• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Sleeve Training

Mixman

I've opened a thread here as I tried to start one in the fitness section but it's not letting me open that part of the forum for some reason.

So anyway, my training.

I always tell people that before my operation, I used to be one of these people that used to look at others that wre running/cycling etc and always think that they must be mentally different to me. I have NEVER had the urge to do ANY exercise. It's just not in my mental make-up. Well, it wasn't.

Now, it's very hard for me NOT to exercise. I feel I have let myself down if I don't now. But also, it's because of the person I am.

I have ALWAYS been one of them people that care about what other people think of me and feel about me and always tried to be friends with everyone. I don't know if you could dall it cowardly, no idea, but I'm not a coward. If situations require me to be strong I am. So I'm not sure what it is. This also plays a lot in why I train too. What would other people think if I wasn't training. I know firstly, it's for me, but the other bit, it's beause of other people.

Also, being asked to attend the pre-op meetings have been a bonus too as I think I can't exactly turn up preaching how well I've been doing if I'm eating crap and being lazy.

But then there's the macho bollox. You know us guys, I can lift heavier than you, I can cycle further than you etc etc. There's also some of that involved. It's like grrrrrrrrr, I'll do 500 miles this month if it kills me as such and such has just done this.

I've no idea where I want to go with this thread now as I forgot what I wanted to originally say! :cool:

Anyway, for you guys that don't believe you're going to do any of these things talked about by us post oppers. Believe in it, it will happen to you :)

There's another 60 mile to go on this graph for this month

Mileage1.jpg

Our own Action Man ;)

I'm wondering when I can start exercising! I had my op just over 2 weeks ago :)

Well done Mixxy... look forward to joining you on a cycle ride when I can get on a bike again!

Very inspirational as always... thank you xxx

youre doing so well mixxy, and what a star for all your exercise , i know what you mean about not thinking ill be able to do it lol, i keep wondering like jo when i should start and by how much, i still feel big and cumbersome at the moment and cant imagine jumping up to get on with exercise lol
And as for the macho thing... well !! you are mr. man !!! lol and grr grrr grrrrrrr go for it (flexes muscles ;) )
xxx

After seeing your progress I am inspired to go cycling.
I used to love cycling as a kid and want to restart once my weight gets down to appropriate for a bike( unless anyone knows where I can get a reinforced bike).
I hope to combine it with my photography so my n the missus can be off out in the days to come without the car.

Mixxy...your graphs are wonderful to look at..
I beleive you have to create new goals to over reach and stretch yourself...Its not just a bloke thing..i know some very compative women lol
I think what you have done is fantastic.....very inspirational...

Have you done charity rides???I know some people do a long bike trips around Egypt(I have jokes in my head about being in de NILE lol)....

Keep up the good work hun x x x

I did a charity ride in mmmm July I think it was. I raised £498 for Andreas Gift charity :)

But that was only 38 miles from Humber Bridge to York Minster

I am going to do the coast to coast in 2 days soon, maybe next year, but this time I'm going to do it properly. I didn't really push for sponsers last time. And this time I'm going to do it for a weight related charity

You are truely inspirational. Because of your efforts I have joined a gym and go every week day. Unbelievably I absolutley love it! I have even started running on the tread mill and e=run 1k most days. Not on your level I know but huge for me.

I think you are amazing, you have accomplished such a lot. I love swimming but since having the twins 2 years ago i only go for a splash with them not proper swimming as i dont have anyone to look after them during the day so i can go and on an evening when hubby home it is too much effort to drag myself out of the house. I keep thinking when i'm thinner...... so i hope you are right and my mind set will change because i am quite scared to be honest that one day i will be thin only to find that i am was not the worlds best procrastinator because i was using my fat as an excuse but in fact i really am just plain lazy.

Hi Mixxy, you are doing fantastic, just look at your graph.

You are so inspiring love and with folk like you around i know that even though hard i will win this.

Im going to the support group at meadowhead tomorrow with a push and shove from my skinny friend, but its the inspiration from you and others on this site that has made my mind up.

Thank you so much and well done xxx

Hi Mixxy, you are doing fantastic, just look at your graph.

You are so inspiring love and with folk like you around i know that even though hard i will win this.

Im going to the support group at meadowhead tomorrow with a push and shove from my skinny friend, but its the inspiration from you and others on this site that has made my mind up.

Thank you so much and well done xxx

Well tell Narissa that Mickie says hello and sorry he couldn't make it but he's already looking forward to the next meeting :)

Well I'm all geared up to start making exercise 'normal' & 'enjoyable' for me...bit too soon at 2 wks post op for me to start with much at the minute, but as a motivator I have signed up for the Plymouth half marathon next May...I'd love any tips on how to safely start running & build up stamina if anyone has got some? xxx

I'm going to buy a mountain bike after Christmas. Since my last BIG surgery I think 3 months minimum (I had a laparotomy so there's a lot of healing to do) but my little bro who's really into cycling told me on Saturday about Dalby Forest which isn't far away from me and has some beginners' trails as well as much more advanced ones too.

I'm really looking forward to it. Wel done for beiong so inspirational Mixy!

I've opened a thread here as I tried to start one in the fitness section but it's not letting me open that part of the forum for some reason.

So anyway, my training.

I always tell people that before my operation, I used to be one of these people that used to look at others that wre running/cycling etc and always think that they must be mentally different to me. I have NEVER had the urge to do ANY exercise. It's just not in my mental make-up. Well, it wasn't.

