• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm in pain....help?

Glorfindel

Six Month Post Op
Hi guys!

I'm 14 months out from gastric bypass surgery. I've never had any problems at all.

I just went to Nandos for dinner. Ate about half a chicken breast and about two tablespoons of rice, along with a couple of (very thin) slices of pita with pepper dip - I've done this several times since surgery with no problems whatsoever.

I noticed when I stood up I had a bit of stomach pain, yet no warning before and no 'fullness'. Was experiencing a bit of pain but nothing major, assumed perhaps I had eaten a bit too fast or not chewed something as well.

Went to the cinema, and had to leave before the end of the film due to horrible pain in my stomach - so the pain sort of 'peaked' about two hours after eating. Just got home now, took two ibuprofen (my surgery nurse said I could take these) two rennie and one windeze.

I'm HOPING it is due to trapped air, I know how painful it can be, hence the windeze. The pain eased off whenever I put direct pressure on my stomach or if I bent down in my middle. The pain is almost gone now, but I'm thinking that might be the ibuprofen. I did notice these past few days my stomach seemed to be a little sore? I mean a little little, nothing I even thought about till now.

Basically I'm paranoid and looking for a little bit of reassurance I haven't broken something I guess! Wondering if any of you guys have experienced it before? If it was something serious I'm guessing the ibuprofen wouldn't have staved it off..or the rennie/windeze is doing its job, I keep burping anyway.

I HAVE tried ringing my nurse, but it is late and no answer. I will speak to her tomorrow if I can contact her.

Im thinking it would probably be wind too from what you have described, obviously Im not expert lol.....but I have had trapped wind and it can be bl**dy painful! I would wait and see how you go on overnight and if there any pain there tomorrow I would deffinately speak to your team :D Hope it eases for you XX

I've had this quite a lot (I'm 5 months out) sometimes it's because something is stuck. Chicken and pork, eating too fast and not chewing enough are usually the culprits.

BUT I've also had a perforated bowel! (after 8 weeks post-op) with very similar symptoms. Please get it checked out if it gets any worse or persists.

Even with the blockage the pain gets so bad for me that I have to take Tramadol. Where you sick or did you have excess salivating?

Are you going to the loo (no.2s) and passing wind?
I wasn't properly when I had the perforation.

Sorry, I don't want to scare you and it's more than likely just something stuck.

Grace xxx

i would definately stay off the ibruprofin, i was taking arthrotec before my op, and was told that under no circumstances was i to carry on taking them, or any other form of nsaid orally, as they can lead to ulcers around the joins in the pouch. as i still needed the relief they gave me, i now have diclofenic suppositories.
depending on how often you take the ibruprofin, they could be irritating your stomach. it might be an idea to check with your team if there is anything else you can take. hope you feel better soon huni, hugs xxx

I have permission from my surgeon and the head nurse (who had a bypass herself) to take ibuprofen, I only take it perhaps...once a month or less, if that. Paracetamol makes me sick (it is the smell of it oddly!). I can only take it when I have eaten in the past few hours, only occasionally and only after I was about 8 months out, so don't worry about that.

I have a feeling it was wind, mixed with a slightly sore pouch from overdoing the fibre recently (trying to up my intake). The pain has pretty much gone now and I'm just left with soreness.

Grace - it only started a few hours ago, I haven't used the loo but I have passed wind, just a moment ago to be very frank! I haven't had any dizziness, feverish or sickness like the symptoms of a perforated bowel, thank goodness!

im so glad your feeling better huni, i suppose at 8 months out we've pretty much healed havent we, its just that i was told never to take them, but you dont take them much anyway do you, so it must be ok. i hope you dont get any more problems now, lets hope it was a one off. big hugs xxxx

You cant do anything to break yourself so dont worry (you can stretch the pouch but that does happen naturally over time and isnt something you can do in one meal)

Its a hideous feeling isnt it. Hope you feel better now

Have to agree with the above. 14 months out, everything would have healed completely and will just be functioning the same as any body part. Don't worry about this bit. Just get better :)

I honestly have to say......... The wind pain is the worst bit about this surgery

Glad you're feeling better xx

I've had this quite a lot (I'm 5 months out) sometimes it's because something is stuck. Chicken and pork, eating too fast and not chewing enough are usually the culprits.

BUT I've also had a perforated bowel! (after 8 weeks post-op) with very similar symptoms. Please get it checked out if it gets any worse or persists.

Even with the blockage the pain gets so bad for me that I have to take Tramadol. Where you sick or did you have excess salivating?

Are you going to the loo (no.2s) and passing wind?
I wasn't properly when I had the perforation.

Sorry, I don't want to scare you and it's more than likely just something stuck.

Grace xxx
hi just reading what youve put on here about bowels, for the last week ive been in constant pain, it feels like cramp from my left side to my back and front, i get cold shake and was sick, called our local dr out he just put me on laxido and bisacodyl.

through the week we got intouch with the nhs 1 on 1 huge mistake all they said was make my way to hospital, im worried its more to do with food been blocked.

the pain when it starts is so bad im crying and trying to rub my side, the only thing i can have to eat is liquids, im just so frightend i had a gastric bypass last october at sheffield.
bigbeefybuilder

Back