• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm in a quandary!

Montana

Work have just rung me to say that there's some training happening tomorrow that I really need for when I eventually come back. They've asked me if I'll come in for the day but have said there is no pressure. It's kind of one of those situations where they say there's no pressure but in reality you kinda feel like there is!

I don't know whether to go or not. If I do go, are they going to think that I'm fit to come back to work full time? Or will they understand that it's just one day of sitting in a training room which is very different to my usual role!

I don't know what to do for the best, I know I need this training to prepare for a new responsibility I'll be given on my return but will it also look bad if I do go? Will it make me look like I'm taking the mick by being signed off?

Any thoughts?

H xx

Hun you gave them a certificate to say your unfit for work until the date that expires... so if you do go in, they cant make you work and they cant expect you to go in... i work in supermarket type shop.. and in the 6 weeks i was off i went in there shopping a couple of times... there is nothing they can do xx

Work have just rung me to say that there's some training happening tomorrow that I really need for when I eventually come back. They've asked me if I'll come in for the day but have said there is no pressure. It's kind of one of those situations where they say there's no pressure but in reality you kinda feel like there is!

I don't know whether to go or not. If I do go, are they going to think that I'm fit to come back to work full time? Or will they understand that it's just one day of sitting in a training room which is very different to my usual role!

I don't know what to do for the best, I know I need this training to prepare for a new responsibility I'll be given on my return but will it also look bad if I do go? Will it make me look like I'm taking the mick by being signed off?

Any thoughts?

H xx

Tell them NO
You can do the training when you are fit to go back to work.
Your Dr has given you a sick note for a reason and no employer has the right to ask you to go to work when you have a sick note.
Would they ask you to go in if you had a contagious disease with a sick note.
Me thinks not.

They must know that the training is not as exerting as a normal day. You could say you are prepared to give it a try on the proviso that you might have to go home if you do not feel up to it. Only you know your employers and what this training involves. Any possible interference with your recovery and it would not be worth it.

If it was me, Montana, I would most probably go.

But if you are feeling weak / worried about travel / crowds of people / carrying your handbag etc, then say no the journey would be too exhausting for you.

I really would make a decision based on how I personally was feeling 2 weeks (or whatever) post op.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Hiya. I think you need a discussion with them.
If you want to attend, let them know how enthusiastic, flexible and committed you are but explain that you will need collecting and taking home, that they will need to make sure there is a suitable, comfortable chair and that you may not manage the whole day. Also query with them if you are covered by their employee liability insurance whilst you have a sick note in place. I work for a local authority and if staff are signed off they are not covered so are not allowed to come to work .
If you don't want to go, let them know how enthusiastic, flexible and committed you are, but explain you really are not any where near well enough to attend and certainly wouldn't want to do anything that would set you back and cause a delay to your return
xx

I'm local authority too, I did ask if I was allowed to come in seeing as I was signed off and they said "well technically you're not at work are you so it will be fine". They've arranged for someone to pick me up and bring me home and I did say I might not last the whole day.

However, I think I'm going to tell them I'm not coming and cancel the lift. Just the thought of eating pots of pureed food in front of everyone has put me off. I'll stick to going back when I can eat proper food!!

Thanks for all the responses peeps :)

H xx

i went in to work 3 times while i was signed off - but its up to you and how you feel i was glad of the change to be honest got fed up at home

Hannah, If you're at a training day you're at work and that isn't the point anyway. My HR advise that if there was an accident the staff member wouldn't be covered and won't let anyone come in without a fit note! If you were visiting that would be different as you'd be covered by the public liability rather than employee liability insurance I think. It's something technical but I know I wouldn't let any of my team attend whilst signed off. Interesting to hear the different advice from different employers !

No quandary here, I'm a trainer and last thing you want is a delegate not giving it their all in the training room. Its a clear no for me. this is more about the company having to provide a mop-up session when you return which is obviously a cost and inconvenience to them!!! Please don't go...a sick note is there for a reason x

Back