Now, it's very hard for me NOT to exercise. I feel I have let myself down if I don't now. But also, it's because of the person I am.

I have ALWAYS been one of them people that care about what other people think of me and feel about me and always tried to be friends with everyone. I don't know if you could dall it cowardly, no idea, but I'm not a coward. If situations require me to be strong I am. So I'm not sure what it is. This also plays a lot in why I train too. What would other people think if I wasn't training. I know firstly, it's for me, but the other bit, it's beause of other people.

Also, being asked to attend the pre-op meetings have been a bonus too as I think I can't exactly turn up preaching how well I've been doing if I'm eating crap and being lazy.

But then there's the macho bollox. You know us guys, I can lift heavier than you, I can cycle further than you etc etc. There's also some of that involved. It's like grrrrrrrrr, I'll do 500 miles this month if it kills me as such and such has just done this.

I've no idea where I want to go with this thread now as I forgot what I wanted to originally say! :cool:

Anyway, for you guys that don't believe you're going to do any of these things talked about by us post oppers. Believe in it, it will happen to you :)

There's another 60 mile to go on this graph for this month

Mixman

Here it is!!! I was wondering when you were going to start this thread.

I thought it'd be a general one ... rather than a "Gastric Sleeve" one but I can forgive you for that ;)

I must admit that I'm someone that has always dabbled in fitness in one way or the other on and off.

I joined a running club frequented only by marathon runners, who managed to get me up to a few miles, but my knees were terribly painful afterwards. At the time I didn't stop to think of the long term damage ... silly me! I used to go running then go and swim 50 lengths of a pool then go home and relax. Or I'd go running then go to the gym so a spin class followed by a body pump class. Craziness I know.

I think the thing with me was consistency. While I have enjoyed exercise - I didn't enjoy it enough to be consistent. I didn't feel the NEED to be there.

I was very sick after my operation and I was unable to exercise for quite a while afterwards. ALthough I was gagging to - but again wonce I did start I didn't truly get into it.

However it seems that something has clicked in my head and I feel bad if I can't go to the gym. I guess I've been consistent and I can now feel myself getting fitter (although I still sweat buckets due to my fat suit), I don't want to lose what I've achieved.

As you may or may not know my losses haven't been great and as a result it's been suggested I cool off the gym for a bit ... but I truly can't because I'm scared of not going and losing my fitness gains ... pathetic lol.

I also get a real buzz from the workout to the point that when I've broken the barrier I feel I can keep going forever. As a result of the buzz I find it tremendously hard to sleep at night and cannot drop off until about 4am. My best nights sleep come when I haven't worked out :eek:. SO I'm trying to counter that by using hypnosis to doze off - it seems to work 50/50 of the time.

So back to the point I made about consistency ... I'm finding I enjoy the gym as for me it's a social thing too. I also like to exercise on my own and really want to start running again, but cannot until I lose the weight :(. Exercise only accounts for 20% of weight loss 80% is accounted for by what we put in our mouths .. so I know it's the idea of being fit that I'm addicted to and has been a longstanding goal of mine.

I weight train because it has many health benefits:
  • keeps your inner as well as your outer body fit and young
  • increases bone density thus protects the bones against oesteoprosis
  • reduces inches on your body
  • muscle is active tissue so burns calories - 1 pound of muscle means you burn an extra 50 calories per day just by standing still
  • muscle helps optimise the bodies efficiency in burning calories during aerobic exercise

After my Zumba class I did my legs and shoulders (compund). My friend always says to me weight training ones legs seperates the men from the boys (or the girls from the women in my case :D) because a good leg work out can really fatigue you due to the size of the muscle.

I musy admit I felt sick after my leg curls (as I often do) because thats the way it makes me feel and I work until I burn that way I know my muscle tissue is being very well torn.

So today I did:
Legs - Leg Extension, Leg Curls, Squats (good for the bum cheeks too)
Shoulders (Compound) - Shoulder press, Shrugs, Upright row.

(3 sets of each @ 15 reps - I superset the leg exercises and superset the shoulder exercises)

It's funny you mention the macho thing. As I said to you earlier ... I love being 'macho' too. Not for outward acceptance .. because I use the free weight area I'm usually the ONLY woman surrounded by blokes (who are usually using bad form and not lifting correctly because their weights are too heavy:rolleyes:) ... so I'm hardly going to be in competition with a load of men lol. However I am in competition with myself and love to feel the muscle burn and me pushing myself to get to the end. When I was doing my leg extension at the top of the exercise I was feeling the muscle in my leg (prodding it like a weirdo) .. its hardness and enjoying the feel of it's strength. Very strange, but it made me appreciate what the exercise is doing for me and what I have underneath my shroud of fat. (The shroud that can only be removed through eating well).

Anyway I'll stop harping on ... if you've got this far you've done well. I'm going to post my exercises with associated youtube videos (which are very good for learning technique) for my log and own use, but your welcome to look...

I hope this thread can be used as a vehicle to spur others on to enjoy exercise and realise it's benefits.
ciao :):eek:

I'm going to buy a mountain bike after Christmas. Since my last BIG surgery I think 3 months minimum (I had a laparotomy so there's a lot of healing to do) but my little bro who's really into cycling told me on Saturday about Dalby Forest which isn't far away from me and has some beginners' trails as well as much more advanced ones too.

I'm really looking forward to it. Wel done for beiong so inspirational Mixy!

Might see you up there as it's where I plan to go a lot next year :)

Back