said I was able to lose sufficient amounts of weight with either option - just work with it. He is aware of my fear regarding malabsorption and replumbing.

I'm going to be brutally honest and give you a typical day for me:-

Breakfast Large bowl of cereal (or porridge) for breakfast (another bowl if I'm feeling v. greedy) :eek:. Currently I'm having Alpen with organic SS milk topped with tinned mandarins pieces (delicious and counts as one portion of my 5 fruit n veg)
200ml fruit juice (for my 5- fruit n veg portion)
glass of water (about 300 ml)

Mid-morning snack - nectarine/apple/orange/banana (although only really consumed as a breakfast alternative if I'm going to the gym). Usually I'll have 2 pieces of fruit. Today I've not had a mid-morning snack as I'm not wanting one as I'm still satisfied from breakfast.

Lunch - sandwich or something like supernoodles; today I'll be having a turkey rasher baguette with cherry tomatoes and crisps. Most days I'll have a tomato baguette (low fat marg) and a bag of crisps. Only bought the turkey rashers as a change. 1 pint of water, cup of organic white tea (not milky tea) or organic rooibos tea and possibly another fruit juice.

Mid- afternoon snack - fruit / bag of crisps / Tuc crackers 9i can get through a whole pack in a day - 1 sitting sometimes :(). Some days I'll have fruit and crisps. More fruit juice.

Dinner: chicken or fish drizzled with olive oil and roasted, lots of rice / pasta. Roast new unskinned potatoes on the side sometimes albeit rarely. Finished with whatever vegetable I fancy - brocolli, mange tout, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots & sweetcorn. I usually do a mix as I love vegetables (but hate peas - I eat them for nutrition only!) Tonight I'm having a fish stew I cooked a few weeks back ... salmon & prawns marinated in freshly ground pepper, olive oil and the rind of 2 lemons -then the fish is placed in a tin tomato base made with a little brown sugar and dark rum and parsley. I'll cook some rice to accompany it. To drink I'll have some water as I love the stuff. About 1.5 litres or I'll have fruit juice watered down with water about 1 part fruit juice and 1 part water)

Later I may have a pudding; asda rice pudding (about the only own brand food item I buy there as it's the best I've tasted) or more fruit. Last night I had both rice pud and then aite a nectarine as I walked up the stairs to bed.

Foods I tend not to eat or rarely eat:
lamb
beef
mutton
turkey
chocolate
green/red/orange/yellow peppers
cucumber (realised last week that it gives me terrible indigestion)
Sugary cereals (sugar puffs etc.)

I eat more than that ............. lol.

The sleeve does sound a very good option, less intrusive than the bypass plus no adjustments needed. Also because they remove the part of your stomach that 'makes' you hungry its a good appetite suppressent, head hunger only to deal with.

Do you get hungry with the band? I was told that the band in itself acts as an appetite supressant

Do you get hungry with the band? I was told that the band in itself acts as an appetite supressant

Somedays I do more than others. If im exercising a lot then yes i do but I always try and make sure I have my 3 meals a day and fruit as snacks even if I dont feel hungry :D

:cry: still no futher forward.

I go form being certain about the band to thinking I'll call surgicare and change to a bypass

:hug99:Oh dear, have you ruled out the sleeve now? I know you said the surgeon you want isnt so keen on them. Sorry if that confuses you even more.

Im sure you will make the decision thats right for you soon x

I've only just noticed you're in Warwickshire. Not far :)

If I got to 14St I'd be very happy .... if I could achieve getting to 16St (94Ibs loss) by November, I'd be even happier. It might not happen, by November, but I'd like to no for sure it will happen.

Keep reading stories about pain and complications and revision surgeries! :eek:

Fear of dumping ... for bypass? Well dumping doesn't happen for many. If malabsorption is only 30% and restriction 70% - why d bypassers seem to do so much better?

I wanna be slim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhh

I'm also worried that if I have internal trouble with my band after two years (which seems to be the marker on these websites) I'll have to pay for revision etc. and right now there is no way I could save the cash for private revision surgery. My surgeon said that I'd be able to get help from the NHS should problems occur is that correct?! I'm sure my GP said she wouldn't touch me if I went private (not that she's been ANY help getting me referred on the NHS) :mad:.

I'm so frustrated and mixed up, I just wanna :cry:

Apart from Liz who is NHS and as you know is on band number two and her tummy tuck may have caused the problem with this band, Yvonne's port flipped and was repositioned, it may have again and she has been taken on asn an NHS patient. One others band was in the wrong place, this op was done abroad but corrected here (not sure if NHS). I dont really know is the answer, a good provider would not leave you high and dry if the problem was not of your doing.

Im not going to try and sway you either way but as you have no doubt read there can be problems with all forms of surgery.

What is your head telling you?

Apart from Liz who is NHS and as you know is on band number two and her tummy tuck may have caused the problem with this band, Yvonne's port flipped and was repositioned, it may have again and she has been taken on asn an NHS patient. One others band was in the wrong place, this op was done abroad but corrected here (not sure if NHS). I dont really know is the answer, a good provider would not leave you high and dry if the problem was not of your doing.

Im not going to try and sway you either way but as you have no doubt read there can be problems with all forms of surgery.

What is your head telling you?

My head is saying band - no gastroadjustment, eating normally, just smaller portions,
My heart is saying bypass - no will power needed, no hunger.

To hell with all this ...........

If the band is crap and it doesn't work I'll push for a bypass on the NHS! :mad:

Thats it, I'm having a band. No more qorries or quandries!!!! I'm sick of it. lol.

My first fill is 23rd May, but I'm in Cuba then so I'll have it when I come back.

You will be fine, youve found yourself a good surgeon who supports whichever option you chose.

Good luck and it WILL work because you will make it! X X

YAY... so pleased to see you have made a decision. I have to say I think you have made the right decision for you. xx

YAY... so pleased to see you have made a decision. I have to say I think you have made the right decision for you. xx

Lol would you have said that if I said I was going for the bypass? :D Now I'm beginning to doubt ... lol :bolt:

Hi CC

So glad that you have made your decision. When will you be having your surgery?
Hiya, lol have you been lurking on this thread?

I'm an indecisive cow aren't I? lol. :eek:

Surgery is in April and my first fill is scheduled for 26th May, but I'm in Cuba so I'll have it when I'm back.

Has anyone had to inform their insurer of their band? I may just do so. .

Back